*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Soldato
Some innovation - Duerr's marmalade , at least, have redesigned the screw top lid,
only happened 12 years ago, but maybe I buy very little jarred goods .(e: marmalade was on offer - never bought theirs before)
don't know what the premium is, but if pickled onions/beetroot etc had that , I know, for older parents, that would be attractivwe

The simple mechanism, developed by Crown Holdings, Inc., reduces the effort required to get the jar open. The appearance of the OrbitTM lid is very similar to a normal twist-off lid, but it is actually in two parts, both steel: a central panel is sealed to the jar by vacuum, and an outer ring is screwed in place to provide further protection.

To open the jar, the user simply twists the ring in the same way as opening a normal twist-off lid. Twisting the ring firstly loosens the ring, then smoothly pushes the panel away from the jar to break the seal. In this way, the ring acts as a tool to break the seal. As the panel is free to move within the ring, the sound made by breaking the seal is accentuated, assuring the consumer of the contents' freshness. Once opened, the jar may be reclosed and reopened as usual.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone using Hexclad pans or pots and can give me their opinion on them?
hadn't heard of them but looks like a gimmick, having metal exposed between non-stick segments won't mean you can really use any metal implement without care,
(not like a cast iron wok) and most of my fry pans die because I use fairly high temps (apple fritters frequently) and the non-stick gets deteriorates getting un-movable burned sugar,
which these pans wouldn't help -
looks like the are £££ too but lifetime warranty - yes really ? I'm sure they'd say I misused it.

Soldato
the carefully curated image by the benevolent owner and the free C4 publicity/series was irresistible to Mars, always seemed overpriced to me (Frey chocolate has been my goto)

more worryingly sprouts could be in short supply for xmas and - shrunk (so cooking maybe more delicate)
apparently the wet Lincs fields mean stalks are falling over in the fields so the bottom big ones are rotting and they are trying to use more of the top small ones, which explains those we found in Aldi.

Back
Top Bottom