*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Problem i find with benchpress is i cant get the barbell to touch my chest as it feels very un-natural? i get about 1-2 inches off usually which is fine? i feel the stretch still and my chest has changed a fair amount.Should i lower weight and try to make it go to chest or it's not worth?

Internal rotation much?

Soldato
Another question from me - how anal are people about rest times? I work out alone in my garage so always know exactly how long between each set. I've found a fairly significant difference between 60s and 120s rest hence why I keep it so regimented (and list it in my log etc). Does anyone else do the same?! I know / believe that 2 minutes is recommended for strength and 60s or less for hypertrohpy due to something about ATP?

Man of Honour
Another question from me - how anal are people about rest times? I work out alone in my garage so always know exactly how long between each set. I've found a fairly significant difference between 60s and 120s rest hence why I keep it so regimented (and list it in my log etc). Does anyone else do the same?! I know / believe that 2 minutes is recommended for strength and 60s or less for hypertrohpy due to something about ATP?

For strength, the most theoretically effective period is over 120s; obviously not too long that you warm down, but long enough to allow for the stress response from teh previous set to subside.

Last time I looked at this (last year? 2013? I can't remember - it's in the Supplements thread somewhere, I think...) there isn't too much difference between 60-90s, but there is a big difference between n30-60s (i.e. the Steedie zone) and not much after 120s.

There is reasonable theory to equate the stress response from exercise to hypertrophy, ergo the more stress the bigger size gains, and so shorter = better...

This will vary from person to person, but it's generally not a bad rule of thumb. Am I fixated on rest times? Yes, when time is short... otherwise, any time between 120-180s... sometimes more. :D

Soldato
Internal rotation much?

Nope heh that's probably where i am going wrong, will start doing some rotator cuff work on shoulder days.

I rest 30s except squats i am doing about 45s....get better results.(but i am not lifting super heavy like some here which needs more rest :p )

Soldato
It also means you get through more work if you keep the rest down. I think Stronglifts etc recommend 2 mins and that's what I had always stuck to, now doing 2 mins for the main lift of the day and 60s for the remainder. Certainly notice the increased pump!

Soldato
Squat / Dead in the 1-3 rep range - 3mins
Squat / Dead in the 4+ rep range - 5mins
Bench regardless of reps - 2-3mins

During really brutal sets I've taken 10minutes before.

Associate
Squat / Dead in the 1-3 rep range - 3mins
Squat / Dead in the 4+ rep range - 5mins
Bench regardless of reps - 2-3mins

During really brutal sets I've taken 10minutes before.

I do pretty much exactly the same but I will also go by how I'm feeling. If I feel I need longer, I'll take a bit longer.

Last edited:
Associate
I know the SL app recommends 90sec if the set was 'easy', or 3mins if it was 'hard'. I normally end up somewhere between 2 and 4 minutes depending on how tough i found it. seems to be working so far, in that the weights are generally going up :p

Soldato
Another reason for being careful with rests is to keep the overall time down - I try to get my work in done in an hour or less, preferably 45 mins so a timer makes sure I don't end up day-dreaming for too long!

Soldato
Hello, I have a question about squats for you all.

I've only recently started going to the gym again. Today I decided to go in on a weekend when it was nice and quiet and to start squatting for the first time ever.

I started by just squatting the 20kg bar and my legs must be pretty pathetic as that was a challenge in itself :p Is this the norm for new squatters, is this the sort of weight people tend to start at?, I want to make sure my form is not compromised, so whilst I had a quick go at 30kg, I felt that I wasn't maintaining proper form and was struggling to get my bum to the ground.

So for now I'm sticking with just lifting the bar. Anyone else find it this difficult when first starting? I'm sure it won't take too long to build up my legs and up the weight, just a little surprised it was so difficult.

To make matters worse the escalators aren't turned on any more, so the only way out of the gym is the long walk up the escalator to the top with jelly legs :D

Still, it was fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom