The Big Shell Project

Soldato
Cool. I'd be interested to know what sort of difference it makes in frames-per-second to current(-ish) games at decent settings. Just cos the last time I even looked into overclocking a GPU was a GTX580 and I worked out I could get about 3fps at most by doing nasty things to it....so I decided it just wasn't worth it. Curious to know if that's changed.

Associate
OP
Spare Couple of Shots Thrown in Before the Benchmarks!

11_zpsyz7pt9ls.jpg

12_zpstbz2d0aj.jpg

Associate
OP
Benchmarks_zpsgc9zitmc.jpg

All the benchmarks will be with my CPU running my everyday 4.5GHz overclock and my GPU running my everyday 2101MHz overclock (I know I said before it was 2088MHz, but the benchmarks seem to have shown otherwise...). I was going to run them at 4.7GHz and 2126MHz respectively, but preferred to benchmark th system that I will be running normally.

The "stock" results are with the GPU running at stock settings and the CPU keeping it's 4.5GHz to see what the GPU overclock is actually providing. If you want me to run benchmarks with the CPU at stock, just let me know :)

All the games have been benched at UHD (2160p), QHD (1440p) and FHD (1080p) at overclocked and stock GPU settings also.

First I have the Firestrike results, I'll be posting the screenshots as well as typing the results beneath. I was going to do this for all of the benchmarks, but for some reason they weren't coming out right at all.

Also, I'm running driver 353.70 and Firestrike isn't sure about it, hence the Validation warning :p

FIRESTRIKE

Overclocked result:
FS%20OC%202_zpstvvqqpyb.png

Stock result:
FS%20Stock_zpsjdn4a5co.png

Overclocked: 19,819 Total Score, 24,221 Graphics Score, 17,380 Physics Score, 9,209 Combined Score.

Stock: 18,570 Total Score, 22,021 Graphics Score, 17,289 Physics Score, 8,998 Combined Score.

Overclocked Difference: Graphics Score +10%.

FIRESTRIKE ULTRA

Overclocked:
FSU%20OC_zpskqczae3n.png

Stock:
FSU%20Stock_zps3sr5u7es.png

Overclocked: 5,823 Total Score, 5,761 Graphics Score, 17,449 Physics Score, 3,037 Combined Score.

Stock: 5,251 Total Score, 5,163 Graphics Score, 17,450 Physics Score, 2,734 Combined Score.

Overclocked Difference: Graphics Score +12%.

TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER

The screenshots would not come out right here, I just kept getting blank shots, sorry :p

I used the built-in benchmark for this game ("Empire vs Greenskins") at the Ultra preset settings.

Overclocked: UHD - 55.2fps, QHD - 96.3fps, FHD - 126.4fps.

Stock: UHD - 50.2fps, QHD - 88.5fps, FHD - 119.5fps.

Overclocked Difference: UHD - +10%, QHD - +9%, FHD - 6%.

I tested DX12, but saw a pretty bad drop in performance so honestly didn't see the point and ran everything in DX11.

MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR

Again I used the built in benchmark and ran it using the Ultra preset settings.

Overclocked: UHD - 72.9fps, QHD - 128.1fps, FHD - 174.3fps.

Stock: UHD - 65.8fps, QHD - 113fps, FHD - 154.2fps.

Overclocked Difference: UHD - +11%, QHD - +13%, FHD - +13%.

Very nice, 4k maxed out at well over 60fps, the lows here barely dropped below 60!

Also, if anyone is interested, VRAM usage peaked at 6.3Gb in 4k here. Just so you know, since this is a more VRAM demanding title, the 8Gb is obviously plenty :)

THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT

Since there is no built-in benchmark for The Witcher 3 I had to do some actually work here! :mad: I also had to use Fraps to get average framerates if you were wondering how I managed it.

My benchmark run consisted of a fight with 5 nekkers followed some looting, a sprint on the horse into a populated area, some on foot running through the populated area, horse sprinting through some enemies, walking in the woods for a little and then running in the woods. Hopefully this gives an accurate average.

The settings I used were the highest post-processing and graphics presets, but with Hairworks turned off.

Overclocked: UHD - 50.4fps, QHD - 90.1fps, FHD - 123.1fps.

Stock: UHD - 46.6fps, QHD - 83.2fps, FHD - 112.1fps.

Overclocked Difference: UHD - +8%, QHD - +8%, FHD - +10%.

Since this is a game I like to play a lot I fiddled with the settings to get a smooth 60fps. I managed it by dropping most post-processes (mostly because I'm not a fan of blur and AA isn't exactly necessary at 4k) and by dropping background characters, water detail and shadow quality to high from of ultra. 60fps solid with the framecap and V-sync on and most settings on ultra :D

WHAT DID THE OVERCLOCK DO?

At stock settings my GTX 1080 boosted to a stable 1886MHz and when overclocked went to 2101MHz making the overclock around a 12% gain in core clock, as well as a 10% gain in memory clock (+500MHz).

This conveniently results in roughly a 10-13% gain in Firestrike and fps at UHD and QHD, so it is difficult to complain :p When you look at raw fps though, at UHD 4-7fps was gained and at QHD 7-15fps was gained which I would describe as reasonable, especially at the 50-60fps where 4-7fps can make all the difference.

It is worth pointing out though that my GPU is watercooled, so even at stock settings will run slightly faster than with a Founder's Edition cooler. Looking at other benchmarks seems to show that I gained around a few fps at stock in UHD, though it is surprisingly difficult to find benchmarks that use similar settings. I saw a couple of 1080 FE benchmarks that had Shadow of Mordor get 62fps at UHD which means I gained 16% over it!

Overall I am very happy with those benchmark results, but I may have to push the overclocks a bit more to crack the 20,000 mark in Firestrike ;)

Associate
OP
Overclocking Round 2: Smashing Firestrike

I couldn't leave things be. I had to attempt crushing Firetrike a bit more.

Smashing the 20,000 mark was ass easy as I had hoped. The original score of ~19,800 was pushed to ~20,200 by bumping up to my 4.7GHz CPU OC and my GPU OC to 2126MHz.

2016-10-31_zpskuojot6z.png

Although a bit too easy to make me feel satisfied, I was pretty happy with this. Until I opened the results details and saw that 8 people with my configuration had hit scores of 20,800+... So. Back to it!

600 points can't be so hard right? Except my 20,200 score was with everything pushed to pretty much the limits... So I cranked up the overclock to 4.8GHz and overclocked the CPU cache (normally I leave it at stock because it won't benefit me at all).

Annnnnndddd 20,335. Yes, a whole 100 points or so. Alright, 20,800 was farfetched. The GPU isn't stable past 2126MHz and I daren't OC the CPU any further. I tried turning off background tasks in the final run, I literally cannot get many more points at all.

There are a few more pictures to come (Hopefully right now!) and then I will talk about the cooling and some final words on the build.

Soldato
Firestrike is good for an idea of whether you're getting what you should be and for ego-stroking :p What's really going to make a difference to you is smooth fps at ridiculous levels of detail and resolution without melting your loop. If you've got that, the last few hundred out of Firestrike is kind of academic...not that there's any harm.

Soldato
That said, once my loop is working again, given your results, I may see if there's any low-hanging fruit to be had without increasing voltage and hence heat (much)

Associate
OP
What's really going to make a difference to you is smooth fps at ridiculous levels of detail and resolution without melting your loop.

A genuine worry. I pinned the fans at 80% for the extent of the testing haha! The real terror was when I OCed the cache on my CPU. God damn! All of a sudden at least a 10C increase in core temps! That solidified my retention of stock cache speeds :p

What delta temps do you try to keep your coolant at?

Associate
OP
The closing image. Pascal Founders Edition. Because I love that writing on the block being front and centre in the case, it was such a happy side effect of the GPU mount.

Soldato
I don't to be honest. At the moment I just keep the fans off until coolant is about 36 C and then run them until it drops to 34 C. It's mainly biased towards quiet.
Case fans are actually run off a stick-on temperature sensor on one of the pumps heatsink. That runs them at 6V (700 ish rpm) until it gets a bit warm (30-odd) and then brings them up to 900-ish and then full speed at a third temp. Bit vague as I'm not in front of the macihne at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom