• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Even more delighted with my Hybrid choice...

After seeing Jayz2cents review of the Hybrid, I'm even more happy with my choice to go for the hybrid. The extra £100 mark up vs. reference seems good value vs. having to do your own GPU cooler plus rad plus loop.

Anyone else decide to go for the EVGA Hybrid after seeing the review? I'm upgrading from a 780ti which is very loud and doesn't OC very well so looking forward to the improvements GM200 will bring!

On the topic of the Fiji card, I'm pretty sure it will be amazing and will have an edge over NVidia for 9-12 months but not a big advantage and with Pascal coming around, it will swing around again.

In the mean time, I know that my 980ti Hybrid will play any game I want at ultra settings and do very well. The best part of my setup is my ROG Swift anyways so G-Sync will keep me in the NVidia camp for a while.

I look forward to moving a 4K g-sync screen but that's probably another 18-24 months away for me and who knows what kinds of GFX cards we will have by then. Until then my 1440p is amazing with a smaller 1080p as a side panel.

Man of Honour
Even if Fiji is faster, and that's a big if, how fast will AMD be able to keep up with new drivers for new games? Judging by the past 6 months, not very!

Associate
After seeing Jayz2cents review of the Hybrid, I'm even more happy with my choice to go for the hybrid. The extra £100 mark up vs. reference seems good value vs. having to do your own GPU cooler plus rad plus loop.

Anyone else decide to go for the EVGA Hybrid after seeing the review? I'm upgrading from a 780ti which is very loud and doesn't OC very well so looking forward to the improvements GM200 will bring!

On the topic of the Fiji card, I'm pretty sure it will be amazing and will have an edge over NVidia for 9-12 months but not a big advantage and with Pascal coming around, it will swing around again.

In the mean time, I know that my 980ti Hybrid will play any game I want at ultra settings and do very well. The best part of my setup is my ROG Swift anyways so G-Sync will keep me in the NVidia camp for a while.

I look forward to moving a 4K g-sync screen but that's probably another 18-24 months away for me and who knows what kinds of GFX cards we will have by then. Until then my 1440p is amazing with a smaller 1080p as a side panel.

Was a good review! i enjoyed it, i preordered the hybrid on release day, will be going up from my 780 6gb on my rog swift as well. Hopefully we get a ETA soon!

Soldato
Even if Fiji is faster, and that's a big if, how fast will AMD be able to keep up with new drivers for new games? Judging by the past 6 months, not very!

Didnt realise there was a problem with single card drivers just crossfire profiles. With everyone banging on about drivers guess im missing something? Especially me using a 290x!

Associate

I'm moving from the same card as you, although it came clocked decently and generally sits around 78 degrees with a custom fan profile I'm looking forward to the upgrade immensely. I game in sims 5760x1080 and it's only really with the latest releases I am starting to have to turn things down. I may look to add a second in the near future once stock levels stabilize.

Has anyone who was expecting their card to be in stock yesterday had confirmation of shipping? Just being nosey about what came yesterday besides the Inno3d cards.

Soldato
Didnt realise there was a problem with single card drivers just crossfire profiles. With everyone banging on about drivers guess im missing something? Especially me using a 290x!

It's mostly just the lack thereof. AMD just don't update drivers that often. Unlike Nvidia who pretty much release with most new games.

Personally, for me, I like Nvidia and pay the bit extra premium as it feels like they go the whole mile, not just flog off a product and release whats needed to get you running. They constantly update and tweak stuff.

Also, I too was told I was 1st in the queue lol. Doubtful.

Man of Honour

To be fair I did have Crossfire, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Caporegime
It's mostly just the lack thereof. AMD just don't update drivers that often. Unlike Nvidia who pretty much release with most new games.

Personally, for me, I like Nvidia and pay the bit extra premium as it feels like they go the whole mile, not just flog off a product and release whats needed to get you running. They constantly update and tweak stuff.

Agreed. They might have some iffy business practices but at least it feels like they're looking after gamers somewhat!!

Of course they have a vested interest, but they're smart enough to realise what goes around comes around (approaching 80% marketshare for a start!!) :cool:

Also Gsync, their's a premium in comparison to Freesync of course but now we realise why at least! They vet the panels etc properly :) Also a vested interest of course, they realise once you're locked into it then you're more likely to get a nVidia card when upgrading.

No-one can deny that they're pretty smart at this game :D

Last edited:
Soldato

Ive not had that many problems with new games. Only games I have had problems with is ubisoft games and games which used gameworks. Everything else has worked fine, farcry(got this bit later)], elite dangerous, star citizens, GTA 5, fifa 15, shadow of mordor etc. But im not a xfire user just single card.

Caporegime
Ive not had that many problems with new games. Only games I have had problems with is ubisoft games and games which used gameworks. Everything else has worked fine, farcry(got this bit later)], elite dangerous, star citizens, GTA 5, fifa 15, shadow of mordor etc. But im not a xfire user just single card.

To be fair it's mainly power/crossfire users who've been having the issues...

Soldato
Bah!

Held off on Inno3D in hopes Evga would be in today... now thinking should have just grabbed em.

Why don't they make sure more stock ready on launches? This just feels like a paper launch to steal thunder from AMD.

Associate
Bah!

Held off on Inno3D in hopes Evga would be in today... now thinking should have just grabbed em.

Why don't they make sure more stock ready on launches? This just feels like a paper launch to steal thunder from AMD.

I don't undestand either. Surely if Nvidia had a launch date in mind they would get the cards out to suppliers quick enough and retailers should have stock READY for launch day..

Is this a sign to wait for the Fury from AMD :p

Associate
I don't undestand either. Surely if Nvidia had a launch date in mind they would get the cards out to suppliers quick enough and retailers should have stock READY for launch day..

Is this a sign to wait for the Fury from AMD :p

It definitely makes waiting easier seeming as we don't really have a choice.

Soldato
Ordered two MSI reference for RRP which should come saturday, and blocks should come tomorrow.

Universal blocks were a nice experiment, but is pain always having to find cards with VRM sinks.

Fingers crossed I get em...

Back
Top Bottom