• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
If the ram isn't the issue, might be worth reinstalling drivers after a proper clean out. It looks like some sort of artificial limit on the tomb raider bench since all 3 measures are at 64fps.

Soldato
Doing a memtest first! Strange thing is I did two runs on hitman absolution, first time flawless and smooth, second started hitching just as it loaded and dropped to 1fps.

Very strange, certainly worth checking RAM with a few passes on memtest. Hopefully Matt will be able to give you some pointers too as he is very knowledgeable and keen to help.

And as Devrij suggested, reinstalling drivers after using DDU may also help.

Caporegime
OP
Any updates for crossfire on dying light yet, getting stick of waiting...

Have you tried it since the latest patch? Game is running much better for me at 4k now.

Yes the game developer has fixed some issues with the game affecting multi gpu setups and it's running well for me now. I've also seen the new drivers in action with an improved Dying Light Crossfire profile and it was working well on QuadFire too at 4k. :)

Soldato
Yes the game developer has fixed some issues with the game affecting multi gpu setups and it's running well for me now. I've also seen the new drivers in action with an improved Dying Light Crossfire profile and it was working well on QuadFire too at 4k. :)

Think if they don't come soon you will have a riot on your hands :D

Two months is a long time. Far too long if you intend to support new releases.

Am still curious as to what my problems were after moving back to the 290's... Am sure I have now reinstalled everything I had on before, but games still running fine. Well, bf4 is. Not really touched much else except elite - no crossfire there.

Associate
Two months is a long time. Far too long if you intend to support new releases.

While I'm as eager as anyone to get newer drivers (not even for particular games), they did say they hoped to release the next version of the VSR implementation in February. So for now I'm not rioting yet :)

Soldato
While I'm as eager as anyone to get newer drivers (not even for particular games), they did say they hoped to release the next version of the VSR implementation in February. So for now I'm not rioting yet :)

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean everything else should wait due to that.

To be clear, am not anywhere near being annoyed with the delay in drivers yet myself, but they really need to find a better way of doing things.

Associate
Fair enough, but that doesn't mean everything else should wait due to that.

To be clear, am not anywhere near being annoyed with the delay in drivers yet myself, but they really need to find a better way of doing things.

I'm not quite at the rioting stage yet, but it's a sad state of affairs for AMD to have no proper crossfire support for the newest games. Waiting months upon end and being given no time scale for a fix is getting increasingly infuriating.

I've spent near to £200 on games in the past few months that run poorly. I understand it's not always just down to AMD (as in the case of Ubistutter games). I'm just really wondering why I should stay with AMD on my next upgrade. I'd love my next buy to be a pair of 390Xs but I have the feeling I'd get shafted trying to play new games.

Crossfire has enough problems as it is, but if this is the way it's going to be I might have to switch to the dark side.

Caporegime
I'm not quite at the rioting stage yet, but it's a sad state of affairs for AMD to have no proper crossfire support for the newest games. Waiting months upon end and being given no time scale for a fix is getting increasingly infuriating.

I've spent near to £200 on games in the past few months that run poorly. I understand it's not always just down to AMD (as in the case of Ubistutter games). I'm just really wondering why I should stay with AMD on my next upgrade. I'd love my next buy to be a pair of 390Xs but I have the feeling I'd get shafted trying to play new games.

Crossfire has enough problems as it is, but if this is the way it's going to be I might have to switch to the dark side.

The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

Associate
The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

Hence the use of "Might switch to the dark side". No point in jumping the gun. I suppose we have a good few months until the 390Xs are released into the wild. I'm just really hoping some one somewhere realises it can't continue like this.

Associate
Update - Did a memtest, all passed perfectly, then tried card 1 on it's own and got great results eg hitman 48, 94, 64 and almost identical results when I tried card 2 on its own in slot 1. Then when I use crossfire with two cards, the performance increase is practically 0, and the Hitman benchmark hitches like crazy and almost stops with lows of 1fps.

I really have no idea what to do :/

Also, with 2 cards, it even makes games hitch in the menu 0___0

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Update - Did a memtest, all passed perfectly, then tried card 1 on it's own and got great results eg hitman 48, 94, 64 and almost identical results when I tried card 2 on its own in slot 1. Then when I use crossfire with two cards, the performance increase is practically 0, and the Hitman benchmark hitches like crazy and almost stops with lows of 1fps.

I would try a fresh driver uninstall/install, then check out this thread here and follow the guide to make sure Crossfire is working correctly. If you still have problems after that, the on screen display will help us to diagnose any issues. Sounds good? :)

EDIT

Can you double check to make sure you're running games in exclusive full screen mode too.

Soldato

What motherboard you using?

Associate
I would try a fresh driver uninstall/install, then check out this thread here and follow the guide to make sure Crossfire is working correctly. If you still have problems after that, the on screen display will help us to diagnose any issues. Sounds good? :)

EDIT

Can you double check to make sure you're running games in exclusive full screen mode too.

That's the thing, it was doing after I removed the old drivers, so I did a complete reformat and this is still happening.

I'll have a look at the crossfire guide!

Back
Top Bottom