• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

Associate
The 7900 GRE now looks like a very solid GPU for £550.

Don't bother with the ASRock Challenger one, this one even if it is only £510, i had a 5700 XT ASRock Challenger and the cooler was like a cheap cooler from 2010, it could not keep the card properly cooled even with the fans running flatout and this to me looks like it has the same problem, so avoid it.

I don't know about this one for £530, the cooler looks far more substantial.

My advice is again avoid the ASRock Challenger, you will regret saving £40.
Just go for the Sapphire Pulse, i have the Sapphire Pulse RX 7800 XT, it has a smaller dual fan cooler, its cool and its silent, even overclocking to 300 watts its still reasonably cool and quiet, excellent cooler and fans.
I think had this been available 6 months ago I would have bought a GRE. But alas can’t go back in time.

Associate
What looks iffy about that ASrock steel legend do you think?
That's the one I've been eyeing up as the Sapphire's are at the limit length wise for my case, even if I'd like to go for the pulse. Was hoping for more feedback on the steel legend by now, as I've no previous with ASrock and GPUs.

Last edited:
Associate
That's the one I've been eyeing up as the Sapphire's are at the limit length wise for my case even, if I'd like to go for the pulse. Was hoping for more feedback on the steel legend by now, as I've no previous with ASrock and GPUs.

I was asking for the same reasons :)

Reviews on the steel series seem OK online. There's a more asthetic looking white Sapphire Pure just released that looks even better. It's not on OCUK yet though.

Caporegime
OP

GPU ArchitectureRDNA 1RDNA 2RDNA 3 / RDNA 2RDNA 4
Process Node7nm7nm5nm/6nm5nm/3nm?
GPU FamilyNavi 1XNavi 2XNavi 3XNavi 4X
Flagship GPUN/ANavi 21 (5120 SPs)Navi 31 (6144 SPs)Navi 41 (Cancelled?)
High-End GPUNavi 10 (2560 SPs)Navi 22 (2560 SPs)Navi 32 (4096 SPs)Navi 48
Mid-Tier GPUNavi 12 (2560 SPs)Navi 23 (2048 SPs)Navi 33 (2048 SPs)N/A?
Entry-Tier GPUNavi 14 (1536 SPs)Navi 24 (1024 SPs)Navi 34 (1024 SPs)?Navi 44

Erm? no.... Navi 32 (3840 SPs)

Soldato

Is this saying rdna4 has no high end?

It looks like they're saying all rdna4 GPUs are slower than a 7900xtx

What are 7900xt and 7900xtx owners going to do; switch to Nvidia or wait a few more years till AMD makes a high end GPU again?

Last edited:
Associate

What are 7900xt and 7900xtx owners going to do; switch to Nvidia or wait a few more years till AMD makes a high end GPU again?

Tbh most folks at their price points now need to wait several years for a reasonable upgrade anyway, but if they have that itch and want to scratch it, they'll have to switch.

Caporegime
OP

Its been rumoured that RDNA 4 has no high end for at least 6 months, more and more seems to be confirming that.

Also, AMD's history.... R9 390, RX 480, RX 590, RX 5700 XT, and i don't think AMD have been happier and more comfortable than when they weren't chasing Nvidia's high end, they don't have the market share for it, no one likes expensive AMD GPU's, it doesn't matter that they might actually be good no one want's to see high end AMD cards, especially tech jurnoes.

So what's the point?

What people do like is their mid range, so stick to that.

Associate
Its been rumoured that RDNA 4 has no high end for at least 6 months, more and more seems to be confirming that.

Also, AMD's history.... R9 390, RX 480, RX 590, RX 5700 XT, and i don't think AMD have been happier and more comfortable than when they weren't chasing Nvidia's high end, they don't have the market share for it, no one likes expensive AMD GPU's, it doesn't matter that they might actually be good no one want's to see high end AMD cards, especially tech jurnoes.

So what's the point?

What people do like is their mid range, so stick to that.

Nvidia fans are just disapointed there's going to be no AMD handbrake on the price of 5080 and 5090 cards...

;)

AMD are doing exactly the right thing.

Caporegime
OP
Nvidia fans are just disapointed there's going to be no AMD handbrake on the price of 5080 and 5090 cards...

;)

AMD are doing exactly the right thing.

This work of engineering art was the RDNA 4 high end they designed, RNDA 3 was an iterative MCM design leading to this.

They have shelved the IP and scrapped the GPU.

So in response to you :) for AMD to put something like this on the market people actually have to be willing to buy it and pay for it, AMD know people aren't. so it will not exist.

AMD aren't just a protest against Nvidia...

pJytwl1.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I've never seen AMD as a protest against Nvidia.

They make better cards IMO.

:D

Having come off 8 years of Nvidia ownership to an RX 7800 XT i agree, in some ways they do.

I certainly don't find the way tech jurnoes sometimes speak about AMD to be remotely true from an actual users experience, the thing run's beautifully and solidly, it just works, my 8 year Nvidia experience had more inconsequential rough edges around it, it was never anything that really matters, niggles really, but none of that with my AMD GPU at all, its perfectly polished.

Last edited:
Associate
Having come off 8 years of Nvidia ownership to an RX 7800 XT i agree, in some ways they do.

I certainly don't find the way tech jurnoes sometimes speak about AMD to be remotely true from an actual users experience, the thing run's beautifully and solidly, it just works, my 8 year Nvidia experience had more inconsequential rough edges around it, it was never anything that really matters, niggles really, but none of that with my AMD GPU at all, its perfect.

This is the reason I don't watch any of the tech channels any more, the rubbish they spout has never matched my 10 years experience with AMD. I did have a 3060ti for a while but upgraded to a 6700XT, Id have been struggling now with 8GB VRAM.

Cheaper cards for the same performance, they last longer due to VRAM, no driver issues at all, and AMD's software is light years better, NV's looks like it came bundled on a disc with Windows XP magazine.

:D

Caporegime
OP
I'd also like to shout out to Sapphire.

Sapphire RX 7800 XT Pulse.

The GPU its replaced was an MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X, in comparison the cooler is near twice the size and it had a step up larger fans than the Pulse.

Handling the Pulse its obviously not a high end model, that's the Nitro +, no lighting, plastic shroud, but still quality, its not that cheap brittle plastic, i'm not a plastics expert but its obviously a good quality plastic, a metal backplate and, this is rare on any GPU, the back side of the PCB has thermal pads joining it with the under side of that backplate, again you don't even find this on a lot of high end models.

To my _____ amazement this pint size cooler ran this 260 watt GPU cooler and quieter than the very much larger 230 watt MSI 2070S, sub 65c and inaudible, like 18% fan speed. even increasing the fan curve and pushing a 330 watt OC it was still cool and quiet, i don't know how they did that with a cooler that makes the card small enough to fit comfortably in a shoebox case but they have, and its their entry level model.

No doubt about it Sapphire are my go to brand with GPU's, the EVGA of AMD. For sure...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom