• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury(X) Fiji Owners Thread

Caporegime
Not being able to overclock? :o

Ha! Yep, limited to around 7.5% overclock without voltage control at the moment. However, if you need to overclock your gpu to get decent FPS then you picked the wrong gpu. :)

I was more talking about my CPU running warmer than my QuadFire Fury X's and having a very quiet gaming rig, overall. No high fan speeds to stop things from throttling anymore, no scorching hot memory chips etc. :)

Soldato
However, if you need to overclock your gpu to get decent FPS then you picked the wrong gpu. :)
Ha well whilst I was joking about and I didnt feel the need to OC the Fury X that I used briefly. Its still a feature that sell's GPU's and in the case of the Fury is what's needed to compete properly with the none Ref Ti's, so lets not pretend its not a desired ability. overclocking is how AMD has been selling its CPU's for 2 years now and some of its gems of the GPU world were bargains that could be unlocked and OC'd... (although I know its coming for fury etc etc)

I was more talking about my CPU running warmer than my QuadFire Fury X's and having a very quiet gaming rig, overall. No high fan speeds to stop things from throttling anymore, no scorching hot memory chips etc
It is indeed a nice situation to be in and good to see the lower fan position doesnt seem to be effecting the pumps performance either. I'll be having to rely on silent fan modes for a while though. :)

Soldato
Ha! Yep, limited to around 7.5% overclock without voltage control at the moment. However, if you need to overclock your gpu to get decent FPS then you picked the wrong gpu. :)

I was more talking about my CPU running warmer than my QuadFire Fury X's and having a very quiet gaming rig, overall. No high fan speeds to stop things from throttling anymore, no scorching hot memory chips etc. :)

Coming from a guy with an overclocked CPU? Did someone pick the wrong CPU?
Or perhaps people want to benchmark? Or did they just pick the wrong GPU again?

Also 50ºC for a watercooled GPU strikes me as running warmer than I'd expect. My GTX 480 maxed at about 47ºC and I considered that to be too hot.

Caporegime
Ha well whilst I was joking about and I didnt feel the need to OC the Fury X that I used briefly. Its still a feature that sell's GPU's and in the case of the Fury is what's needed to compete properly with the none Ref Ti's, so lets not pretend its not a desired ability. overclocking is how AMD has been selling its CPU's for 2 years now and some of its gems of the GPU world were bargains that could be unlocked and OC'd... (although I know its coming for fury etc etc)

It is indeed a nice situation to be in and good to see the lower fan position doesnt seem to be effecting the pumps performance either. I'll be having to rely on silent fan modes for a while though. :)

Re-asses when there is voltage control. My reference QuadFire reference 290X cards were good for about a 7.5% overclock too at stock, yet they still regularly outperformed equivalent cards at 4K, including the 980 which launched a year later. :)

Coming from a guy with an overclocked CPU? Did someone pick the wrong CPU?
Or perhaps people want to benchmark? Or did they just pick the wrong GPU again?

Also 50ºC for a watercooled GPU strikes me as running warmer than I'd expect. My GTX 480 maxed at about 47ºC and I considered that to be too hot.

Not for the first time, you've lost me. :D

Good temps. I didn't realise you could get AIO's for GPU's back then, impressive!

Last edited:
Soldato
Re-asses when there is voltage control. My reference QuadFire reference 290X cards were good for about a 7.5% overclock too at stock, yet they still regularly outperformed equivalent cards at 4K, including the 980 which launched a year later. :)

Not for the first time, you've lost me. :D

Good temps. I didn't realise you could get AIO's for GPU's back then, impressive!

Lost you or you just don't have an answer? :D

Soldato
Why is Unwinder being so stubborn. Just let someone send you a card already...

Of course then his narcissistic god complex would suffer by being beholden to whoever sent the card. And he obviously doesn't want that.

Soldato

My only assessment is to go 390x or none X. I was heavily CPU bound with the X anyway but thats going to stay that way for me at 1440p with most top range cards until the finfet CPU's come out which will be my next upgrade cycle.

I'm thinking Fury to last 2 years so I'm not doing a GPU/MOBO/CPU/RAM upgrade all at once :) but that means missing out on the HBM2 and die shrink goodness.

decisions decisions etc

Caporegime

MSI Afterburner might not be the only overclocking tool offering Voltage Control.

Why is Unwinder being so stubborn. Just let someone send you a card already...

Of course then his narcissistic god complex would suffer by being beholden to whoever sent the card. And he obviously doesn't want that.

Fury X is all reference design, so all the overclocking apps should have support, if they're updated.

Caporegime
And you've never overlcocked it?
If I look around the benchmark threads that detail CPU speed you won't have overclocked it then?

Oh yes, it's overclocked for benchmarking of course.

For gaming it usually runs stock (3.5Ghz) or 4Ghz if im recording videos. I have a golden sample which requires very low voltage so enables me to run very low fan speeds and still keep temps below 60C, but higher than my Fury X.

Which AIO did you use on your 480's, because those temps were impressive?

Soldato
Oh yes, it's overclocked for benchmarking of course.

For gaming it usually runs stock (3.5Ghz) or 4Ghz if im recording videos. I have a golden sample which requires very low voltage so enables me to run very low fan speeds and still keep temps below 60C, but higher than my Fury X.

Which AIO did you use on your 480's, because those temps were impressive?

Wasn't an AIO cooler, was proper watercooling.

Back
Top Bottom