• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

Man of Honour
People are forgetting the leaked specs showed that Sony basically created their own hardware and software to use with the RDNA hardware part to accelerate RT, as DF alluded to this information, their thinking is that RDNA wasn't up to task for the level of RT Sony wanted, so they went and did it themselves whilst also inventing PSSR as a better upscaler.

Whether it has 4080 RT "performance" or not who knows, it won't be 4080 performance at 1:1 resolution since the console will be using DRS still, but DRS when implemented well won't be noticeably different to a fixed render resolution anyway, at least on PC that is, consoles are a bit different.

Caporegime
OP
Interesting if a PS5 Pro has similar RT performance to a 4080 :o

Yeah.

The RX 7700 XT has 56 CU's at 2.2Ghz, 35 TFlops FP32, BVH4 56 RT cores, 330 TOPS AI
The RX 7800 XT has 60 CU's at 2.5Ghz, 38 TFlops FP32, BVH4 60 RT cores, 400 TOPS AI

The PS5 Pro: 60 CU's at 2Ghz, 34 TFlops FP32, BVH8 60 RT cores, 300 TOPS AI.

Its basically an RX 7700 XT but with 2X the RT performance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
People are forgetting the leaked specs showed that Sony basically created their own hardware and software to use with the RDNA hardware part to accelerate RT, as DF alluded to this information, their thinking is that RDNA wasn't up to task for the level of RT Sony wanted, so they went and did it themselves whilst also inventing PSSR as a better upscaler.

Whether it has 4080 RT "performance" or not who knows, it won't be 4080 performance at 1:1 resolution since the console will be using DRS still, but DRS when implemented well won't be noticeably different to a fixed render resolution anyway, at least on PC that is, consoles are a bit different.

I want to find this patent and read it myself, without this idiot babbling and babbling on and on..... making up utter nonsense and not having it on screen for you to read for more than 2 seconds, he says a thousands things without saying anything at all, typical Youtuber looking for clicks but actually knowing nothing at all about the subject.

Of course these idiots never post a link to their source....

"i was sent the direct link" Right? SO WHERE IS THAT ______ LINK?????? you smooth brained ____!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah.

The RX 7700 XT has 56 CU's at 2.2Ghz, 35 TFlops FP32, BVH4 56 RT cores, 330 TOPS AI
The RX 7800 XT has 60 CU's at 2.5Ghz, 38 TFlops FP32, BVH4 60 RT cores, 400 TOPS AI

The PS5 Pro: 60 CU's at 2Ghz, 34 TFlops FP32, BVH8 60 RT cores, 300 TOPS AI.

Its basically an RX 7700 XT but with 2X the RT performance.

I wonder if it'll struggle to get a 2x improvement with RT though, the 700XT is fair bit less powerful than a 4080 and then having faster RT, seems a bit disproportionate

Caporegime
OP
Also... Digital Foundry are just as stupid, none of these Youtubers do any actual research, they all makes crap up that suits their channels agenda, even if they don't believe it themselves, if you watched DF content over the last few years you would think Sony created RDNA 1 and 2 and 3 for AMD, there is a mountain of AMD's patents that tell these feature DF say are Sony have actually been developed by AMD, they design and make the bloody things.

I wonder if it'll struggle to get a 2x improvement with RT though, the 700XT is fair bit less powerful than a 4080 and then having faster RT, seems a bit disproportionate

As i said here....

To put it another way, if the RX 7800 XT was RDNA4, not RDNA 3 it would have the same RT throughput as the RTX 4090.

That's not to say it will have the same performance in Cyperpunk RT as the 4090, rasterization still plays a big part in that game even if it is the most RT replacing rasterization game currently, what it does mean is it has that much more horsepower for RT, so unless the RTX 5000 series gets a similar 2X RT bump in performance Nvidia would find it impossible to choke RDNA 4 by just cranking the RT in Cyberpunk higher and higher and higher, all that would do is choke off Nvidia's own performance more than AMD's the higher they push it.

A 60 CU RDNA 4 with a BVH8 RT engine will not keep up with a 4080 as it still has 2X the rasterization performance, roughly, even a game like Cyberpunk is still primarily Rasterised.
It just mean's it can handle RT that much better, so if with RTX 5000 series being unknown we stick to RTX 4000, RDNA 4 can never fall behind RTX 4000 in RT relative to equal rasterization performance, in fact RDNA 4 would have much more muscle to spare.

My own smooth brain can't really laymen's convert my thinking better than that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What i will say is this, AMD RT functions are not fixed, Both Intel and Nvidia use fixed function dedicated cores, so unless you change the core there isn't a lot that you can do for further development.

AMD could develop a completely new RT engine for their existing cores, such as moving from BVH4 to BVH8.

Caporegime
OP
We'll see, I'm looking to simplify my gaming (or make it more complex I don't know), by having a cheaper PC setup coupled with a console, best of both worlds. If this will be possible, I have no idea. But spending £1000 nearly on a GPU days are gone.

It depends on what one needs, i play at 1440P, Helldivers 2 is the newest game i have and i love it, i play it far too much, to the point where i'm neglecting my testing responsibilities for Star Citizen test builds and the one in testing now is the most important one to date :o
it run's at around 100 FPS at native resolution with all the graphics setting's maxed out, the GPU is overclocked, a £480 GPU, would a £1000 4080 get me higher FPS for my screen? Yes of course it would, if i turn off the FPS counter would i notice it? Would it feel much different?

Probably not.... its excessive. its E-Peen, no tangible benefit. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Probably not.... its excessive. its E-Peen, no tangible benefit. :)
Dude you gotta stop this, it's getting childish and inflammatory now. There's nothing wrong with a bit of performance 'overhead' or higher fps if the screen is capable (each to their own), and as for cards I've had all the higher end ones of late so have the experience of knowing.

Caporegime
OP
Dude you gotta stop this, it's getting childish and inflammatory now. There's nothing wrong with a bit of performance 'overhead' or higher fps if the screen is capable (each to their own), and as for cards I've had all the higher end ones of late so have the experience of knowing.

You're right, but for twice the money? If in 2 years time i buy the latest £500 GPU i probably still come out on top.

Caporegime
You're right, but for twice the money?
O I agree, there's certainly a sweet-spot when it comes to gfx card tiers etc but if people want to spend more for that extra 20/30% of perf and the extra features then let them. I only went over to a 4080 from an XTX (excellent cards tbh) because I was disappointed with how FSR was performing, once AMD get a hardware solution up and running I'll certainly be interested in them once more!

Btw do the XTX cards still do incredibly well in SC? I was reading/watching some stuff after launch that was nearly doubling 4080 perf but it may have just been an optimisation issue.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
O I agree, there's certainly a sweet-spot when it comes to gfx card tiers etc but if people want to spend more for that extra 20/30% of perf and the extra features then let them. I only went over to a 4080 from an XTX (excellent cards tbh) because I was disappointed with how FSR was performing, once AMD get a hardware solution up and running I'll certainly be interested in them once more!

True fact about FSR, i get it, i can see a need for upscaling tech when you're running RT, it definitely helps there and FSR just isn't good enough.

Associate
We'll see, I'm looking to simplify my gaming (or make it more complex I don't know), by having a cheaper PC setup coupled with a console, best of both worlds. If this will be possible, I have no idea. But spending £1000 nearly on a GPU days are gone.
It's what I do. PS5 in living room and PC in the office currently running a 7900GRE, honestly really love both bits of kit and with new news of PS5 Pro that is my next purchase. Even better get yourself a steam deck and then remote play both of them in bed.

Associate
You're right, but for twice the money? If in 2 years time i buy the latest £500 GPU i probably still come out on top.
Agree entirely but you are kidding yourself if you think the current 'acceptable' mid-range price of £500 doesn't get upgraded to £700 in two years time for equivalent performance levels. By then £500 will get you a 9500xt 16GB or a 6050 4GB ;)

Caporegime
OP
Agree entirely but you are kidding yourself if you think the current 'acceptable' mid-range price of £500 doesn't get upgraded to £700 in two years time for equivalent performance levels. By then £500 will get you a 9500xt 16GB or a 6050 4GB ;)

Well $999 last gen is now $500, 7800 XT is a 6900 XT in performance terms, yes it was always halo priced but its still quicker than a 6800 XT which was $650. That's just one gen to the next, as it should be.

The value is still there, mores law is not "dead" If you don't buy Nvidia.

Last edited:
Associate
Well $999 last gen is now $500, 7800 XT is a 6900 XT in performance terms, yes it was always halo priced but its still quicker than a 6800 XT which was $650. That's just one gen to the next, as it should be.

The value is still there, mores law is not "dead" If you don't buy Nvidia.
I’ve managed to push my 7800XT to 22K graphics score on Timespy exceeding a stock reference 7900GRE score of 21600. That is true for the GRE as well it can hit 24k in Timespy with the unlocked overclocking headroom now. But it is £50 more or 10% more than I paid for 10-15% more performance overclock to overclock.

I agree with you it’s diminishing returns above £500. What’s the difference between a 7800xt 65fps on cyberpunk vs 73 (stock GRE fps) after overclocking? Nothing at all on screen.

In 2 generations (4 years) I’d be ready to upgrade again and would love to see what performance £500 gets me again.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve managed to push my 7800XT to 22K graphics score on Timespy exceeding a stock reference 7900GRE score of 21600. That is true for the GRE as well it can hit 24k in Timespy with the unlocked overclocking headroom now. But it is £50 more or 10% more than I paid for 10-15% more performance overclock to overclock.

I agree with you it’s diminishing returns above £500. What’s the difference between a 7800xt 65fps on cyberpunk vs 73 (stock GRE fps) after overclocking? Nothing at all on screen.

In 2 generations (4 years) I’d be ready to upgrade again and would love to see what performance £500 gets me again.

Ah thats pretty decent. Impressed with the new memory speed options for the GRE. I took a peek on mine and it now goes all the way to 3000, however have left mine stock for the time being as its plenty fast enough for what I need at the moment and keeps it nice and quiet.

Caporegime
OP
The 7900 GRE now looks like a very solid GPU for £550.

Don't bother with the ASRock Challenger one, this one even if it is only £510, i had a 5700 XT ASRock Challenger and the cooler was like a cheap cooler from 2010, it could not keep the card properly cooled even with the fans running flatout and this to me looks like it has the same problem, so avoid it.

I don't know about this one for £530, the cooler looks far more substantial.

My advice is again avoid the ASRock Challenger, you will regret saving £40.
Just go for the Sapphire Pulse, i have the Sapphire Pulse RX 7800 XT, it has a smaller dual fan cooler, its cool and its silent, even overclocking to 300 watts its still reasonably cool and quiet, excellent cooler and fans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom