ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ ||| The 2023/2024 Gym Rats Thread ||| ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Soldato
Thank you for your inputs everyone, brilliant work @Syla5 as well !

In terms of a bench press - if I can do 10 x 3 sets of 70kg - is it better to up it and do, say, 3 x 5 of 80/85kg rather than the higher reps @70kg? Size is the aim but obviously strength would be nice alongside it rather than just sticking to lower weights/higher reps ? Or even things like 3 x 3 reps of 90kg ?

Soldato
In terms of a bench press - if I can do 10 x 3 sets of 70kg - is it better to up it and do, say, 3 x 5 of 80/85kg rather than the higher reps @70kg? Size is the aim but obviously strength would be nice alongside it rather than just sticking to lower weights/higher reps ? Or even things like 3 x 3 reps of 90kg ?
It entirely depends what your goals are. Are you wanting to focus on hypertrophy or strength.

If your focus is on hypertrophy then you can increase the intensity by adding a small amount of weight but sticking to the reps, slowing down the movement and not fully locking out at the top so that you have more time under tension, really focus on stretching your pecs at the bottom of the movement are all examples there.

If you are focusing on strength then i would advise cutting down to sets of 5 reps but increasing the weights more regularly, so start off with 3x5@80 then for your next session depending on how that was you either increase by 2.5-5kg. You can also decrease the reps, increase the sets and work at higher weights as well. So in my last training plan i had 2x6 week training blocks where i would start out at 70% for 4x6 and each week i would add 5% and/or reduce the reps per set, something like this:

Week 1: 70% 4x6
Week 2: 75% 4x5
Week 3: 80% 4x5
week 4: 85% 4x4
week 5: 90% 4x3
week 6: 95% 4x3

Another way I progressed was using RPE, i used an RPE range of 7-9, and sets of 3x8/10/12, and once i could do all working sets at RPE 7 i knew that next session i would be upping the weights and progress from there.

Soldato
not sure how i've not looked in here earlier :D
i still find myself a full amateur in power lifing...upper body is weakest for sure...

my current PB in squat and dead is 145kg...have not done a 1RPM for along while now..
but been working with my PT in recent weeks/months and strenght is coming back - after bigger weight and muscle loss.
although have not done my maxes, i'm almost at them with norlmal sets weights..
few weeks agohave done [email protected] backsquat - while doing AMREPs, and 12x 130kg dead.
last week was 5@140kg dead

am not fussed about just breaaking the PB, will break on its own LOL

bench maybe 70kg... last session was [email protected]

Soldato
It entirely depends what your goals are. Are you wanting to focus on hypertrophy or strength.

If your focus is on hypertrophy then you can increase the intensity by adding a small amount of weight but sticking to the reps, slowing down the movement and not fully locking out at the top so that you have more time under tension, really focus on stretching your pecs at the bottom of the movement are all examples there.

If you are focusing on strength then i would advise cutting down to sets of 5 reps but increasing the weights more regularly, so start off with 3x5@80 then for your next session depending on how that was you either increase by 2.5-5kg. You can also decrease the reps, increase the sets and work at higher weights as well. So in my last training plan i had 2x6 week training blocks where i would start out at 70% for 4x6 and each week i would add 5% and/or reduce the reps per set, something like this:

Week 1: 70% 4x6
Week 2: 75% 4x5
Week 3: 80% 4x5
week 4: 85% 4x4
week 5: 90% 4x3
week 6: 95% 4x3

Another way I progressed was using RPE, i used an RPE range of 7-9, and sets of 3x8/10/12, and once i could do all working sets at RPE 7 i knew that next session i would be upping the weights and progress from there.
Superb advice and much appreciated thank you!

Soldato
I'm finally coming to the end of my cut where I stopped taking creatine, so looking to get back on it again. I'm assuming it's all much of a muchness and all that varies is the brand name? Any suggestions appreciated.
the best deal you can find on creatine monohydrate is all you need to be concerned with right now. So try MP, or BBW, or Warrior. All have decent offers on from time to time.

Associate
I'm finally coming to the end of my cut where I stopped taking creatine, so looking to get back on it again. I'm assuming it's all much of a muchness and all that varies is the brand name? Any suggestions appreciated.
Generally it's also advised to front load it to get quickest benefits from it. So 4-5 5g scoops for 5-7 days before you then drop back down to the 1 scoop per day for minimum 28 days.

Soldato
Generally it's also advised to front load it to get quickest benefits from it. So 4-5 5g scoops for 5-7 days before you then drop back down to the 1 scoop per day for minimum 28 days.
Nope this is not the case at all, debunked myth put out there by the suppliers of creatine, just take 1x5g scoop per day and be done with. There is no significant difference, especially so for natural lifters, and there is also no need to ever stop creatine, its beneficial for some many other things then just gym performance.

Soldato
OP
Yup just start taking 5g a day 4eva of monohydrate and be done with it. Loading gets you to max saturation quicker but no evidence that confers any advantage over a slow steady build up, plus a minority experience stomach issues loading so it’s not got anything going for it really.

Soldato
Imagine being able to lift sumo without having longer ROM then most peoples conventional!!
Nice one! How you finding Sumo? I've not long switched to it as it seems a lot easier for me. I managed 180kg DL before fracturing ankle a few weeks ago. Although Im like 20kg heavier than you :D, so that's some impressive lifting!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice one! How you finding Sumo? I've not long switched to it as it seems a lot easier for me. I managed 180kg DL before fracturing ankle a few weeks ago. Although Im like 20kg heavier than you :D, so that's some impressive lifting!
Not a lot of difference in terms of how much I can lift. When I swapped to sumo I couldn’t lift as much as I could conventional, the only benefit I personally get out of it is slightly less hip angle and reduced lower abdominal pressure/pinch point which is my main reason for swapping after my tear.

Last time I did conventional a few months ago I did working sets of 5x150, and that was after only a few sessions back doing convo.

Soldato
Not a lot of difference in terms of how much I can lift. When I swapped to sumo I couldn’t lift as much as I could conventional, the only benefit I personally get out of it is slightly less hip angle and reduced lower abdominal pressure/pinch point which is my main reason for swapping after my tear.

Last time I did conventional a few months ago I did working sets of 5x150, and that was after only a few sessions back doing convo.
Sounds like the same reason I switched over to sumo, after I did my lower spine a few times in the past that put me out 6 months at a time. I didnt just want to give up (plus it wouldnt be me if I wasnt walking around with some kind of injury!), so thought I'd give sumo a try. Took some getting used to, but slowly getting used to it and 180 last week felt pretty comfortable (although shouldnt have done it with a fractured ankle :D ). I still look a good heavy RDL and some DB RDL for assistance.

When you creating a new log? Would be like the old days ha.

Soldato
I already track my workouts in 3 places I think a log would be overkill!! Plus no one reads them any more.

Also I’ve shifted focus to include cycling as cardio now and I’m not going to be going for any higher numbers any time soon. Focus on hypertrophy until I start cutting again.

Soldato
last weekend deadlift session took the life out of me...over 10tones shifted in overall weight

heaviest set was 5x142.5kg followed by 2 sets of 5x132.5
lesson learned was that I need to eat before the sesion...

shifted that weight but was heavy to lift off the ground.

slowly but steady progress

Associate
Nope this is not the case at all, debunked myth put out there by the suppliers of creatine, just take 1x5g scoop per day and be done with. There is no significant difference, especially so for natural lifters, and there is also no need to ever stop creatine, its beneficial for some many other things then just gym performance.
While there is still some debate, I referenced a study titled "Timing of Creatine Supplementation around Exercise: A Real Concern? - PubMed ID: 34445003".

TLDR: "Taking creatine in doses of 5–20 grams per day for more than 5 days can saturate the muscles with creatine and phosphocreatine, which helps in rapidly resynthesizing ATP, the energy currency of cells, during high-intensity, short-duration exercises. This boosts overall work capacity, delays muscle fatigue, and improves performance by providing more energy to the muscles."

Considering the low cost of creatine compared to other supplements, I see no harm in recommending front loading for the initial 7 days to expedite the process. While effects may vary among individuals and circumstances, consuming three extra scoops per day for the first 7 days won't cause any issues; if all it provides is a 1% increase in performance at best, I'll take it!

Last edited:
Soldato
While there is still some debate, I referenced a study titled "Timing of Creatine Supplementation around Exercise: A Real Concern? - PubMed ID: 34445003".

TLDR: "Taking creatine in doses of 5–20 grams per day for more than 5 days can saturate the muscles with creatine and phosphocreatine, which helps in rapidly resynthesizing ATP, the energy currency of cells, during high-intensity, short-duration exercises. This boosts overall work capacity, delays muscle fatigue, and improves performance by providing more energy to the muscles."

Considering the low cost of creatine compared to other supplements, I see no harm in recommending front loading for the initial 7 days to expedite the process. While effects may vary among individuals and circumstances, consuming three extra scoops per day for the first 7 days won't cause any issues; if all it provides is a 1% increase in performance at best, I'll take it!
In the very study you have linked it says 5g is enough...and 5g is the advised amount to take. You dont expideite anything by going over 5g you dont reduce the saturation from 20 days to 5 days for example, or from 5 days to 2-3. Further more the study you linked is sponsored by a creatine producer.

Also as you mention taking extra wont cause any issues, it also wont provide any benefit!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Had my strongest ever bench session on Thursday. Almost at the stage of the year when I peak and the strongest I’ve ever been. Pushing onto 175kg bench next and 260kg squat. Can’t have much in the tank with my age and it’s slow and steady, but still enjoying every second of it. Have had to take a couple of movements out of my program to ensure I can keep the rest going, but it’s all good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom