The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
All I know is that monitor is going to cost me allot of money, in graphics upgrades I mean. Your going to need allot of horse power to run it at solid 120hz.

Soldato
I'll probably buy this over 4k 60hz since the resolution is still very good and 4k res 60hz will need even more gpu power probably than this.

Soldato
All I know is that monitor is going to cost me allot of money, in graphics upgrades I mean. Your going to need allot of horse power to run it at solid 120hz.

Thats the point in gsync, you won't need to be running 120 averages to feel you're getting the best from it, you'll get a similar feel and the same 1ms input lag from 30-144fps :)

Soldato
Thats the point in gsync, you won't need to be running 120 averages to feel you're getting the best from it, you'll get a similar feel and the same 1ms input lag from 30-144fps :)

:D we certainly hope so
30-144 might be a bit optimistic, but anything with minimums north of 60 should certainly be an improvment over being limited to it

Soldato
This does look interesting but £600 for a TN panel ? Six hundred pounds for a twisted nematic display. Better be damn good for that.

Last edited:
Associate
I think people really get hung up on what panel type a monitor is, bottom line is IPS can be complete crap, TN and PLS equally can be crap.

Permabanned
I've used 3 types of panels over the years, VA offers the best blacks imo, IPS best colours, TN (120hz+) best response/fluid image and most aren't that bad for image once calibrated. It entirely depends what you use it for though, obviously if you do photoshop work or anything then you can't expect a monitor built for gamers to be good at everything.

Soldato
I think people really get hung up on what panel type a monitor is, bottom line is IPS can be complete crap, TN and PLS equally can be crap.

You can tell pretty much before seeing the screen what it will look like from the panel type, these days they are all similar, for example with TN you can guarantee they will have bad viewing angles / psychedelic colours and low contrast, but good response times. Considering TN is the cheapest / oldest panel technology the price does seem rather high. If you have tried a good IPS/TN/VA panel and seen the differences then you will see why people say they want VA or IPS instead of TN. Maybe the 8bit TN panel with the 1440p and 120hz will still look good though if they can get decent contrast ratio out of it. TN does not have the white glow of IPS which is good. But £350 sounds more reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Permabanned
£350 for the first monitor using 144hz above 1080p, gsync, 8 bit colour which is extremely rare on a TN panel.

Never going to happen, if you wait a year you'll probably see it closer to that price, but early adopters always pay a premium and I don't mind.

Soldato
£350 for the first monitor using 144hz above 1080p, gsync, 8 bit colour which is extremely rare on a TN panel.

Never going to happen, if you wait a year you'll probably see it closer to that price, but early adopters always pay a premium and I don't mind.

Well £400 then, £600 is pretty extortionate, but if you want one and have the money then go for it. Alternatively you could buy an entire mid range PC or a new TV for £600 :p

Soldato
:D we certainly hope so
30-144 might be a bit optimistic, but anything with minimums north of 60 should certainly be an improvment over being limited to it

I only say 30-144 as thats gsync's operational range, so in my understanding as long as your minimums don't drop below 30 it should be an all round smooth experience :)

As for price, I'm out of things to buy unfortunately :o I also had money saved for a planned monitor upgrade, it just so happens this was announced before I commited to anything. Its amazing how it builds up sticking £50 a week away out of sight of the mrs :)

Associate
You can tell pretty much before seeing the screen what it will look like from the panel type, these days they are all similar, for example with TN you can guarantee they will have bad viewing angles / psychedelic colours and low contrast, but good response times. Considering TN is the cheapest / oldest panel technology the price does seem rather high. If you have tried a good IPS/TN/VA panel and seen the differences then you will see why people say they want VA or IPS instead of TN. Maybe the 8bit TN panel with the 1440p and 120hz will still look good though if they can get decent contrast ratio out of it. TN does not have the white glow of IPS which is good. But £350 sounds more reasonable to me.

That's the problem, people judge by the panel type and your right to a certain point that TN generally produces better response rates. IPS tends to have better angles and so on.......but to judge a monitor based just on its panel is rubbish.

When the rog swift was showcased at ces apparently several reviewers according to an article said oh its a IPS panel, because the viewing angles were better than you would expect from a TN panel etc.

People pre judge monitors far to much based on spec alone and the actual viewing experience could be completely different in person. Same goes for Tvs

Yes I have seen TN panels in person and PLS and IPS and VA, all I am trying to say is any panel can be made better and yes for some situations some panels offer some advantages but discounting any monitor based purely on panel type I think is crazy.

Soldato
Yes I have seen TN panels in person and PLS and IPS and VA, all I am trying to say is any panel can be made better and yes for some situations some panels offer some advantages but discounting any monitor based purely on panel type I think is crazy.

Its just the contrast ratio, colour and viewing angles that are not good on TN, maybe this one will be different, probably still be good anyway with the 1440p, 120hz etc. but the price is a bit steep. I would like one for playing online games like CS:GO if they sort out those problems and lower the price. It is not really "madness" or "rubbish" judging by panel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom