*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Soldato
whats up with tough swedes ?

I always cube/steam, and mash them with butter/pepper/salt, but 2/3 of those I buy, you end up with something that is tough/fibrous despite extended cooking.
Am I buying the wrong variety, at the wrong time ?

Soldato
re: toast buttering - Nigella, any publicity is good publicity ?
Don't watch Nigella any more, the double entendres, all seem a bit flat, and, recipes/style repetitive,
but covid, seems to have limited new tv cooks series - leastaways no new series from Guy Fieri, Hollywood(city bakes), or ... Rachel Koo.

Soldato
lemons :- having purchased a bulk bag of lemons, and anticipating which needed using first,
  • Hadn't appreciated, it is a good idea to keep them zip-sealed in the fridge ? no one told me.
  • Also, scrubbing them (soap) does not apparently remove the imazalil coating, I saw they have; the Aldi packaging was virtue signalling they were unwaxed, which i thought was good.
(https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/63105/lemons-and-oranges-coated,-with-imazalil)

Soldato
I'm going to 'make' fruits de mer for myself this weekend as it's my birthday and fancied a nice treat. A shellfish platter and a bottle of champagne sounds a great way to bring in your birthday.

Has anyone assembled one before and any tips? I'm hoping to buy a dressed lobster from the fish monger, and also have langoustine, clams, mussels, razor clams, crab, smoked salmon (because I love it!), oysters, shrimp.

I'm also going to make starters for us both, and a main for her (she's vegan, hence the lack of meat/seafood). Any criticisms/thoughts of the below? I'm off all this week so hoping to do all the shopping on Thursday and all the prep on Friday. I think it's quite simple, but should look great on a plate and be quite quick to plate up.

Starter - Grilled asparagus, asparagus sauce, pine oil, hollandaise, charcoal cracker & pickled enoki mushroom.
Main - Roasted artichokes, roasted carrots with beet puree, 'goat' cheese, truffle pomme puree, potato straws and hazelnut sauce.

And as it's my birthday, pudding is obviously going to be birthday cake :D

Soldato
I'm hoping to buy a dressed lobster from the fish monger, and also have langoustine, clams, mussels, razor clams, crab,
can you genuinely get all that sufficiently fresh ? pretty sure I couldn't in Cambridge
I'd put myself at the mercy of the fish mongers recommendations - catch of the day ..
and if it turned out to be a mussels (moulles marinnieres) or a piece of wild turbot , I'd be happy; langoustine especially I'd want to know their pedigree.

Soldato
can you genuinely get all that sufficiently fresh ? pretty sure I couldn't in Cambridge
I'd put myself at the mercy of the fish mongers recommendations - catch of the day ..
and if it turned out to be a mussels (moulles marinnieres) or a piece of wild turbot , I'd be happy; langoustine especially I'd want to know their pedigree.

I wouldn’t see why I couldn’t? I’m not sashimi’ing it. I’ve bought langoustine a few times and they’ve been grand. Heck, even the Chinese supermarket sells live lobster and crab, and has langoustone and clams on ice. I’ll be using one of the major fish mongers in the city rather than a smaller local one. Maybe our fish mongers are better?

Soldato
Cooks (and the pros @Raikiri ), assemble.

I'm needing some inspiration for a sauce for my main tomorrow.

I'm serving:

Lobster (will boil it, and then remove the meat from the tail and fry this off in some tarragon butter), fillet of beef (will sear in butter, and then roast in the oven to rare), truffle pomme puree, beetroot puree, potato straws (thin chips, to you and me), pickled mushrooms.

I'm thinking perhaps a seaweed beurre blanc?

I did just make a hazelnut sauce for a vegan main I'm making her (roasted artichokes, roasted carrots, beetroot puree, 'goats cheese', truffle pomme purree, potato straws) but it's not really wowing me. I'm struggling to think of a good savory sauce to balance the sweetness of the carrots and beets for that as well. Any ideas?

Finally, I've got no idea what I'm going to do with the meat from the lobster claws themselves. Perhaps a bonbon?

Soldato
UK needs to have some new vegetable labelling/honesty - tell me when it was harvested ?

yes I know if you buy foreign veg, that's an open date, so don't buy it, but, I now undertand why my Aldi sprouts were meh - 3-5 weeks

https://www.postharvest.net.au/imagesDB/wysiwyg/5-Brusselssprout.pdf

50924949968_be3a96b4a8_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Weird question but does anyone know why every single online retailer seems to be sold out of all models of KitchenAid? I can't find a single site with any model in stock.

Associate
does anyone know why every single online retailer seems to be sold out of all models of KitchenAid? I can't find a single site with any model in stock.
Depending on the model you want Nisbet's are doing next day delivery.
As for the shortages maybe Whirlpool are prioritising more 'essential' items such as washing machines, fridge freezers etc

Soldato
Depending on the model you want Nisbet's are doing next day delivery.
As for the shortages maybe Whirlpool are prioritising more 'essential' items such as washing machines, fridge freezers etc

Thanks, but it looks like they only have 1-2 mixers available, the majority are still out of stock!

Certainly looks that way re: Whirlpool.

Associate
Well not sure what happened to my thread about Huel / Bulk, but someone wanted to see my disability free gibs food stash:

https://imgur.com/a/y12NUht

1) Usual fresh stuff in the fridge:

2) Cereals / noodles / crisps:

3) Pasta / rice / nuts / raisins:

4) More cereal and spices:

5) Sauces / more noodles / dried pulses:

6) Freezer full of meats / veg / taters / cheese / butter:

7/8) Milk / Pop

Not pictured: 60 eggs, 6 kg all purpose flour, 3 kg sugar.

Soldato
radio 4 kitchen cabinet podcast ? - good programme only way I can tolerate Jay Rayner -
the advise from the chefs who participate is encylopaedic in terms of memory of ingrediants.

fell into same mistake as last year supermarkets selling horrible sprouts that have been stored for ages - returned them this morning
UK needs to have some new vegetable labelling/honesty - tell me when it was harvested ?

yes I know if you buy foreign veg, that's an open date, so don't buy it, but, I now undertand why my Aldi sprouts were meh - 3-5 weeks

Back
Top Bottom