**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Soldato
right well iv finnally taken the plunge and ordered the following

AMD Opteron 64 UP 146 (2.0Ghz) S939 1Mb OEM

Asrock 939DUAL-SATA2 S939 PCI-E/AGP USB2 Lan 7.1Ch Audio

Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro - S754/939/940

been trawling through this post and im getting a bit worried by the troubles some of the users are having with this mobo. constent crashing etc. im useless when it comes to overclocking. iv had a XP2500 for years, just set to run at 3200 speeds. i could never get it to run any quicker. :(

so im after a bit of help on what I need to do to get this up and running and overclocked with minium hassle. is it true that I will need to do a totally fresh install of windows, as iv only just done this 2 weeks ago, and my OS is just lovely now.

also reading the posts this seems to be the most logical steps to follow

update bios

clean install of XP

install the AGP drivers from the ULI site, NOT OFF THE CD

install GPU drivers

is this correct? at what stage should I do the overclocking ?

oh and what settings shall I set it too in order to get a good solid overclock, i would be more then happy with 2.6 gig out of my opteron 146. im using this memory

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)

thanks in advance, as mentioned I have tried reading as much of the 48 pages as i can but its just left me more confused then when I started, its even made me wonder if i should cancel my order and stick with my current setup fo ra while longer.

Soldato
if u;re happy with 2.6 leave the bios update til later, one supplied will be ok for 274fsb.

change the htt frequency to 600 (x3), make sure cpu/pci-e/async is set.

set memory divider to 133 to start with as u'll be trying to find the cpu's limit first.

leave memory timings on auto to start with, once you;ve booted use cpu-z and check what timings have been applied to the memory.

may well be able to set the memory back to 166 when you;ve finished the o/c of the processor.

thats about it for starters iirc :).

Associate
Any idea of how I can connect more USB plugs? I have two in my case, which worked perfectly nice along with my abit nf7-s, but when I connect it to this mobo it wont work. When I try to connect something nothing happens :( . Any idea why it wont work? I screewed around in the bios under "usb configuration", but it didn't make me any less clueless...
Cheers for all help :D

Soldato
sablabra said:
Any idea of how I can connect more USB plugs? I have two in my case, which worked perfectly nice along with my abit nf7-s, but when I connect it to this mobo it wont work. When I try to connect something nothing happens :( . Any idea why it wont work? I screewed around in the bios under "usb configuration", but it didn't make me any less clueless...
Cheers for all help :D

Check that the plugs for the case USB is wired correctly. I've used the backplate that came with my Abit IC7 board and that works fne.

Associate
ns400r said:
Check that the plugs for the case USB is wired correctly. I've used the backplate that came with my Abit IC7 board and that works fne.

I changed some wiring and all of a sudden it worked. Odd, I thought I'd already tried it...

Associate
i've noticed a few posts about word and outlook crashing the computer, well i've had the same problem - it just appeared two weeks ago out of the blue.

I disabled word as my outlook editor which seemed to fix the problem but now i just opened word on its own to do a spellcheck and as soon as i pasted the word the system crashed and re-booted!

It may not be motherboard related but have run all virus checks re-loaded Uli agp and graphic drivers (in that order) to no avail and am still getting random crashes.

my system is an opty146 running an AGP 9800 pro - Anyone any ideas?

UPdate

Removing all overclocks has resolved it - but i'm confused because my system was stable @ 2.6 for weeks and now even a small overclock of 2.25 will cause word to crash with outlook.

The blue screen says that the error is related to ati2dvag.dll but have tried different radeon drivers and even a clean install of Windows xp64 didn't solve it.

Perhaps i've got a memory stick or 9800 pipe going bad but with so many others having this problem all within the last month + it usually appears with word loaded makes me think otherwise.

Maybe its one of the recent windows office updates that has upset the ati timings?

UPdate 2

I'm getting warmer - back up to 2.6 stable by doing this....

Right click-mouse over My Computer
Properties
Hardware(Tab)
Device Manager(button)
Click [+] next to System devices
right-mouse on Uli 3.0 AGP Controller
Update Driver(button)

Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Next(button)
Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.
Next(button)
Select PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Next(button)
Finish(button)
Reboot.

Looks like the Uli Agp driver has a lot to answer for - ill try another version for hopefully a permanent fix.

Last edited:
Soldato
has gaming perfrmance been affected by that change ?

Are you running 1T or 2T ?
That commionly occurs with 1T, although not for me.
But since memtest test 8 reboots the machine with 1T, I run 2T to be safe

Associate
Tuvoc said:
has gaming perfrmance been affected by that change ?

Are you running 1T or 2T ?
That commionly occurs with 1T, although not for me.
But since memtest test 8 reboots the machine with 1T, I run 2T to be safe

Yes, many games need the Uli Agp driver to work properly but so far i haven't found one that is stable with word! (still working on it) but my solution above is.
i'm running 2T as 1T is not stable on many A64 platforms, its a bit of a lottery if it works with your memory. It defo wont work with more than 2 mem sticks.

Associate
Been reading through this thread since it started and bought my board a couple of months ago. Have finally got round to getting my CPU ordered today - 3700+ What sort of overclocks can i expect with this combo?

I have been reading and know all about the timings and dividers etc, but without volt mod, what should i expect to get out of this?

And what is the general consensus for bios usage, is it still the OCW2 beta bios?

Soldato
Soul Rider said:
Been reading through this thread since it started and bought my board a couple of months ago. Have finally got round to getting my CPU ordered today - 3700+ What sort of overclocks can i expect with this combo?

I have been reading and know all about the timings and dividers etc, but without volt mod, what should i expect to get out of this?

And what is the general consensus for bios usage, is it still the OCW2 beta bios?

Not sure what the SD can do on "moderate" volts.

There is a thread on the SD3700 in the CPU forum that should give you an idea though. I would certainly expect 2.7+ quite easily on current SD3700's.

I use OCW Beta 2 and it is totally stable for me. :)

Associate
Xeon said:
i've noticed a few posts about word and outlook crashing the computer, well i've had the same problem - it just appeared two weeks ago out of the blue.

I disabled word as my outlook editor which seemed to fix the problem but now i just opened word on its own to do a spellcheck and as soon as i pasted the word the system crashed and re-booted!

It may not be motherboard related but have run all virus checks re-loaded Uli agp and graphic drivers (in that order) to no avail and am still getting random crashes.

my system is an opty146 running an AGP 9800 pro - Anyone any ideas?

As Tuvoc posted, this is a problem for some when you're running at 1T. Have you tried this(it's cured some peoples 1T stability issues), go in to your BIOS and on the CPU configuration page scroll to the bottom and change the Advanced DRAM Config setting to manual. For Read Preamble set it at 6.0ns and Asyc Latency 8.0ns. You could also try setting them to 5.0ns and 7.0ns respectively, as some people have had better results with these values.

HTH, dagwoood.

Associate
i did answer Tuvoc's post - I'm running 2T so its not an issue related to 1T although i think your comments may well help others who want to run at 1T stable.

Associate
Xeon said:
i did answer Tuvoc's post - I'm running 2T so its not an issue related to 1T although i think your comments may well help others who want to run at 1T stable.

Xeon, I did understand that you're running 2T but what I suggested might solve your problem.

I'm running 2T and I had a intermitent problem with Flash sites crashing Firefox(bad memory leak). As Flash sites can cause problems when running at 1T, I wandered whether what cures their problem would cure mine. I've set my DRAM config manually and I haven't had any crashes.

HTH, dagwoood.

Soldato
What puzzles me is this - in Windows I can work with 1T perfectly. No issues with the "print-screen, open MSPaint, edit-paste" scenario, flash sites etc etc. But memtest #8 immediately re-boots the machine with 1T setting, is fine at 2T. So does memtest have a bug ? Or does it indicate a genuine 1T instability ?

I've benchmarked my machine with the internal benchmarks of the chess programs that I run, and 1T and 2T are the same. So they obviously don't benefit from 1T lower latency and the extra 1T bandwidth. So I run at 2T and am perfectly happy at that. But the memtest thing is intriguing and one of thsoe things that bugs you until you find an explanation. However I haven't tried the Read Preamble and Asyc Latency settings so will do that and see what happens. DAGWOOD - what happens with your machine on memtest #8 ?

I have the ULI AGP driver installed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom