The Aston Villa Football Club Thread ***No Spoilers***

Associate
PLEASE READ BELOW RULES BEFORE POSTING

1. These threads are for: tactical/player discussion inbetween weekend matchday threads, injury news, contract renewals, manager press conferences, and general minor news about your club that may not warrant its own thread. Anything that's not regarded as a minor news story must go in it's own thread.

2. No Spoilers! Please keep any discussion about weekend fixtures to the relevant matchday threads, at least until MOTD has been shown.

3. All transfer talk should be discussed in the dedicated transfers threads. Small rumours, signing of youth players etc outside the transfer window when the transfer threads aren't open are fine.

4. As per forum rules, keep it civil, supporters of any team are welcome to post in all club threads. If you have a problem with a post, RTM it. Trolling or accusations of trolling will not be tolerated.

While all the rules must be listened to, take particular care of the rule regarding spoilers. Any mention of the result or performance, even hinting at it, prior to MOTD will result in a suspension.

General club discussion between Villa fans was getting a little lost in the main threads and there seems to be a few of us kicking about now. As per the rules I thought I'd make a dedicated thread for such discussion :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
PLEASE READ BELOW RULES BEFORE POSTING

Post match discussion between Villa fans was getting a little lost in the main threads and there seems to be a few of us kicking about now. As per the rules I thought I'd make a dedicated thread for such discussion :)
You realise any match discussion whether it be pre or post match must still go in the matchday threads right?

Associate
OP
You realise any match discussion whether it be pre or post match must still go in the matchday threads right?

Indeed, I meant more blanket discussion I suppose. Will amend the OP to reflect this.

I'll get us going I suppose.

It's been a tough new year so far. Results have been thin on the ground for the most part.

Recent poor results imo felt much like poor Newcastle performances under Howe in as much as we could see the problem but nothing was done about it from the manager ie. late subs, no visible formation change, a lack of press, continuously playing out from the back with little success and weak midfield performances.

We could blame injuries of course, but we've looked a little dull for weeks now and Emerys shown he can work the team with star players out (Buendia and Mings).
I'm not going to count the Sheffield united game. Getting 5 past one of the worst teams in the history of the league can't be seen as a real result, especially as they ended our winning run at VP not two moths ago.

What does everyone else feel? Is it lack of squad depth or sheer stubborn belligerence from Emery to stick with the system that stood us in good stead for the first half of the season?

Soldato
It does feel like we're flagging a little. We desperately need a result against our bogey team at the weekend to get that confidence back up. We've got a few winnable games after this one. Bit worried about how poor Kamara has been since his return. That daft red he got against Brentford was the start of our blip and he just hasn't got back into the swing of things quickly.

Can't wait for Pau to be back to full fitness too. Lenglet just isn't good enough.

Associate
OP
Kamara has always been that rock player since Gerrard left, I never thought he put in a bad performance, but he was one of the worst players on the pitch Wednesday and your right, you can trace it back to he Brentford game.

Lenglet has showed flashes but has none of the creative plays Torres is capable of. I also think Cash is on his last legs as a Villa player and he knows it. He's the last of the Dean Smith lot and as much as I love him, I just don't think he's good enough for the levels we're trying to reach anymore. Doesn't look confident when he makes the runs and never seems to trust the long balls in.

Such a big game on Sunday. I'd be furious if it was us who opened up the doors for them to get a CL spot.

Associate
OP
Not that I'm necessarily looking for sympathy, but I've no doubt the press will continue to throw the likes of Newcastle and Spurs a bone with regards injuries this season whereas our narrative will continue to have a distinctly 'burst bubble' feel about it. The plucky mid table side who over performed and will be back to there tepid ways soon enough.

Having said that Stephen Warnock wrote a pretty concise and unbiased article yesterday. Not just saying that because he still fancies us for top 4 either ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Aye, was our best away performance for quite some time against a side that can be very sticky at home. Thought we looked very comfortable at the back with Pau returning and Ramsey really showing his vibrancy again after his time out.

It's hard to say whose got the tougher run of fixtures in the next month or two between us and United. Either way I think that 5 point cushion is going to prove invaluable. I wouldn't necessarily mind if Tottenham nicked 4th of us, but if we give United a look in I'll be furious.

Associate
OP
Aye, just hope we keep fielding our strongest 11. My dad asked me the other day whether I'd prefer the trophy or a deadcert for CL spot and it's trophy every time for me. Would do wonders for our confidence, more so then a CL spot imo. Just hope Emery feels the same way...

Associate
OP
Two big games coming up, though feels like we're saying that every week these days. This season reminds me so much of 18-19. The anticipation days before games is maddening.

I think we'll comfortably take the away leg tomorrow, but the Spurs game feels like a real biggy for the season. I think if we get three points we effectively secure top 5 barring any serious meltdowns. We're very lucky in that we have 'winnable' games in-between the ones where we're likely to get battered by Teams fighting for the title. Having said that we've beaten all those teams bar Liverpool this season already so who knows.

Associate
OP
hoping for a Villa mountdown as Spurs are really starting to look good now they have their players back.

As negative as I have been in other threads, it's game to game now. We had our chances to stretch the points difference and failed. It's all on the day now for both us and them. Still fancy us though, Spurs being who they are...

Soldato
As negative as I have been in other threads, it's game to game now. We had our chances to stretch the points difference and failed. It's all on the day now for both us and them. Still fancy us though, Spurs being who they are...
1 point gained and we were fortunate to get that one. A win there would have been good, West Ham have been on fire the last few games. Need Spurs to go Spursy and colossally **** up though, I'm not confident in top 4 tbh

Back
Top Bottom