• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Caporegime
It makes absolute sense.
What's the point of having the fans spinning if it's not needed? Low noise is noisier than zero noise. No power consumption is cheaper than low power consumption.
When not gaming all my case fans are off, for example. Only Cpu cooler is on.

Then all you're doing is letting your gpu idle at temps of 50C plus which helps heat the room up that bit more, ok I the winter but a pain in the summer. With the zero db off my gpu goes from around 50c idle to 33c idle. And seriously talking about power consumption for the sake of a couple of fans spinning? Doubt it'll break the bank and time in the next 100 years. Its not even a matter of comparing low noise to no noise, you cant tell one way or the other if the fans are spinning if they're at around 25% or thereabouts which is what it seems to spin at if I turn zero db off.

Last edited:
Associate
Still getting constant bsods with my MSI Gaming.

I can get it to crash 100% with GTA 5 during a 5 star chase. Usually within around 5 mins I'll get the nvlddmkm bsod :(

Also looking up at the Police Choppers starts to slow my game down fps down from the 50s to around 15. Not sure if this happens with anyone else's GTA during a chase but not long after that I usually have a crash.

Are Win 10 nvidia drivers generally ok for people? Im considering giving it a try, if not I dont know what else to do.

I dont get a BSOD but I do get failed initialization errors where GTA V crashed and need to be closed/re-opened, only happens in GTA and no other game (yet) - has gotten a lot better with the windows 10 drivers, I have only had 1/2 of these since.

Caporegime
Amazing how gimmicky the zero db fan is, you can't even hear it at idle with the zero db disabled so I'm really struggling to see the point. Yet now that's a selling point. 0_o

I don't use that feature either. Custom fan profile set. Not that much difference really as the card is quieter than a mouse. Loudest fans in my setup now are the CPU cooler ones. But I do have them on turbo profile in bios. 9 case fans are in a controller which allows them to be turned off if need be.

Soldato
It makes absolute sense.
What's the point of having the fans spinning if it's not needed? Low noise is noisier than zero noise. No power consumption is cheaper than low power consumption.
When not gaming all my case fans are off, for example. Only Cpu cooler is on.

A 1500rpm case fan typically runs at 0.1A on full load @ 12v. Give or take.

At idle, I would expect proper fan control to have that fan at roughly 50% (and even that's slightly faster than mine do).

So, 50% of 0.1A = 0.05A
Power = Voltage * Current = 12*0.05 = 0.6w = 0.0006Kw

Electricity right now costs around £0.20 per Kwh.

So, that one fan... running for 1 hour straight 50% speed... would cost.... 0.0006*0.2=£0.00012

£0.003 per day.
£0.02 per week.
£0.08 per month.

:rolleyes:

Soldato

At idle, I would expect proper fan control to have that fan at roughly 50% (and even that's slightly faster than mine do).

So, 50% of 0.1A = 0.05A

So, that one fan... running for 1 hour straight 50% speed... would cost.... 0.0006*0.2=£0.00012

£0.003 per day.
£0.02 per week.
£0.08 per month.

Dunno, in a hundred years, you'd have saved £96! :)

Associate
Anyone using the EVGA 980 Ti backplate on a non-EVGA reference card? I'm assuming it fits any 980 Ti reference card, but would like to confirm. Is fitting one likely to invalidate the warranty on a reference card and is there any risk of damaging the PCB or is it a pretty straightforward process?

Cheers

Associate
Still getting constant bsods with my MSI Gaming.

I can get it to crash 100% with GTA 5 during a 5 star chase. Usually within around 5 mins I'll get the nvlddmkm bsod :(

Also looking up at the Police Choppers starts to slow my game down fps down from the 50s to around 15. Not sure if this happens with anyone else's GTA during a chase but not long after that I usually have a crash.

Are Win 10 nvidia drivers generally ok for people? Im considering giving it a try, if not I dont know what else to do.
The poor fps is a game issue at the moment, specifically frame drops looking up at a chopper and shooting it, or heavy stuttering when lots of cops or enemies are trying to shoot you, or even a stutter when jumping forward or aiming out of cover.

It has been confirmed to be caused by the last 2 patches and rockstar are looking into it, outside of stuttering the game has been fine for my friends and I, crashing hasn't been a problem though...

Soldato
Started playing Witcher 3 again on lil 960, and I am pinning for 980 Ti again lol.

Think I'll be back in the 980 Ti club very soon lol. Really want a blower style card, did consider the 970 but I can't get my head around that memory issue. Will it effect future games etc. Then the 980 just seems underwhelming when compared to the Ti..

Big surprise that I've gone full circle :rolleyes:

Much happier with this new build though !

Right let's look for a decent blower cooler 980 Ti :D

Associate
I dont get a BSOD but I do get failed initialization errors where GTA V crashed and need to be closed/re-opened, only happens in GTA and no other game (yet) - has gotten a lot better with the windows 10 drivers, I have only had 1/2 of these since.

Yea I think I've had a couple of them too, in GTA and Batman.

Associate
The poor fps is a game issue at the moment, specifically frame drops looking up at a chopper and shooting it, or heavy stuttering when lots of cops or enemies are trying to shoot you, or even a stutter when jumping forward or aiming out of cover.

It has been confirmed to be caused by the last 2 patches and rockstar are looking into it, outside of stuttering the game has been fine for my friends and I, crashing hasn't been a problem though...

That's good to know then I thought they'd fixed this in the last patch. Cheers.

Soldato
Started playing Witcher 3 again on lil 960, and I am pinning for 980 Ti again lol.

Think I'll be back in the 980 Ti club very soon lol. Really want a blower style card, did consider the 970 but I can't get my head around that memory issue. Will it effect future games etc. Then the 980 just seems underwhelming when compared to the Ti..

Big surprise that I've gone full circle :rolleyes:

Much happier with this new build though !

Right let's look for a decent blower cooler 980 Ti :D

Full circle would be back to a titan x;):p

Associate
So, I keep on getting dropped frames in games, mainly Assetto Corsa. Is this down to my graphics card, settings, or DisplayPort cable?

I'm thinking the latter but I do not have a spare to test it with, this specific cable used to cause a weird pink grid to appear on my 4k monitor for around half a second every so often. It doesn't appear when playing on my other monitor, at 2560x1080, so I am not sure.

Associate

So, 50% of 0.1A = 0.05A

£0.003 per day.
£0.02 per week.
£0.08 per month.

Of course, just saying. I don't use any fan when in idle (besides Cpu), it's about noise.

Back
Top Bottom