• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
What was your previous cpu?

I wasn't able to get the card utilised consistently in terms of vram usage which I believe indicates bottlenecking?

I was also getting some little slowdowns in games which only happened after I got the card but before upgrading.

Everything is running well now though.

Associate
The H55 is all you need. Quiet and keeps temps below 55 degrees.
Anything pricier is pretty much a waste.
Just have to factor in another 14£ or so for a better fan.
(the only bad thing about the G10 is that it looks hideous).

Soldato
I would say keep both fans. I experimented with others but found temps are best with the ones provided.

The key to low case temps seems to be a high CFM fan on the H55 prevents the GPU backplate getting even warm as it chills the radiator keeping fluid temps low. Soon as I either lowered the fan RPM or used another lower CFM model case temps went up rapidly.

Changed back to the Corsair fan @ 1700RPM case temps went right down so did the GPU temps (from high 50s back down to mid 40s just using the supplied fan).

Caporegime

I wasn't able to get the card utilised consistently in terms of vram usage which I believe indicates bottlenecking?

I was also getting some little slowdowns in games which only happened after I got the card but before upgrading.

Everything is running well now though.

Yes, you would definitely see a boost there! :)

Associate
I would say keep both fans. I experimented with others but found temps are best with the ones provided.

The key to low case temps seems to be a high CFM fan on the H55 prevents the GPU backplate getting even warm as it chills the radiator keeping fluid temps low. Soon as I either lowered the fan RPM or used another lower CFM model case temps went up rapidly.

Changed back to the Corsair fan @ 1700RPM case temps went right down so did the GPU temps (from high 50s back down to mid 40s just using the supplied fan).

If you used a bad fan is a different story :p
The right eLoop, Vardar, Noctua and others will give you the same performance for less noise.

I can hear the stock one on anything above 40% (750rpm).

Last edited:
Soldato
If you used a bad fan is a different story :p
The right eLoop, Vardar, Noctua and others will give you the same performance for less noise.

I can hear the stock one on anything above 40% (750rpm).
My fan supplied by Corsair must be different its fairly quiet @ 1600rpm from 1ft away! From about 5ft away its almost 100% silent you can only hear the case airflow.

I tried a similar CFM fan temps increased a lot (10-15C more) I think best to leave the default fan in place its high CFM for a reason ;)

A lot of these so called high CFM silent fans are a con they displace a lot less air the specs are always wrong & or deliberate mistakes on PR like 75CFM + 14db + 150,000 hours yeah right :rolleyes:

Its very hard to get a high CFM fan which is 100% silent once they go above 1500RPM you can always hear the rotors/fan whine/airflow.

Noctua + Noiseblocker start off fairly silent then a few weeks later the bearings start to whine :( In the last few years I have gone through 4 x Noiseblocker & 3 x Noctua they do not last for long once the bearings start to wear the noise becomes unbearable they whine constantly).

IME you simply cannot buy a high CFM fan in the 20db range they do not exist. Anything over 25db is audible above 30db is quite loud. All depends on how far away you sit from your PC I guess & is subjective anyway if you game with headphones on all the time! I sit 1ft away game on speakers & notice loud sounds so mine has to be almost silent ;)

These are really quiet but airflow is not all that I have 4 of them.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/coolink-swif2-1200-retail-120mm-ultra-silent-fg-009-cl.html

Bought 2 of these last week good for the money but not high CFM at all 53.4 ish on the box not 75 (why I bought them 75 @ 14db is fantasy land packaging yes they are silent 14db is accurate but not high CFM at all they barely move any air from 1 cm away!).
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xigmatek-xof-f1251-fan-green-120mm-fg-042-xg.html

Avoid PWM as well if you want silence they are not silent once the motherboard bios profile ramps up PWM volts to match internal temps.

Associate

My question was more geared to the H55 specifically I guess, as there's a lot of 120mm options out there - But fair enough, I'm with you on the aesthetics of it.

Cheers!

Soldato
I'll see how good this one is once it gets here next week, should be just as good.
As far as PWM goes you can still select a custom curve (or a static percentage)!
Please let us know how that one is but I cannot see it being silent if it pushes that much air out! You will hear the airflow even if the actual fan mechanics are silent the blades cause the noise. Then some areas of your case will amplify this.

Soldato
Had a weird one today.

I was messing with my monitors to set my side and top ones to 2160p via DSR and when I went to play GTA I was getting 40fps...

Checked in MSI and core clock and memory clock were only topping 450mhz each!!!

Restarted my PC - all back to normal at 1400mhz and 3900mhz.

Very strange.

Soldato
Had a weird one today.

I was messing with my monitors to set my side and top ones to 2160p via DSR and when I went to play GTA I was getting 40fps...

Checked in MSI and core clock and memory clock were only topping 450mhz each!!!

Restarted my PC - all back to normal at 1400mhz and 3900mhz.

Very strange.
could be latest drivers, I had to take mine back to 355.98 because the new one runs terrible. I was getting low utilisation with both cards and even worse performance than with a single card. I also had a similar instance where one got stuck at something like 800mhz and after a restart it came back up.

Downgraded to driver 355.98 and running perfectly with dual card performance and no more random core speed getting stuck.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a very hard time believing that Techpowerup review is accurate!

No way @ 4K it hits 65C under full load water is only 45-55C ish triple slot fan low profile HSF is not all that temps wise.

According to them idle is 50C yet full load is only 65C again a fantasy figure for a flimsy air HSF!

Were these values taken in or out the case how many case fans etc etc

Looking closely at the review it looks like these values were taken @ 1920x1080 they are very similar to the results I got with my MSI 6G & stock HSF (55-57C idle & 65-67C under full load @ 1920x1080 even with not the worlds best case cooling according to some posters on here :rolleyes: ).

That card needs to be tested @ 4K for the thermal values to have context/meaning any GTX 980 Ti gives similar values @ 1920x1080 its well within the comfort zone for the GPU even the stock HSF models give similar results!

Back
Top Bottom