• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury(X) Fiji Owners Thread

Soldato
Oh, i assumed it came with the gpu from the way you wrote it.

If i was paying extra for water blocks on top of the actual GPU cost I'd certainly be expecting lower temps than 47-50c.

No, was a custom job. 480s were end of line though, so it was a lot cheaper than a Fury X!
Still, we've all got baselines that we base things off don't we?
Some people look at triple fan 3rd party cooler temps and compare them to reference blower cooler temps to decide if they're good. You might be comparing AIO cooler temps to air cooler temps, I use my watercooled cards temps as a reference point.
If you're used to blower coolers an expensive AIO cooler probably seems like it give good temps. But if you're used to more expensive custom watercooling the AIO cooler probably doesn't seem as impressive.
Didn't shankly add AIO coolers to his 290s? Not sure what his temps were like.

No and I'd have to build a third rig if i wanted to do it as my main two rigs are designed around my job requirements. If my job ever requires it I'll do it, but I can't ever see that happening.

Yeah, to do it properly it takes a fair amount of effort and a good deal of planning.
It's not something for a casual PC person to undertake, probably something for an enthusiast. The level of the enthusiast probably decides if they go LN2, Phase Change (maybe not so much these days), the rigid tubing option or the simpler soft tubing option.

Caporegime
No and I'd have to build a third rig if i wanted to do it as my main two rigs are designed around my job requirements. If my job ever requires it I'll do it, but I can't ever see that happening.

Well temps are controlled by rads and fans and it depends on what you take as acceptable on noise and temps for what temps are. The more rad space you have helps and you can have slow spinning fans for quiet. People who have built custom loops would take those temps for pure silence and when overclocking for benching, they would turn the fans up for maximum coolness but obvious noise trade offs.

If you ever do custom loop, you will understand what is what and will have more knowledge on why temps are high/low.

Caporegime
No, was a custom job. 480s were end of line though, so it was a lot cheaper than a Fury X!
Still, we've all got baselines that we base things off don't we?
Some people look at triple fan 3rd party cooler temps and compare them to reference blower cooler temps to decide if they're good. You might be comparing AIO cooler temps to air cooler temps, I use my watercooled cards temps as a reference point.
If you're used to blower coolers an expensive AIO cooler probably seems like it give good temps. But if you're used to more expensive custom watercooling the AIO cooler probably doesn't seem as impressive.
Didn't shankly add AIO coolers to his 290s? Not sure what his temps were like.

Yeah, to do it properly it takes a fair amount of effort and a good deal of planning.
It's not something for a casual PC person to undertake, probably something for an enthusiast. The level of the enthusiast probably decides if they go LN2, Phase Change (maybe not so much these days), the rigid tubing option or the simpler soft tubing option.

I compare it to other cards that it competes against and cards I've owned previously and it's certainly a lot cooler and quieter.

I don't think you need to use LN2 to be an enthusiast, 8Pack maybe. I'm definitely less of an enthusiast now though, by the time the weekend comes around the last thing i want to do is start messing around with a computer. Gaming time is precious for me these days.

Well temps are controlled by rads and fans and it depends on what you take as acceptable on noise and temps for what temps are. The more rad space you have helps and you can have slow spinning fans for quiet. People who have built custom loops would take those temps for pure silence and when overclocking for benching, they would turn the fans up for maximum coolness but obvious noise trade offs.

If you ever do custom loop, you will understand what is what and will have more knowledge on why temps are high/low.

I think if anything the low temps of the Fury X has reduced the little urgency i had to make the effort to go water cooling. If i was still using a blower I'd probably be more tempted given the noise/heat, especially when you have more than one. With temps in the low 50's for a QuadFire setup proper water cooling is not going to make a big enough difference to justify the extra expense. I'm sure it would help for benching with voltage but aside from a few benches at OcuK the gpu's will be spending their life at stock clocks, just like all my gpu's before that did. So if it's already running quietly and at low temps, what' the point of spending more to run a little bit cooler and quieter? Diminishing returns and all that.

Thats why you have four of them. :D

I have four of them because I'm a nutter. :D

It's a fun hobby if you can afford it. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I compare it to other cards that it competes against and cards I've owned previously and it's certainly a lot cooler and quieter.

I don't think you need to use LN2 to be an enthusiast, 8Pack maybe. I'm definitely less of an enthusiast now though, by the time the weekend comes around the last thing i want to do is start messing around with a computer. Gaming time is precious for me these days.

I think if anything the low temps of the Fury X has reduced the little urgency i had to make the effort to go water cooling. If i was still using a blower I'd probably be more tempted given the noise/heat, especially when you have more than one. With temps in the low 50's for a QuadFire setup proper water cooling is not going to make a big enough difference to justify the extra expense. I'm sure it would help for benching with voltage but aside from a few benches at OcuK the gpu's will be spending their life at stock clocks, just like all my gpu's before that did.

I have four of them because I'm a nutter. :D

It's a fun hobby if you can afford it. :p

No, I don't think you need to do LN2 to be an enthusiast, I think that's at an extreme end of it. I mean you need to be an enthusiast to do watercooling, especially the more exotic variations.
As you say, compare to cards you've owned previously, which in my case includes watercooled GTX 480 and 4870x2. So when I compare card temps I compare it to that and find it funny when people think 50ºC is low.
I'm also pretty sure you could put a waterblock on any of the cards it competes against.

Caporegime
Fair play to you mate, I was just pulling your leg. :D

I'm looking to pick up a 5th actually for the girlfriends rig. She's using my 295x2 at the moment but I'd rather have it back than in her dust machine. :D

No, I don't think you need to do LN2 to be an enthusiast, I think that's at an extreme end of it. I mean you need to be an enthusiast to do watercooling, especially the more exotic variations.
As you say, compare to cards you've owned previously, which in my case includes watercooled GTX 480 and 4870x2. So when I compare card temps I compare it to that and find it funny when people think 50ºC is low.
I'm also pretty sure you could put a waterblock on any of the cards it competes against.

I usually just compare stock to stock regardless of the cooler because aside from messing around with an Accelero Extreme on my 7970 a few years back, i usually just leave the cooling as is for convenience.

Look what you made me google.

Enthusiast computing refers to a sub-culture of personal computer users who focus on extremely high-end computers. Manufacturers of performance-oriented parts typically include an enthusiast model in their offerings. Enthusiast computers (often referred to as a "box", "build", or "rig" by their owners) commonly feature extravagant cases[1] and high-end components, and are sometimes liquid cooled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthusiast_computing

Looks like you either have to have an extravagant case, high end components or water cool to be an enthusiast. Two out of three ain't bad. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking to pick up a 5th actually for the girlfriends rig. She's using my 295x2 at the moment but I'd rather have it back than in her dust machine. :D

I usually just compare stock to stock regardless of the cooler because aside from messing around with an Accelero Extreme on my 7970 a few years back, i usually just leave the cooling as is for convenience.

Look what you made me google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthusiast_computing

Looks like you either have to have an extravagant case, high end components or water cool to be an enthusiast. Two out of three ain't bad. :p

You're not watercooled so you've got an extravagant case?
Mine are just shop bought ones without customisation. Would love to see pics of yours!

Soldato
Fury X is all reference design, so all the overclocking apps should have support, if they're updated.

Maybe AMD should be actively pursuing this voltage unlocking issue. With the amount of people waiting or holding off buying Fury to see if it can overclock must surely be costing sales. Why not contact these AMD partners Sapphire/Asus, etc and ask what the hold up is?

Is the 'Overclockers Dream' going to be just a dream?

Back
Top Bottom