ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ ||| The 2023/2024 Gym Rats Thread ||| ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Soldato
OP
MP seem to have gotten rid of the Milk Protein which is a crime against humanity as I much preferred that to whey for how I use (i.e. I never make shakes). Think I’ll have to mix whey and casein bought sep. in a big tub. :o

Soldato
Maybe an odd question, but I'm struggling trying to search for some gym shorts with the... erm... 'backwards pocket'. So, as you sit on a bench, your phone kind drops into it to the side of your thigh. I had some from Gymshark, but they don't sell any anymore. Does anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
Ok, so based on the Generic Bulk Routine template given by Lyle Mcdonald this is how I plan to run my leg days.

Day 1:
Bulgarian Split Squats​
4 x 6-8 3m​
Seated Hams​
4 x 6-8 3m​
Leg Ext​
3 x 10-12 90s​
Leg Curl​
3 x 10-12 90s​
Calves / Abs​

Day 2:

Squat​
4 x 6-8 3m​
RDL​
4 x 6-8 3m​
Leg Ext​
3 x 10-12 90s​
Leg Curl​
3 x 10-12 90s​
Calves / Abs​

I guess my question is are Bulgarian Splits Squats a good choice to lead with on day 1?

I find that heavy squats takes a toll on the lower back.

The alterative is to switch out the BSS for the trap bar deadlift.

But the argument is that the BSS is better for direct leg hypertrophy than the trap bar deadlift.
Keep BSS and ditch the rest in favour of trap bar deadlift.

Or glute-ham raises.

If your lower back is hurting doing squats, you're doing them wrong. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Squat up to 75kg and bench at 50kg as of last night.

Weight up a bit from 70.5kg to 71.5kg.

Will probably need to start microloading the bench and overhead press very soon, 2.5kg jumps are going to be too much.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Squat up to 75kg and bench at 50kg as of last night.

Weight up a bit from 70.5kg to 71.5kg.

Will probably need to start microloading the bench and overhead press very soon, 2.5kg jumps are going to be too much.
What are you rep ranges?

My preference is to drop the weight, up the reps and volume and increase from there (changing gear, as such).

Soldato
Maybe an odd question, but I'm struggling trying to search for some gym shorts with the... erm... 'backwards pocket'. So, as you sit on a bench, your phone kind drops into it to the side of your thigh. I had some from Gymshark, but they don't sell any anymore. Does anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks!

I wear under armour shorts where my phone drops down side. Got em on amazon.

Soldato
Lifting and Cycling, help! ive just gotten a bike and indoor trainer and really struggling with how i should manage lifting and cycling. I want to maintain as much muscle as possible as well as strength, however i really want to improve my fitness levels, hence getting the bike.

Anyone with any experience in this feel free to feedback.

Soldato
Lifting and Cycling, help! ive just gotten a bike and indoor trainer and really struggling with how i should manage lifting and cycling. I want to maintain as much muscle as possible as well as strength, however i really want to improve my fitness levels, hence getting the bike.

Anyone with any experience in this feel free to feedback.

I guess you have to consider what your cycling goals are? Long distance rides will burn a lot of calories and you risk changing shape a bit if you do a lot of miles.

I suppose in extreme examples you have to compare the body shape of cyclists like Wiggins vs Hoy. One is a very long distance rider, the other a sprinter. HIIT and sprint training should maintain more muscle mass and improve anaerobic fitness.

Soldato
Well im never going to be top tier at either and im happy to improve all around rather than focus on sprinting or distance.

Its also about fitting the sessions in. I currently do weights 4 times per week, but considering dropping down to 3 and then starting cycling 3-4 times per week as well. I do currently walk an hour each day, and covering 5.5-6.5km in that time and i will replace some of those walking sessions with cycling instead to give me some variety.

Its more the recoverability factor of it all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey folks, long term gym-goer mainly just for keeping a relatively 'OK' physique, twice a week, every week, I've seen many people come and go, because they couldn't stick to a routine - I appreciate I should do 3 days as a minimum really, but I know for sure that I can ALWAYS do 2 days - and always have, consistency is key right!!?

Generally it's, Chest/Tri and the other day is Back/Bicep/Leg work.

For the 'chest/tri' day I usually do this;

Flat bench db press 3 x 8 sets of 36kg/sometimes 38kg.
Bodyweight dips 3 x 10
Cable chest flys 3 x 10
Lower cable chest flys 3 x 10
Tricep rope pushdown 3 x 10
Tricep reverse rope pushdown 3 x 10

Yesterday, as I am on the recovering end of a sinus infection, I didn't want to go too hard, so changed the chest/tri day to;

Bench press 75kg 3 x 10
Bodyweight dips 3 x 10
Tricep bar pushdown 3 x 10
Tricep reverse bar pushdown 3 x 10

So not as much intensity as the usual things I do, but it felt good - which has led me to wonder, which is actually the more effective workout, or pick and mix from each to make a better one?

I am about 6ft1, 97kg and realise I 'should' be benching bodyweight at least, but I have basically not done bench presses for years, instead doing flat bench db presses instead.

My aim is really just size instead of chasing the highest weights - but appreciate one may not be possible without the other...

Thank you for any pointers :)

Man of Honour
Hey folks, long term gym-goer mainly just for keeping a relatively 'OK' physique, twice a week, every week, I've seen many people come and go, because they couldn't stick to a routine - I appreciate I should do 3 days as a minimum really, but I know for sure that I can ALWAYS do 2 days - and always have, consistency is key right!!?

Bodyweight dips 3 x 10
Cable chest flys 3 x 10

Yesterday, as I am on the recovering end of a sinus infection, I didn't want to go too hard, so changed the chest/tri day to;

Bench press 75kg 3 x 10
Bodyweight dips 3 x 10

So not as much intensity as the usual things I do, but it felt good - which has led me to wonder, which is actually the more effective workout, or pick and mix from each to make a better one?

I am about 6ft1, 97kg and realise I 'should' be benching bodyweight at least, but I have basically not done bench presses for years, instead doing flat bench db presses instead.

My aim is really just size instead of chasing the highest weights - but appreciate one may not be possible without the other...

There is no overhead pressing work in there, no delta work...

Rep and set ranges are fine provided you gauge your intensity right and the progression from compound to isolation is also good...

Soldato
Not that it was part of a plan but with a shift in training coming up for me (going to start cycling for endurance fitness), I really wanted to see where i had managed to get my deadlift. My previous best was a 190kg deadlift, done during a planned testing week after 12 days rest. Last nights planned workload was 3x3x170kg+ and was my final week of a 12 week program I put together. This was already extended due to getting a rough cold early December at what was supposed to be the start of week 6 that was my final heavy week in the first block, as this was the start of December i decided to ramp back up to align things better over the Christmas and new year period. Then last week i picked up another cold, so took it as a mild deload, however still doing 1 heavy working set on the main lifts and working everything else to an RPE 6-7 instead of 7-9.

Still not feeling 100% this week but with a deadline looming, i pushed squat triples, bench triples, and then last night was deadlifts, i went for it:
10x70
6x110
3x150
1x180 - last week i hit a solid 180 double, this week the 180 single was HORRIBLE
fx200 - nope, didnt move, even sent @LiE a message saying 200 isnt happening
1x200 - took a good 7+ minutes rest, swapped my belt over, had a word with myself and went for it, did it, achievement unlock, 200kg clue joined, super super happy with this.
3x170
3x170

This puts me at a 487.5 total without retesting squat and bench. At a body weight of 74-77kg.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not that it was part of a plan but with a shift in training coming up for me (going to start cycling for endurance fitness), I really wanted to see where i had managed to get my deadlift. My previous best was a 190kg deadlift, done during a planned testing week after 12 days rest. Last nights planned workload was 3x3x170kg+ and was my final week of a 12 week program I put together. This was already extended due to getting a rough cold early December at what was supposed to be the start of week 6 that was my final heavy week in the first block, as this was the start of December i decided to ramp back up to align things better over the Christmas and new year period. Then last week i picked up another cold, so took it as a mild deload, however still doing 1 heavy working set on the main lifts and working everything else to an RPE 6-7 instead of 7-9.

Still not feeling 100% this week but with a deadline looming, i pushed squat triples, bench triples, and then last night was deadlifts, i went for it:
10x70
6x110
3x150
1x180 - last week i hit a solid 180 double, this week the 180 single was HORRIBLE
fx200 - nope, didnt move, even sent @LiE a message saying 200 isnt happening
1x200 - took a good 7+ minutes rest, swapped my belt over, had a word with myself and went for it, did it, achievement unlock, 200kg clue joined, super super happy with this.
3x170
3x170

This puts me at a 487.5 total without retesting squat and bench. At a body weight of 74-77kg.
Epic. Great work!

Just imagine how amazing it would have been done properly rather than sumo. :D

Last edited:
Associate

Bodyweight dips 3 x 10
Cable chest flys 3 x 10

Bench press 75kg 3 x 10
Bodyweight dips 3 x 10

Entirely my opinion, but if you're limited in your frequency to attend the gym I'd go with a more compound heavy approach. A push/pull style approach, if you can do 3 days then even better and do push/pull/legs.

Something along the lines of this, but you can tailor it to what you prefer:

Push Exercises:
  1. Bench Press
  2. Overhead Press
  3. DB Incline Press
  4. Dumbbell Shoulder Press
  5. Dips/Tricep Rope Pulldowns
Pull Exercises:
  1. Lat Pulldowns
  2. Barbell Rows
  3. Seated Cable Rows
  4. Cable Assisted Bicep Curls
  5. Dumbbell Rows
You don't need to adhere to a strict 3 sets of 10 reps range either, train with intensity every set and you'll improve better that way.

Soldato
Honestly put together 2-3 full body workouts and just cycle through them. Focus on hitting each bodypart at least twice a week. Push Pull leaves you no leg work, bro splits leave you only hitting body parts once a week, which is why full body for those with limited time are the best.

Back
Top Bottom