• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
I hope 2 months is not going to be the norm for future driver releases. So many new games come in such a wide space of time. To wait 2+ months is not cool to wait for a driver that enables proper crossfire. With this mentallity, AMD wont get many ppl looking for multi gpu setups in the future, and for 4k this is a must. Surely it would make sense to have a dedicated team looking in crossfire profiles for each AAA title, couldn't they just send a CAP to update the driver? like a hotfix?

So Matt, you saying this upcoming driver will not have a Dying Light Crossfire Profile? that's really not cool if that's the case.

Associate
I hope 2 months is not going to be the norm for future driver releases. So many new games come in such a wide space of time. To wait 2+ months is not cool to wait for a driver that enables proper crossfire. With this mentallity, AMD wont get many ppl looking for multi gpu setups in the future, and for 4k this is a must. Surely it would make sense to have a dedicated team looking in crossfire profiles for each AAA title, couldn't they just send a CAP to update the driver? like a hotfix?

So Matt, you saying this upcoming driver will not have a Dying Light Crossfire Profile? that's really not cool if that's the case.

+1

Caporegime
OP

Matt has already said a Dying Light profile IS in this driver.
It was TW: Atilla that doesn't have one just yet, but will in the next driver.

Thanks Alex, that's correct. :)

Associate

Too late for me, Amazon was very professionnal and i got a refund for my r9-290 crossfire (i bought the graphic cards 10 months ago and yes my refund was accepted !)

I will buy a couple of GTX970 :o

I'm sad, i don't really like Nvidia (price, proprietary technology, etc..) but for now i think they have a better support for multi-gpu, and with my 5760x1080 setup i don't have a choice if i want to play no new games day one. I don't want to wait 2 more months to play a new game when the new driver will be here (ex : Total War Attila).

Sorry AMD but you had the chance to prove your skill compared to Nvidia, but you missed it... you lost a customer...

:( :(

Soldato
Too late for me, Amazon was very professionnal and i got a refund for my r9-290 crossfire (i bought the graphic cards 10 months ago and yes my refund was accepted !)

I will buy a couple of GTX970 :o

I'm sad, i don't really like Nvidia (price, proprietary technology, etc..) but for now i think they have a better support for multi-gpu, and with my 5760x1080 setup i don't have a choice if i want to play no new games day one. I don't want to wait 2 more months to play a new game when the new driver will be here (ex : Total War Attila).

Sorry AMD but you had the chance to prove your skill compared to Nvidia, but you missed it... you lost a customer...

:( :(

Would be very interested in what your impressions are after changing over - especially how Surround+SLI works out. Personally, I'm very happy with Eyefinity+Crossfire (I don't buy many games on launch, I tend to wait until they're reduced which often means developers & AMD have patched issues by then) but always interesting to see how green the grass is by someone who's swapped sides.

I would rather have a couple of 290/290Xs than a pair of 970s in light of VRAM-gate.

Agreed, I personally would be looking to swap for 980's at least rather than 970's, as a glance through the thread on the VRAM issues seemed to show most people with issues were running SLI and high resolutions as they were hitting the "slower" VRAM section where less demanding users weren't.

Whatever you decide to do, bennj, I hope it works out well for you and you can get on with enjoying gaming.

Associate
I would rather have a couple of 290/290Xs than a pair of 970s in light of VRAM-gate.

And i want to play my games at launch not 2 months later... VRAM-gate or not i read a lot of reviews and benchmark and i really see a big problem. If you have a link to prove me i'm wrong it would be greatly appreciated :)

Would be very interested in what your impressions are after changing over - especially how Surround+SLI works out. Personally, I'm very happy with Eyefinity+Crossfire (I don't buy many games on launch, I tend to wait until they're reduced which often means developers & AMD have patched issues by then) but always interesting to see how green the grass is by someone who's swapped sides.
I will :) You know i'm not happy to switch team, i like AMD but enough is enough. The only thing i want is to play the games i just bought. That's all...

Agreed, I personally would be looking to swap for 980's at least rather than 970's, as a glance through the thread on the VRAM issues seemed to show most people with issues were running SLI and high resolutions as they were hitting the "slower" VRAM section where less demanding users weren't.
Yep except 980 are not the same price... Here in France i can buy a 970 for 350 € and 980 for 600 €. My wife will kill if i buy a pair of 980 ^^

Whatever you decide to do, bennj, I hope it works out well for you and you can get on with enjoying gaming.

Thank you very much :D

Last edited:
Soldato
And i want to play my games at launch not 2 months later... VRAM-gate or not i read a lot of reviews and benchmark and i really see a big problem. If you have a link to prove me i'm wrong it would be greatly appreciated :)

You've got the wrong guy. I'm not one for trawling the Internet for other people's opinions in an attempt to try and prove someone else's opinion wrong. Complete waste of time.

Ive posted my opinion. You're equally entitled to yours. :)

Caporegime
My GPU just overheated, flickering, lines across the screen... the works, the GPU was boiling, literally. don't know yet if there is any damage.

Whats causing it is somesort of conflict between MSI AB and CCC, i have had it before, its completley random when it happens but when it does it looks the fans to idle speeds.

It's something to do with CCC fan settings, if you set your own fan profile it sets CCC to manual control and it does that at whereever the fan speed happens to be at the time.

If CCC decides to take over and block MSI AB or whatever it is that it is doing it looks the fans to the set speed not mater how hot the GPU gets.

The only way to guarantee it not happening is to unistall CCC, because the thing is if i use MSI AB to overclock that overclock will be reset unless you have CCC overdrive enabled.

Its like CCC is fighting to take over.

Why the ###### does CCC have a setting where you can look the fan speeds no matter how hot the GPU gets anyway? its daft take it out.

Last edited:
Soldato
My GPU just overheated, flickering, lines across the screen... the works, the GPU was boiling, literally. don't know yet if there is any damage.

Whats causing it is somesort of conflict between MSI AB and CCC, i have had it before, its completley random when it happens but when it does it looks the fans to idle speeds.

It's something to do with CCC fan settings, if you set your own fan profile it sets CCC to manual control and it does that at whereever the fan speed happens to be at the time.

If CCC decides to take over and block MSI AB or whatever it is that it is doing it looks the fans to the set speed not mater how hot the GPU gets.

The only way to guarantee it not happening is to unistall CCC, because the thing is if i use MSI AB to overclock that overclock will be reset unless you have CCC overdrive enabled.

Why the ###### does CCC have a setting where you can look the fan speeds no matter how hot the GPU gets anyway? its daft take it out.

Hope it turns out your gpu is fine Humbug :( I'd have to agree about removing a feature like that

Caporegime
Hope it turns out your gpu is fine Humbug :( I'd have to agree about removing a feature like that

Just spent nearly an hour on BF4, it seems to have survived.

What i have done now is ramp up the Manual Fan Control in CCC to 100%, so if it decides to take over again and lock the fans like that at least it the GPU's isn't going to overheat.

Caporegime
OP

Just spent nearly an hour on BF4, it seems to have survived.

What i have done now is ramp up the Manual Fan Control in CCC to 100%, so if it decides to take over again and lock the fans like that at least it the GPU's isn't going to overheat.

Can i see your fan control settings in afterburner?

Soldato

Find it odd that you need to enable Overdrive for Afterburner to work.

And I would expect that enabling two separate control/OC methods would interfere.

Either figure out how to get afterburner working without enabling overdrive, or just use overdrive, would be my advice.

Soldato
Find it odd that you need to enable Overdrive for Afterburner to work.

And I would expect that enabling two separate control/OC methods would interfere.

Either figure out how to get afterburner working without enabling overdrive, or just use overdrive, would be my advice.

I never enable overdrive see no need for it.. Afterburner works fine without it.

Back
Top Bottom