The ASRock thread [support/feedback/etc]

Associate
OP
Which of your boards come with native USB C? I'm guessing that's the Thunderbolt models?

You don't make it easy to filter down to see which ATX models support Thunderbolt

Of the Z270 ATX boards, only the Supercarrier has Thunderbolt 3 with two type-C connectors. The rest are USB 3.0 or 3.1. Full list below:

USB 3.1 type-C boards (ATX):
Z270 Gaming i7
Z270 Taichi
Z270 Gaming K6
Z270 Extreme4

All other ATX boards (B250/H270 included) are USB 3.0 (but still have type-C connectors)

USB 3.1 type-C boards (mATX):
Z270M Extreme4

All other mATX boards except B250M-HDV are USB 3.0 with type-C.

The Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac also comes with one Thunderbolt 3 port with a type-C connector.

Associate
Hello,
I have a couple of questions,

Will the AMD get the OC Formula treatment?
Will the Z270 get the OC Formula treatment?

I'm a fan. :D

14566323_10205599432663484_2481753048772820674_o.jpg

Soldato
Of the Z270 ATX boards, only the Supercarrier has Thunderbolt 3 with two type-C connectors. The rest are USB 3.0 or 3.1. Full list below:

USB 3.1 type-C boards (ATX):
Z270 Gaming i7
Z270 Taichi
Z270 Gaming K6
Z270 Extreme4

All other ATX boards (B250/H270 included) are USB 3.0 (but still have type-C connectors)

USB 3.1 type-C boards (mATX):
Z270M Extreme4

All other mATX boards except B250M-HDV are USB 3.0 with type-C.

The Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac also comes with one Thunderbolt 3 port with a type-C connector.

That's a shame, I wish you guys had proper USB C on a cheaper board, looks like the Gigabyte Gamer 7 is my best bet then.

Soldato
@AsrockMB

I would recommend you update the manual and also the website for the E3C224 series to indicate you have removed the Sleep/Hibernate states from the latest bios. I'm fairly astute when it comes to hardware and fell victim to reading an out of date manual (even though it is the latest copy on your website) before purchasing.

My only options are to either live with it or downgrade and lose an upgrade path! Both are not really satisfactory answers but there is very little I can do now.

Before someone else makes the same mistake as me, make it clear that sleep and hibernate are not supported on the latest bios. Had I known this in advance, I would have considered things differently.

Thanks,

Chris

Associate
As others have said, Asrock's board was the most rock solid and stable board I ever had on my old setup ( 2500K )prior to this Gigabyte X99 that needs to die in a fire ( was part of a bundle, won't happen again ) :D

Won't be until next year, if then I need to upgrade, but if this board keeps flaking out ( its the 3rd one now ) than I'll have to replace it with an Asrock just for peace of mind.

Soldato
I'm interested in one of your boards for an HTPC, but I have a question.

HDMI 1.4 supports 24hz, 25hz and 30hz at 3840x2160. As well as 24hz at the full 4096x2160 resolution. Motherboards with 1.4 state they're capable of the latter, but that's it. Can a motherboard that lists 24hz at full 4k do 25hz or 30hz at the lower resolution of 3840x2160?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@AsrockMB

I would recommend you update the manual and also the website for the E3C224 series to indicate you have removed the Sleep/Hibernate states from the latest bios. I'm fairly astute when it comes to hardware and fell victim to reading an out of date manual (even though it is the latest copy on your website) before purchasing.

My only options are to either live with it or downgrade and lose an upgrade path! Both are not really satisfactory answers but there is very little I can do now.

Before someone else makes the same mistake as me, make it clear that sleep and hibernate are not supported on the latest bios. Had I known this in advance, I would have considered things differently.

Thanks,

Chris
We understand your frustration, but at the same time the manual and website states that specifications and features are subject to updates and/or change at any time. The board works with the features promised in the original configuration with CPUs that were available at the time of launch, i.e. Haswell. If Intel makes a change in a future product that the board wasn't originally designed for, the options are to either leave the broken feature in and pretend it works, or remove it altogether - we've opted for the latter, as we simply can't guarantee functionality with Haswell Refresh or later.

We've forwarded your feedback however, and once more apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I'm interested in one of your boards for an HTPC, but I have a question.

HDMI 1.4 supports 24hz, 25hz and 30hz at 3840x2160. As well as 24hz at the full 4096x2160 resolution. Motherboards with 1.4 state they're capable of the latter, but that's it. Can a motherboard that lists 24hz at full 4k do 25hz or 30hz at the lower resolution of 3840x2160?

In a word - yes. 4096x2160 (full 4K as you mention) is a movie theater thing, and HDMI 1.4 supports 3840x2160 (consumer "4K") at 24/25/30Hz.

Associate
Hello there fellow AsRock users!

I posted this elsewhere on this forum, but I'll post again now there is a more dedicated thread....

I have an ASrock X99 Extreme6 partnered with an i7 5820 at stock and 32GB RAM.
Been performing pretty well since I built it last year.
I'm just wondering if I should try updating the BIOS.
I know it's often said not to risk it unless there's a specific issue which the update could resolve - and that is not the case with me (as far as I'm aware).
But I'm on 1.90 and I'm wondering if I update to the latest - 3.20 - I might notice some improvements in performance?
Anyone else using this board done the update?
Let me know if you reckon it's worth the risk!

The main area I'm wondering about is performance related to audio production. I use my pc as a DAW, and my music template has many many VST instruments. Performance is okish but I do get pops and clicks occasionally, even with higher sample rates, and in Cubase the VST performance meter is pretty jumpy and erratic and leaps into the red sporadically.
Latency mon also shows the odd spike.
This ofcourse could be down to many things, but a common suggestion is to update BIOS.
So might this update help me?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hello there fellow AsRock users!

I posted this elsewhere on this forum, but I'll post again now there is a more dedicated thread....

I have an ASrock X99 Extreme6 partnered with an i7 5820 at stock and 32GB RAM.
Been performing pretty well since I built it last year.
I'm just wondering if I should try updating the BIOS.
I know it's often said not to risk it unless there's a specific issue which the update could resolve - and that is not the case with me (as far as I'm aware).
But I'm on 1.90 and I'm wondering if I update to the latest - 3.20 - I might notice some improvements in performance?
Anyone else using this board done the update?
Let me know if you reckon it's worth the risk!

The main area I'm wondering about is performance related to audio production. I use my pc as a DAW, and my music template has many many VST instruments. Performance is okish but I do get pops and clicks occasionally, even with higher sample rates, and in Cubase the VST performance meter is pretty jumpy and erratic and leaps into the red sporadically.
Latency mon also shows the odd spike.
This ofcourse could be down to many things, but a common suggestion is to update BIOS.
So might this update help me?

Thanks

BIOS updates very rarely go wrong nowadays, and there's been lots of updates from a v1.xx BIOS to 3.xx for sure. Even though the problem might not be related to the BIOS, you're extremely unlikely to make anything worse. :)

Associate
BIOS updates very rarely go wrong nowadays, and there's been lots of updates from a v1.xx BIOS to 3.xx for sure. Even though the problem might not be related to the BIOS, you're extremely unlikely to make anything worse. :)

Thanks!
Can you tell me what those updates are?
On the Asrock update page it just says 'Update USB module'.

Associate
Thanks Asrock, but could you at least tell me roughly what 'Update USB module' means? This is the major fix listed for 3.20 on the Asrock website.
Forgive me if I'm being stupid!

Associate
OP
Thanks Asrock, but could you at least tell me roughly what 'Update USB module' means? This is the major fix listed for 3.20 on the Asrock website.
Forgive me if I'm being stupid!

They're firmware updates for the USB controller(s). These generally include bug fixes for certain (very rare) issues as well as stability/performance related optimizations.

Associate
Thanks very much AsrockMB!

I reckon I might take the plunge!

Finally, what would you say is the most safe/reliable way to do the update - from within BIOS or via pressing F6 during POST? (Or any of the other methods.)

Thanks

Associate
Great! - thanks for your help!#

On a completely different subject...
I have a number of USB devices connected to my PC - for example my audio interface.
Now, when plugged in, the power light on the audio interface is on whether the PC is on or not. The PC's in my bedroom and that LED seems very bright when trying to sleep, so I always have to unplug it before bed.
Is there a setting somewhere in the UEFI where I can make it so that when the PC is switched off, everything connected via USB is 'off' too?

Thanks

Soldato
@AsrockMB

Warranty....

Nice to see that the boards come with a three year warranty but how is that handled....?

I have tended to buy my motherboards from another major manufacturer just because they have a phenomenally good UK based returns service and, for me, they have repaired and return a faulty motherboard well within a week. Now that makes a difference for me when deciding what to buy.

So could you please tell me how Asrock will handle, in collaboration with OCUK, any returns etc of motherboards if they develop a fault within that three years warranty period...?
Typical timescales and where they will be shipped etc would also be useful to know.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Great! - thanks for your help!#

On a completely different subject...
I have a number of USB devices connected to my PC - for example my audio interface.
Now, when plugged in, the power light on the audio interface is on whether the PC is on or not. The PC's in my bedroom and that LED seems very bright when trying to sleep, so I always have to unplug it before bed.
Is there a setting somewhere in the UEFI where I can make it so that when the PC is switched off, everything connected via USB is 'off' too?

Thanks
Normally there's a few ports that are always on (for charging purposes), and a bunch that aren't. A simple solution would be to switch USB ports, another one would be changing the USB port behavior in BIOS under power options.

@AsrockMB

Warranty....

Nice to see that the boards come with a three year warranty but how is that handled....?

I have tended to buy my motherboards from another major manufacturer just because they have a phenomenally good UK based returns service and, for me, they have repaired and return a faulty motherboard well within a week. Now that makes a difference for me when deciding what to buy.

So could you please tell me how Asrock will handle, in collaboration with OCUK, any returns etc of motherboards if they develop a fault within that three years warranty period...?
Typical timescales and where they will be shipped etc would also be useful to know.

Thanks
Warranty-wise, if something goes wrong, your first step is contacting the dealer. Normally our dealers are committed to supporting our products throughout the warranty period (3 years for select boards, 5 years for OC Formula), so you shouldn't need to worry about contacting anyone else.

In case the dealer refuses (or doesn't exist anymore) and the board is within the warranty period, the next step is to submit a ticket here: http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Once we've had a look at the case, you'll get an RMA number, and the board needs to be shipped to The Netherlands, where it'll be 3-7 business days until you get it repaired or replaced.

Back
Top Bottom