• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
You cherry picked your 980? That directly contradicts what 8Pack said. So do you still sell the ones you tested and didn't want as new?
we don't bin cards I was joking as we were being accused of asic binning cards. yet here i am with an utterly average asic score..... and an absolute dog of a card for overclocking, (read i'm too impatient and suck at overclocking)

Soldato
Do not just go adding voltage it is completely pointless and will only increase your temp and power usage within gaining you performance unless your voltage limit is flagging in afterburner.

My voltage limit is hitting 1 on stock clocks on full load. Adding more voltage doesn't change this either. Wonder if there is a bug with afterburner?

Associate
My voltage limit is hitting 1 on stock clocks on full load. Adding more voltage doesn't change this either. Wonder if there is a bug with afterburner?

I see the same thing with my zotac amp. I dont think it is a bug but could be. What we are seeing i think is a voltage limit due to thermal conditions. If you put your fan at 100% and fire up heaven i see my card boost to 1.224mv. However as soon as the card hits 62c it drops one voltage bin to 1.205mv then if it hits 72c it drops another voltage bin to 1.818mv. All the time the voltage flag is on. This leads me to believe the card can supply 1224mv as we see when card is below 62c but as temps go up the card backs off the voltage and you cant stop it. I cant see anything in the bios. I think this is a hard coded thing in the bios. Perhaps based on vrm or core temps not sure. This is why those with a hydro or water cooling will always see better clocks as their temps will stay below 62c. Try it yourself i am sure we will all see the same thing. Kicks in every 10c after 62c. So if your card gets to 82c it has probably dropped 3 voltage bins. Approx 25mv each time It drops. If the cards can supply 1224mv at below 62c and the bios allows up to 1250mv strange it cant do that. Who knows maybe someone has a better understanding of the card than me And can explain. Perhaps 8 pack knows how and why it responds like this. Otherwise probably need to ask nvidia.

Soldato
Ran fs with the power limit icon checked in os, card at 170/200. Starts of at 1499/3706 but soon after the boost clock drops back to stock 1329/3506, core clock actually drops as low as 1316mhz at times. Power limit icon stays at zero? Im running 100% fan speed and temp maxes at 71c, do some versions of theese throttle at lower temps as i thought 85c was the limit?

That's weird as I have the same card and mine sits at 1525 solid

Associate
I see the same thing with my zotac amp. I dont think it is a bug but could be. What we are seeing i think is a voltage limit due to thermal conditions. If you put your fan at 100% and fire up heaven i see my card boost to 1.224mv. However as soon as the card hits 62c it drops one voltage bin to 1.205mv then if it hits 72c it drops another voltage bin to 1.818mv. All the time the voltage flag is on. This leads me to believe the card can supply 1224mv as we see when card is below 62c but as temps go up the card backs off the voltage and you cant stop it. I cant see anything in the bios. I think this is a hard coded thing in the bios. Perhaps based on vrm or core temps not sure. This is why those with a hydro or water cooling will always see better clocks as their temps will stay below 62c. Try it yourself i am sure we will all see the same thing. Kicks in every 10c after 62c. So if your card gets to 82c it has probably dropped 3 voltage bins. Approx 25mv each time It drops. If the cards can supply 1224mv at below 62c and the bios allows up to 1250mv strange it cant do that. Who knows maybe someone has a better understanding of the card than me And can explain. Perhaps 8 pack knows how and why it responds like this. Otherwise probably need to ask nvidia.

Not sure this is quite correct, ive got a hybrid which boosts to 1340mhz and no matter whether I put +100 or +150 and any amount of extra voltage it still bounces around 1450mhz.

This is all whilst the core doesnt get anywhere near 60c.

I thought it might be the VRM's making hit a thermal limit but even increasing the stock fan (on the GPU itself) it still doesnt make any difference.

Id be interested to hear what others are finding?

Caporegime
How do you check the so called "ASIC quality percentage?"

download gpu-z and click the tiny icon at the very top left corner
Not sure this is quite correct, ive got a hybrid which boosts to 1340mhz and no matter whether I put +100 or +150 and any amount of extra voltage it still bounces around 1450mhz.

This is all whilst the core doesnt get anywhere near 60c.

I thought it might be the VRM's making hit a thermal limit but even increasing the stock fan (on the GPU itself) it still doesnt make any difference.

Id be interested to hear what others are finding?
You can see in gpu-z the reason
N9u8HWQ.jpg

Power limit is obvious move the slider in AB or flash your card if it's locked at 109% or whatever.
Thrm is obvious your cards to close or past the target temp (around 80c and boost scales back)
Vrel = cards got no more volts to give up the core voltage.
I dunno about others but msi is bios locked to a safe limit but you can still up it using afterburner to that limit (only gave me 30mhz more boost though but might give a higher oc manually)
Vop = no idea not enough psu?
Util just means the card isn't getting enough load from the game/benchmark

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
When it's Summer, and the top card is sweating its ******** off then I *think* I'd want the extra cooling power of the G1 ;) :cool:

Maybe we can have G1 on top and MSI underneath?? :p

Fixed that for ya! :p

I think i'd go G1, my brother has the same cooler on his 980 and it keeps it so cool during gaming. It put my 290x and my 980Ti to shame

I'm happy with that, I thought the 6G boosted higher out the box and quieter than the G1 though ?

Back
Top Bottom