• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Just ordered 2x EVGA 980 ti superclocks to replace my 2x EVGA 780 ti superclocks. Probably won't be able to accept delivery until monday though as I'm working saturday (one ever 2 months, sods law!)

Nice choice on the card :) Wish I could afford a 2nd one but saving for other upgrades at the moment.

Soldato
What i am seeing is a rapidly climbing tdp once you hit 1450mhz. I guess this is what nvidia found. Will depend partly on the silicon but 325w tdp nets 1513mhz at 1205mv and starts hitting tdp again. Card can do 1250mv but never gets there due to tdp. Reason g1s go higher is in part to their higher tdp bios limit hence the 2x8pin connectors over the 6+8 on ref.

Going to try 350w probably and see if i get another 30mhz bump. I expect vrm temps are having effects here but you cant read their temps.

Interested to see how you get on. Are you air or water cooled?

Soldato
The MSI Gaming 6G's fan at 100% sounds only a little bit louder than my 2 x 290 reference cards were at idle. Extremely impressed.

It boosted to 1341MHz straight out of the box with no tweaking. Managed to sustain a constant ~95 fps in BF4 @ 1440p Ultra.

Associate
Looks like the Strix cards are out in the wild.

The thing is massive! Looking forward to some comparisons with the G1

Soldato
@Anchor yh i did use the correct phillips head screw

i really dont wanna resort to drilling. ive already tried the rubber band trick and that didnt do much. ive done one card all installed and done. its just the second one which is a pita! got two screws out just need another 6 out.

i'll try again later tonight, was proabably best not to do it with sweaty hands with this heat :/

if that fails ill look into that fast608 you recommended amigo. thanks all for the advice :)

might be a long shot but if you have a small pair of pliers try to grip the screw if its not sunk and give it a tweak. Sometimes this is enough to loosen it so you can still use a screwdriver.

Soldato
I am thinking of upgrading my set to a 4K one. Am i right in thinking that i can save FPS by disabling AA etc as it will have little effect on a 4K pixel count

In some games you cant tell the difference with AA on or off apart from it chugging however with this beast you will probably find you can use at least the bottom level of AA if not a couple steps up without affecting the playability too much.

Permabanned
The MSI Gaming 6G's fan at 100% sounds only a little bit louder than my 2 x 290 reference cards were at idle. Extremely impressed.

It boosted to 1341MHz straight out of the box with no tweaking. Managed to sustain a constant ~95 fps in BF4 @ 1440p Ultra.

They top notch coolers. I so wish you could get a gaming edition TX!

Soldato
Yup at 100% the rpm is much lower than competitor cards but it's still effective, excellent cooler.

They top notch coolers. I so wish you could get a gaming edition TX!

Think I made the right choice :)

Got it to boost to 1461MHz in BF4 by adding 120MHz to the base clock. Increased the power limit to 109% in Afterburner (can't seem to get it any higher?) and didn't touch the voltage. TDP in GPU-Z showed 101.8% max.

mof

mof

Associate
My G1 came with a core clock of 1152MHz so I added + 38 on the core in afterburner so it would match the advertised base clock of 1190.
When I try to run the GTA 5 benchmarks it crashes at the loading screen.
The benchmarks/game runs fine with the 1152 base clock.

Does this mean there is something wrong with my card or the rest of my system or do you have to increase the voltage to get it stable at the advertised base clock?

EDIT: I just tried to play gta5 with everything at stock clocks and it still crashed. Could there be a problem with the power supply?

EDIT2: I think the crashes my have been caused by having MSI Afterburner running at the same time or possibly Steam because I've closed them both and GTA5 started normally. Might try again with a higher clock to see if it's stable.

Last edited:
Associate
Think I made the right choice :)

Got it to boost to 1461MHz in BF4 by adding 120MHz to the base clock. Increased the power limit to 109% in Afterburner (can't seem to get it any higher?) and didn't touch the voltage. TDP in GPU-Z showed 101.8% max.

What sort of temps are you seeing? Am really torn between this card and a Fury X. The more i read about the Ti the more it seems the better option. What are others opinions. One good thing is that the Ti can be had now. The MSI one interests me as it seems to be about the quietest from what i have seen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom