**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
Tuvoc said:
What puzzles me is this - in Windows I can work with 1T perfectly. No issues with the "print-screen, open MSPaint, edit-paste" scenario, flash sites etc etc. But memtest #8 immediately re-boots the machine with 1T setting, is fine at 2T. So does memtest have a bug ? Or does it indicate a genuine 1T instability ?

DAGWOOD - what happens with your machine on memtest #8 ?

Test #8 crashes! If I enable fast writes and turn off Bank Interleave it takes longer to crash, or keeps racking up the number of errors it finds. If I loosen my memory timings to absurd values I can get the test to run without any errors, but because the timings are so loose, it defeats the point of enabling 1T.

It had occurred to me as well whether it's a bug in memtest. I don't get crashes when opening paint, it's Prime stable for over 10 hours, no errors running OCCT, Aquamark, 3DMark05 or S & M. It's just test #8 in memtest that throws up errors.

Associate
dagwoood said:
For Read Preamble set it at 6.0ns and Asyc Latency 8.0ns. You could also try setting them to 5.0ns and 7.0ns respectively, as some people have had better results with these values.

HTH, dagwoood.
Thanks for the suggestion - i have tried the settings with no luck i'm afraid - i can open outlook and then click on new mail which opens word. The moment i try and type a few letters i get the crash.

it only happens with clocked htt but it used to work ok at 2.6 and now doesn't unless i update the Uli Agp driver to a pci-pci bridge.
Some how its timing related but i dont have enough bios options to know exactly where - i suspect Asorck are aware of the Agp issues as they have just released bios 1.6 with more agp options in it.
My best guess is that its still an Uli Agp chip driver fault.

Associate
I've had similar problems with this board, nothing but trouble since the last windows update blue screens for fun. it used to run at 274htt but i had to underclock the ram because this carp board only gives it 2.7v and the ballistix likes 2.8v stock.

anyway I've took the plunge I'm now the proud owner of asus sli mobo and an xfx 7800gt. no more asrock for me I've only had the board for a few months definatley not for me, looks like I'll be selling it for 20 quid then :eek:

Associate
its not a crap board for its price - but sure if i wanted to spend the cash i would do the same - probably my next upgrde will be a Pci-e graphics card which should solve the problem - in the meantime im using incredimail which works just fine.
my next mobo change wont be for a few months yet as i dont see the point of spending a lot when AMD M2/ddr2 mobos are soon to be released.

Soldato
It is a budget board for sure, with limitations, and some people have problems. But I've been lucky and I'm perfectly happy with mine running at 2T. My Corsair Value RAM is also very happy at 2.7v so the board is doing the job I want it to do, and has provided a slot for my existing AGP card with room for PCI-E later in the year. I've been bitten by an Asrock board before, but so far this one is delivering the goods.

Associate
I don't have any problem running my memory at 212mhz 2.5-3-2-10 and 1T from first day with HTT at 800 and 255FSB (I tried 220 but get erros in memtest as my memory is rated for 2.8v). I also have a SATA2 working fine but it was a bit difficult to set it up

Its true the only 2.7v is limiting my ram which used to work at 230 2.5-2-2-10 with 2.8v, but I can't blame asrock as I knew this before I bought it. I also agree the AGP port is underperfoming a little bit but I went to PCIE and performs superb (yes I know was stupid; I bought this mobo cos of the AGP port and 2 weeks later I buy a PCIE).

I am sure the only problem of the mobo is ASUS limiting its performance to avoid loosing sales. This mobo without the 274 limit and with 2.8v on memory would be one of the best in the market.

DFI are fantastic but a bit difficult to find the best set up, just like the ASRock ;)

Last edited:
Associate
dagwoood said:
Test #8 crashes! If I enable fast writes and turn off Bank Interleave it takes longer to crash, or keeps racking up the number of errors it finds. If I loosen my memory timings to absurd values I can get the test to run without any errors, but because the timings are so loose, it defeats the point of enabling 1T.

It had occurred to me as well whether it's a bug in memtest. I don't get crashes when opening paint, it's Prime stable for over 10 hours, no errors running OCCT, Aquamark, 3DMark05 or S & M. It's just test #8 in memtest that throws up errors.

Hi mate,

how can you spent a fortune in memory and only £50 in the mobo? It doesn't make any sense as a top mobo is much better than a top memory, specially if overclocking with A64.

On top of that as you probably know most of the corsairs needs high volts to achieve high speed and tigh timmings.

have you tried a higher memory divider to run your ram about 200 and 1T?

You really need to buy an OZC booster if you want to achieve the potencial of your memory ;)

Due to the only 2.7v memory this mobo works better with not high perfoming memory like Corsair value, normal Geil etc. and forget about BH5, BH6, CH6 (or even my own memory which likes high volts to achieve over 250Mhz) unless you do the vdim mod or run at only 200MHZ

Last edited:
Associate
UOcUK Poopscoop said:
Hmmm....

Will have to try those manual memory settings.

Running 1T I get crashes on sites that use Flash animations such as Streetmap.co.uk.

How odd is that? :)

Interestingly, or not, I work on a helpdesk, and the past few days i've had about 3 calls where people have had crashes and problems when accessing streetmap.co.uk.

We actually managed to get an error log on one, and in said something to the effect of - Explorer add-on flash.ocx version 7.0 has encountered an error. This is an issue with either flash, or explorer, do not neccesarily blame this on your 1t settings, as these machines are dell 1.8 systems on old 32bit PC's so the fault may not neccesarily be your RAM timings.

Associate
luismenendez said:
Hi mate,

how can you spent a fortune in memory and only £50 in the mobo? It doesn't make any sense as a top mobo is much better than a top memory, specially if overclocking with A64.

On top of that as you probably know most of the corsairs needs high volts to achieve high speed and tigh timmings.

have you tried a higher memory divider to run your ram about 200 and 1T?

You really need to buy an OZC booster if you want to achieve the potencial of your memory ;)

Due to the only 2.7v memory this mobo works better with not high perfoming memory like Corsair value, normal Geil etc. and forget about BH5, BH6, CH6 (or even my own memory which likes high volts to achieve over 250Mhz) unless you do the vdim mod or run at only 200MHZ

Hi luismenendez. I didn't see the need to spend a lot on a new motherboard as this board had what I wanted; an AGP slot and a PCI-E slot. I've only had my graphics card a couple of months so I didn't want to go to the expense of buying an AGP board now and then buy another board when I change my graphics card.

The memory didn't cost me too much, it was on special offer a couple of weeks ago, so it only cost just over 130 quid delivered :) . I know Corsair RAM likes higher voltage to run tighter timings, but I don't think the problem lies with my memory when it comes to running at 1T.

If I run it on lower divider so my memory runs at 176MHz, it still wont run at 1T without crashing in test #8 in memtest, which leads me to believe the problem lies with this board or the CPU memory controller and not necessarily my memory. To be honest, it's better to run my memory at 224MHz 2T than 50MHz slower at 1T .

As to value RAM being better, I had Crucial value RAM in my system prior to getting the Corsair and it would run at 224MHz but with timings of 3-4-4-8. At least with the Corsair I can run it at 2.5-3-3-8 and if it's a motherboard issue I'm hoping some sort of solution will be forthcoming in the future.

dagwoood.

Associate
you really got a bargain with the corsair.

I don't understand why you can not run 1T as I don't have any problem with that setting and similar cpu (but I have 2x512Mb which I am sure is easier for the mobo/cpu). could you run 1T with you crucial memory?

If I was you I would buy an OCZ booster to get the most of the memory as I still thinking your memory needs a bit more volts ;)

I wonder if there are more people running 2x1GB sticks at 1T ?????

Maybe you can try upping the cpu volts to help the memory controller....or try to force 1T using A64Tweaker

by the way I use Mozilla Firefox and not problems with flash animations, but sometimes some websites are very slow charging (maybe because they have flash animations???)

Last edited:
Soldato
luismenendez said:

I have a 2GB Corsair Value RAM kit, and everything in windows runs perfectly with 1T. But memtest #8 fails, so I run 2T to be safe

Permabanned
im struggling to get past about 280fsb, 290 and it fails in p95, no matter how much vcore i use or what divder. am i using the best bios settings? i left dram idle timer on default and memory auto cfg on default, it had two ns numbers i could change but didnt know the best numbers to use.
ps im using 2x256 and 1x512bh5, which seems to be doing 233 2-2-2-5 after i did the 3.1 vmod.

and this damn ocwb2 bios is a pain, with 3dimms in use it sometimes wont let me change bios settings and i have to take out 2 dimms and then set the speed i want, adding the other ram later. when it does go funny it shows as having 16mb ram installed??

Associate
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 FAQ
I just want to point out something regarding BIOS settings before you start reading further. DO NOT believe anything that sets to AUTO, this applies to all BIOS versions. ASRock BIOSs are very conservative, try manually tweak memory/CPU/HDD settings. AUTO settings = worst possible settings you can have.

What kind of processors are supported?
As far as I know, all 939-pin processors.
Official CPU Support List

NOTE: though you cannot find Opteron on the list, it is indeed supported.

Where can I get BIOS manual?
Official BIOS Manual

I cannot boot into Windows, system locks up/hard reboot when Windows loading screen shows up, %$#@^!
If you are porting your old windows on this board (i.e. using an HDD which already has a windows copy on it), it is likely you’ll have this problem. The best way to fix this is to backup all your data and do a fresh OS install.

NOTE: try F8 trick to enter safemode and backup your data.

What are the correct steps to setup AGP driver (aka ULi AGP v3.0 Controller Driver) on a clean windows installation?
- install ULi Integrated driver 2.13
- during installaion, make sure both AGP driver and LAN driver are checked.
- unchecked USB 2.0 driver if you are using Windows XP SP1 and above.
- REMEMBER to REBOOT when prompted.
- upon reboot, check if the AGP driver is installed correctly.

** Here is how you check, if the AGP driver installed correctly, you should see "ULi AGP v3.0 Controller" under "System Devices" in Device Manager, it's usually the last entry under "System Devices". If you dont see that in Device Manager, goto Add/Remove Programs to uninstall all ULi related drivers, and try to repeat the above steps to get a correct result. (Sometimes do another clean windows installation may help, I know it's painful ).

- ONLY install your graphics driver if prior AGP driver are setup correctly.
- REBOOT again when prompted.
- done!

This is likely to eliminate AGP card related problems if you follow the steps precisely. Feekbacks are welcome.

I am getting black screens in games and/or I can't reinstall AGP driver due to the installer detecting the OS as XP 64.
If you have those problems, try uninstall your graphics driver and the AGP driver. Reboot, then reintall the AGP driver manually (use winzip to unpack the integrated driver then use device manager to update the AGP driver on "PCI to PCI bridge"). Reboot again, then install your graphics driver.

After you have done all that, use "regedit.exe" to delete the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uliagpkx\Parameters]

** only delete the "Parameters" key (and anything under it).

After the key is deleted, reboot again.

More details and credits go to this thread. (I suggest you to take a look).
Please report in FAQ or in the thread above if this works, thank you.

I am using an AGP card, and I am getting low framerates in ______ benchmark/game.
If you have not installed the AGP driver, you have to do so. It’s recommended to use ULi’s integrated driver v2.13. The AGP driver is REQUIRED if you are using a AGP video card. **You can also try the following steps to fix a suspected broken AGP driver.

Do as follow (the sequence of the steps is important):
- uninstall all existing video card drivers
- reboot
- install ULi integrated driver (DO NOT select USB driver if you are using Windows XP)
- reboot
- install your video card driver

ULi Integrated driver 2.13

NOTE: Some people are having troubles with the AGP driver came with ASRock CD, so it’s recommended to use the ULi integrated driver. If you don’t have any issues with ASRock AGP driver, don’t make any changes.

Can I use AGP and PCIe cards together?
Yes. Since the AGP card needs the agp driver, you'll need to install the AGP first.

- Insert the AGP card ONLY, FOLLOW THE STEPS ABOVE
- Power down.
- Insert the PCIe card, and boot
- Install the PCIe card's driver
- reboot, go into BIOS
- Under "Advanced" menu >> goto "Chipset Configuration", and set "Primary Graphics Adaptor" to PCIe

Dual video card thread

Can AGP clock be locked?
Yes, you can overclock HTT and have AGP/PCI clock locked at the same time.

Go into BIOS
under "Advanced" menu >> "CPU Configuration"
set "Overclock Mode" to "CPU, PCIE, Async". Have the "PCIE Frequency" set to 100, then AGP and PCI are locked at 66/33.

I believe AGP/PCI clocks work on dividers.
AGP CLK = PCIe CLK * 2/3
PCI CLK = PCIe CLK * 1/3

What is the max VCORE I can set in BIOS?
The highest vcore you can set is usually your processor's default vcore + 0.5v.

What is the default VDIMM on this board?
The default VDIMM is 2.5v, when you set DRAM voltage to “normal” in BIOS.

What is the max VDIMM on this board?
The max VDIMM is 2.7v, when you set DRAM voltage to “high” in BIOS.

Is there a way to get more VCORE or VDIMM?
Yes, you can do vcore mod or vdimm mod.
After vcore mod – 1.55v
After vdimm mod – 3.04v

vcore mod
vdimm mod

Here is a list of BIOS versions that work with vcore mod:
- v1.20
- v1.50
- v1.60
- OCWBeta1/2/4/5.

Does OCZ DDR Booster work on this board?
Yes, DDR Booster works with 939Dual-SATA2. DDR Booster takes up 2 slots space, you will have to insert the DDR Booster into slot#2 and have your memory modules in slot#3 and slot#4.

Note: Inserting DDR Booster in slot#4 is highly not recommended because there is not enough space between the sockets and the components on the DDR Booster will have contact (highly hazardous) with the memory module in slot#2.

What is the highest VDIMM can I get using OCZ DDR Booster?
I’ve gone as high as 3.5v personally.

Where do I set the HTT multiplier?
Goto “Advanced” menu >> “Chipset Configuration”
You’ll find CPU-NB Link Speed, set
1000MHz = 5X
800MHz = 4X
600MHz = 3X
400MHz = 2X
200MHz = 1X

What is NB-SB Link Speed?

pic taken from techpowerup.com

By looking at this diagram, you'll see all peripheral devices are controlled by the south bridge. NB-SB link refer to the bus between north and south bridges. If you have NB-SB Link overclocked too much, it'll result freezes/instability when you are using certain peripheral devices. NB-SB link should be set so that your HTT x Multiplier does not exceed 1000MHz. (1000MHz = 5X multiplier, 800MHz = 4X multiplier, and so on......)

From my own experience, setting NB-SB link@1000MHz and running highly OC'ed HTT result in random hard reboot when I try to transfer files from my ipod or digital camera via USB. By lowering NB-SB Link to 800MHz(4X) or 600MHz(3X), the problem is solved. This makes more sense when you look at the diagram.

Here is a discussion on this, if you are interested.
NB-SB Link Speed discussion

What should I set for CPU-NB/NB-SB Link Width?
Just set 16-bit to both of them.

What memory dividers are available?
Memory dividers can be set in BIOS.
In BIOS, goto "Advanced" -> "CPU Configuration"
set "Memory Clock" to

In this particular case of a CPU with mutiplier 10, i.e. 3200+
The available memory dividers are as followed:
200MHz = 10
166MHz = 12
133MHz = 15

You can utilize 3 more dividers using a tool called A64Tweaker.
In A64Tweaker, look for the drop down box named "MEMCLK Frequency", set it to
183MHz = 11
150MHz = 14
100MHz = 20

A64Tweaker - version 0.31 is recommended.

The formula for calculating memory speed:
MEM Speed = CPU Speed / divider

For example, if I OC my 3200+ to 2400MHz with memory clock set to 166MHz in BIOS. To find my memory speed using the formula "MEM Speed = CPU Speed / divider", my MEM speed is 2400 / 12 = 200MHz.

Here is the table for complete list of memory dividers. To use it,
1st. find the CPU multiplier you are using.
2nd. find the corresponding memory settings in BIOS/A64Tweaker, then you'll have the memory divider.

Is 1T Command Rate functional?
1T Command Rate is supported and functional. A lot of people complaint about 1T Command Rate causing system instabilities. The instability cases are most likely related to the later batches of Venice E6 cores. It seems the memory controller on the newer revision Venice E6 cannot handle 1T Command Rate quite as well.

NOTE: Some people with X2 processors claim 1T/2T setting is not available in BIOS v1.20. (need help to confirm this)

System will not post if I set HTT higher than 274MHz, why?
BIOS v1.20 AND NEWER have a “block” on HTT, max working HTT you can get is 274MHz. If you want to get around that problem, use BIOS OCWBeta1. We have seen OCWBeta1 BIOS go as high as 400 HTT.

BIOS with HTT capped @ 274
- v1.20
- v1.30
- v1.40
- OCWBeta3 <- It's based on BIOS v1.40, so YES, it has the cap.
- v1.50
- OCWBeta4 <- It's based on BIOS v1.50, so YES, it has the cap.
- v1.60
- OCWBeta5 <- It's based on BIOS v1.60, so YES, it has the cap.

BIOS without HTT cap
- OCWBeta1 <- cpu speed on POST screen is wrong, you have to check cpu speed in windows.
- OCWBeta2 ? <- I have not tried this myself, can someone confirm it?

400 HTT thread
300 HTT using BIOS v1.50 thread

NOTE: use them at your own risk, THEY ARE BETA!

This Faq was originally posted by CrazyRhino on the OCW Forum

Associate
luismenendez said:
you really got a bargain with the corsair.

I don't understand why you can not run 1T as I don't have any problem with that setting and similar cpu (but I have 2x512Mb which I am sure is easier for the mobo/cpu). could you run 1T with you crucial memory?

If I was you I would buy an OCZ booster to get the most of the memory as I still thinking your memory needs a bit more volts ;)

Maybe you can try upping the cpu volts to help the memory controller....or try to force 1T using A64Tweaker

by the way I use Mozilla Firefox and not problems with flash animations, but sometimes some websites are very slow charging (maybe because they have flash animations???)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, I've been laid up in bed with a cold :(

The Crucial memory, which was 2 x 512MB sticks of Value RAM, wouldn't pass memtest test #8 either, even though all the tests I ran within windows didn't produce any errors.

As per Tuvoc's and ns400r's post, running 2GB of RAM at 1T can cause problems with this board. As ns400r's memory can run at lower timings than my Corsair, I don't think it's necessarily a timings issue either.

I'd toyed with the idea of buying the OCZ booster, but I could be throwing good money after bad in that it still might not allow me to run at 1T and I'd've wasted 30 quid.

I've also tried upping the Vcore to 1.45v, but that didn't help either.

ns400r said:
My 2x1Gb Ballistix only run at 2T in dual channel. They will run fine at 1T in single channel though. That is at 274Mhz.

Do you know if it benches any better running with your memory in single channel at 1T as opposed to dual 2T?

Back
Top Bottom