The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Battlefield: Hardline.

Interesting slant on the previous BF games what with the ability to arrest suspects etc. I only played the campaign mode and not MP so can only base my thoughts on that. Quite enjoyable, nice visuals and ran well on my modest rig. SP mode was a bit short, acting in cut scenes seems to get more cheesy with each release but hey! - It's a video game so no biggy. :D

8.5/10.

Associate
here's what ive played lots of in past couple of months:-

Rise of Tomb Raider (completed) 8/10
Wolfenstein New order (completed) 8/10
Path of exile inc new expansion (lvl 80 ranger all difficulties beaten) 9/10
marvel heroes 2016 (max lvl dr doom) 6/10
The Division (about 50 hours lvl 30 etc) 6/10

starting on grim dawn now and also just purchased stardew valley which looks good.

Soldato
Just finished The Witcher 2- wow what a game, once it gets started! Slow story but it all ties up nicely at the end. The combat and general gameplay/ control is a big improvement over Witcher 1 but still a bit flawed (walking through doors and contextual buttons for climbing)

Overall I'd say an 8/10 but you need to let it warm up!

Soldato
Recently completed Tomb Raider and started playing Rise of The Tomb Raider but they are both nothing compared to Uncharted series.
Man, I feel totally opposite. I only played Uncharted 2, but boy was it just mediocrity in a bottle. It looked great for its time and does presentation better than just about anything else out there. But in terms of actual playing it? There's just nothing interesting about it. No sense of exploration despite the lovely locations. No sense of character progression. Not much variety in enemies. Platforming is 'press direction+button' with no skill involved. Puzzles are braindead simple. Absolutely nothing noteworthy about the combat.

Tomb Raider, at least the 2013 one(haven't played the new one yet), was actually really fun. Fun combat and traversal mechanics, larger areas that are worthwhile to explore, character progression hooks, 'sidequests'(not its greatest attribute, but some diversions here and there are nice) and just a general take on the formula that doesn't throw gameplay to the floor while everything else is polished to an immaculate sheen like with Uncharted. Really hoping they step it up with UC4, cuz The Last of Us showed that they can do fun gameplay in this sort of style.

Anyways, I'm basically done with Dragon's Dogma.

It was really fun for a time. Then it wasn't. I think I found my 'right' vocation really early on(Ranger) and so once I unlocked all the abilities for it, the combat started to get a bit repetitive, not helped with the game's low variety of enemies. But it really is high quality combat overall. They clearly put a lot of effort into it.

The rest of the game isn't super great. It continued to prove that it's very hard to do a game with partners that I cant control. I always felt like I was doing most of the work. Sword guys were there just to distract the enemies. And my mage would occasionally blow up everything on the screen with some cool spell. But otherwise, I really couldn't pay attention to them much and I just did my own thing in battle as that was most effective. The pawn system is interesting, especially in how it gives the game added depth, but I dont know that I loved how it all plays out.

The map initially feels like it's going to be huge, but then you realize it's fairly small. The content within it is ok, but I really do like a larger open world for these types of games. Gives it a better atmosphere and immersiveness. The quests were often really, really basic, with plenty of collectathon stuff that is easily ignored. The story was unintelligible til the very end. I honestly stopped caring well before then. One great thing was that, at least early on before you get fast travel, setting out on a quest really felt like an adventure. You had to make sure you were prepared and getting caught outside at night was truly tense, not just because of the stifling darkness, but also because many stronger enemies would come out, making a trek home feeling quite daunting and satisfying once you achieved it.

I did like the range of builds and weapons and armors and equipment in general. And I liked the leveling system. It did character progression really well and gave you lots of incentive to get money and level up abilities and unlock perks and whatnot.

I barely got into the DLC. Frankly, it just seemed a bit repetitive and I'm not the sort that likes to grind for end-game equipment anyways. So I didn't play a ton of it. I'm sure it's great for those who like that sort of stuff, though.

Overall, this game is all about the combat. It really rides that aspect of it the entire time. It has a few other redeeming elements, but the combat kept me coming back.

I'd give it a 7.5/10. I recommend it for doing something different to other games of its type, but it is definitely let down by some disappointing aspects.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dying Light (EE) - 8.5/10

Really enjoyed this game and had so much to do. Finished the main quest at around 55 hours and there is still stuff i have yet to complete. Admittedly quite a bit of that time was spent just kicking zombies off ledges or messing about in a certain area (farming the power station for instance).

Had some genuinely pants wetting moments too, especially at night early on in the game. Not sure my heart could take playing this at night using VR!!

jkb

jkb

Associate
Rise of the tomb raider. 9/10.

It's Lara and I remember buying a matrox mystique just to play the first tomb raider game so I'm probably a bit biased. This is the first game I have completed in many months, probably since Wolfenstein the new order. Graphically it was superb, fewer QTE than the reboot and an enjoyable story. It wasn't too hard and in fact I was so powerful with my bow and shotgun at the end that it felt a bit easy. Also some of the climbing right at the end felt different to the rest of the game, for example without warning the wall just fell away if you were on the wrong part, and swinging onto an arrow in one of the walls it was very easy to miss and once on it if it was too high up the wall you couldn't jump and get your axe into the wall - at least I couldn't! It almost felt like some of the climbing/jumping right at the end was made deliberately difficult but in a way that meant you had to die to work out how to do it correctly. Other than that I can't say a bad word about it. I can't wait for the next one.

Permabanned
This is a good thread but it puzzles me somewhat.

Games are obviously different to movies as they can take 20 hours plus to finish whereas movies are done in 2 hours.

If you think a game is really bad, how can you play it to the end? Dont you just think "No, this is utterly craptastic" and just ditch it and move on the next game? It's hardly like there's a shortage of games on PC.

Sorry for the extreeemely late response. You weren't specifically addressing me, but my FO4 post is/was somewhat relevant. I 'justified' my 1.3-ish playthrus with a combination of: the good bits, having too much free time, completionist tendencies and finding an odd enjoyment in comparing/'reviewing' many elements (including the 'really bad' ones, ironically). And mods - goes without saying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oblivion Lost 3.1 mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-oblivion-lost-30

Negatives :

* way too many military respawns - quite possibly the worst I've seen in a Stalker mod - at times it was ridiculous

* too much backtracking in the additional missions that followed the main story

* although the weight carry limit is more realistic than in quite a number of other mods I've played, it soon became more of a nuisance than anything else

* too many mutants

* weapon bob - makes aiming harder / looks silly, too

* locations seemed 'empty' - highlighted even more by the extra maps

* flesh pigs were overpowered

* translation wasn't that good

* shaking screen effect when waking up and, I think, after a blowout is simply.....terrible

* ambient music is much too quiet

* lack of information or guidelines in relation to the new missions

Positives :

* wide variety of maps included

* nice selection of artifacts

* free play & additional missions if you want to carry on after the main story has finished

* ability to interact with npc's seemed reasonable, all considered

* a decent attempt in adding certain elements to the game world to represent what we might have gotten had GSC been given more time to finish SOC

* very stable mod - though when entering the swamps (and possibly the Dead City - can't be sure), you may have to drop down to static lighting (most basic) to avoid crashes

Overall, fairly enjoyable on the whole but I'm glad it's over (6/10).

Last edited:
Soldato
On a huge mission to go through my steam library so i started with Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider 9/10
Great game, never was a fan of the series, last one i played was the last revelation. This reboot was amazing reminded me of a more darker uncharted game in a way. Quite surprised how dark this game got, pretty gruesome in places. Look forward to the rise of the tomb raider but ill buy it in the Christmas sale as i still got a huge list of games on my list.

Soldato
Life is Strange:

+Great Characters
+Voice acting is superb
+Soundtrack really nice
+Story very good
+Nice art style
+You feel part of the game
+Some bits are very well put together

-Felt empty after finishing it, the game really drew me in.

One of the best games i've played in the past 5 years or so, 9.5/10

Associate
Been working on my backlog, here's some brief personal musings .

£0.19 Hero of the Kingdom 6.5/10 Simple, but quaint little niche of its own, hidden object RPG.
Free Consortium 5/10 Praise for its Ambition, but bugs ruined it, necessitated out of game of research to maximise experience, sad.
£1.00 Bioshock Infinite 9/10 Great Ending, fun story.
Free Cities: Skyline 6/10 No Motivation, little variety.
Free Far Cry: Blood Dragon 8/10 Fun size slice of Ubisoft formula.
£1.39 War, The Game. 6/10 Good for cheap battle skirmisher, but little depth.
£2.99 Max Payne 3 7.5/10 Good challenge n variety, but unreliable narrator disjoints story.
£0.99 The Room 7/10 Superb puzzler.
£0.19 Blood Knights 8/10 Hack n slash debauchery. Played drunk <_<.
Free Binary Domain 8/10 Fun 3rd person blaster, neat twists, good dialogue.
£1.39 Braid 8/10 Inspired puzzles, but pretentious and abstract plot.

Back
Top Bottom