The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
I'd still prefer to see this in person it being a TN panel. I'm aware that the variability of quality across TN displays is much larger than the variability in IPS displays and so this ASUS model could be very nice and not much different quality to your typical IPS, but the TN aspect still worries me and so it would be much better for me, personally, to see this thing first hand.

Soldato
I'd still prefer to see this in person it being a TN panel. I'm aware that the variability of quality across TN displays is much larger than the variability in IPS displays and so this ASUS model could be very nice and not much different quality to your typical IPS, but the TN aspect still worries me and so it would be much better for me, personally, to see this thing first hand.

if TFTCentral or pcmonitors.info give it a good review then I'll be willing to spend the potential return postage to give one a shot :)
they go right in to measuring actual contrast, colour balance, calibration, ghosting, viewing angles... everything you would really want to know

Last edited:
Soldato
From a visual fluidity perspective it should be a noticeable improvement, particularly if you're able to drive high frame rates >60fps. For image quality it really remains to be seen, but you won't get the same variety of closely matching shades and consistently rich shades that you see on the PB278Q. That's a viewing angle limitation that applies even to 'high quality' TN panels. The overall image can still look vibrant and inviting, depending on how it's set up. I suspect it will have a stronger matte screen surface (not 'semi glossy' like on your PB278Q, but I could be wrong) and less generous colour gamut though so it shouldn't have quite the same wow factor really. You'll have to wait for the reviews. :)

Caporegime
if TFTCentral or pcmonitors.info give it a good review then I'll be willing to spend the potential return postage to give one a shot :)
they go right in to measuring actual contrast, colour balance, calibration, ghosting, viewing angles... everything you would really want to know

Handy to know a couple of good review sites and hopefully they will get them prior to release, so I know what to expect. If they get one on release, I will be taking a chance on one and happy to pay the extra to return it if it sucks.

Permabanned
I'll chance one as well I think, really looking forward to trying gsync out especially in games like Planetside 2 where fps can drop pretty low even with an amazing rig.

Associate
Im gonna be down for one of these

I know info is probably pretty thin on the ground but does anybody know if this will work with a gtx780 as main pc and also a vga input from another machine? (Two machines sharing one monitor) would probably have to get a kvm type deal but what one would suit this? Also could the vga pc has the res set at 1080p and play some older games and still look good? I assume as the aspect ratio of 1440p and 1080p are the same should be ok

Hope we get some solid uk release date on these soon

Soldato
Im gonna be down for one of these

I know info is probably pretty thin on the ground but does anybody know if this will work with a gtx780 as main pc and also a vga input from another machine? (Two machines sharing one monitor) would probably have to get a kvm type deal but what one would suit this? Also could the vga pc has the res set at 1080p and play some older games and still look good? I assume as the aspect ratio of 1440p and 1080p are the same should be ok

Hope we get some solid uk release date on these soon

This monitor only has a DisplayPort input for video signals.

Soldato
Thanks but is there not a vga to displayport adaptor? And is it just the one input it has do you know?

There is only one single DP input. No other inputs can be used because G-SYNC requires data packets which only DP support. You can convert a DisplayPort signal to VGA but not the other way around. This monitor is pure DisplayPort. Plus some non-video ports like USB 3.0.

Associate
There is only one single DP input. No other inputs can be used because G-SYNC requires data packets which only DP support. You can convert a DisplayPort signal to VGA but not the other way around. This monitor is pure DisplayPort. Plus some non-video ports like USB 3.0.

Not great news for me as i wouldnt be able to use both pcs on a single monitor :( appreciate the advice though :)

Soldato

Asus explain on their site that the reason for TN is because IPS just isn't responsive enough at high Hz. TN can almost be as good as IPS when using very high quality parts though.

Last edited:
Associate
I really hate Displayport. My fiber optic "DP 1.2" cable came in, and it turns out it's not DP 1.2, it's 1.1 and they advertised it wrong. So, after scouring the internetz, (all of them), I can't find a single DP 1.2 solution to go beyond the max ~9 foot distance bandwidth limitation of a normal passive DP 1.2 cable.

So those buying this 120 Hz 1440P monitor, or a 4K 60 Hz monitor I hope you enjoy having your computer close to your display. :o

Back
Top Bottom