The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - 7/10

Tried to play it many times before and always given up due to the dull combat, but this time I installed some mods, including the Full Combat Rebalance one that makes combat much faster and more enjoyable. The game certainly has its fair share of issues in terms of pacing, repetitiveness and reuse of assets (there are seriously like ten models for random NPCs in the whole game), not to mention a dog rough translation, yet still tells a fantastic story and has tons of charm. I really enjoyed it despite all the flaws.

Started on The Witcher 2 now, which is a much better game all-round based on what I've played.

Associate
South Park stick of truth - 8/10

Funny and entertaining story and dialogue, assuming you like south park, the battles can get a bit tedious though but just put it on easy and enjoyed the story.

Associate
Shadowrun: Dragonfall

A faithful interpretation of the pen and paper RPG by Harebrained Schemes, a well-written futuristic RPG with good character development and good implementation of the systems various elements. Good depth in the missions, varying difficulty and character choice give good replay value

Solid 8/10

Associate
LOTR: Shadow of Mordor.
6.5/10

Pros:
- Nice graphics.
- good combat
- main story line
- upgrades

Cons:
- repetitive side missions
- ending
- feels like incomplete story when it comes to other characters.

Soldato
Far Cry 3........... 10/10

shoot at the camps at range, let them set off the alarms and just enjoy a nice long snipering session :D

Associate
Of Orcs and Men : Overarching story is really good, but the dialog was terrible. The controls were alright but i finished it on easy. Things could’ve been explained better but whatever. Its an Ok game, and i’m glad i played it

6.5/10 - its not a 6, but not a 7 either =P

Soldato
Started Lifeless Planet today about 3pm and finished it about quarter to midnight. Just had to keep playing as i thought it was billed as a short game. Some of the game was a lot of running around but the scenery was just really nice and the atmosphere with the music and sound effects and the tid bits of logs u pick up kept me engrossed. Loved the game. Dunno why i left it so long in my steam library as i got it awhile back.

If you like exploring a planet with a jet pack and just wana chill playing it. Pick it up its so worth it.

Audio - 9 (Great music sequences throughout and sound effects)
Gameplay - 9 (simple wasd and mouse really nothing overly complicated in the game except a few puzzles and awkward bits to get past but overall great fun)
Gfx - 7 (could have been a bit nicer res but overall quite nice for a indie game really)

Last edited:
Soldato
Bastion 8.5/10

I've had this game sitting in my library for a couple of years and have just got round to playing it and glad I did. Great little aRPG game. Intriguing story, great narration and soundtrack. Completed it in 8 hours but I think I'll be going back and unlocking quite a few things which I missed out.

Associate
Completed GTAV at last on Sunday evening. Having owned it on PS3, PS4 then PC. Have got to 75% complete so still more to do but I feel I'm done with it.

One of my favourite GTA games though. I've loved how technically well it's done and how it integrated some of the improvements from Red Dead Redemption. So roll on RDR3 and the next GTA.

EDIT - realised I haven't given the game a rating. I'd say it was a near perfect game and 10/10 for me. I'd agreed with the numerous positive reviews on Metacritic on this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hyper Light Drifter

Magnificent game. The first game I ever Kickstarted and I can easily say that it fully lived up to expectations and then some. And THEN some.

I really love the visuals. Easily one of the best looking pixel art games ever made. You can tell there was a ton of care put into the sprites and environments and animations. The sort of neon/pastel color scheme was also really well chosen.

The game also has great sounds and a soundtrack that suits the game amazingly well. Very atmospheric and unobtrusive, while still managing to be noteworthy and fitting.

Generally, Hyper Light Drifter is an open-world design. You are more or less free to go where you want and do what you want at your own leisure. You are never going to be locked into any certain direction and you can always go do something else if you find yourself stuck or in a tough situation and just need a break. Helpful warp pads(one for center area and one for each of the four main quest areas) make sure that tiresome backtracking is completely minimized. Each area has its own flavor and will have certain enemies unique to it, with lots of different ways to go and tons of secrets to find. It's very Zelda-esque in this way and is what people generally mean when they make that comparison. It's a very fun world to explore.

As good as all this is far, it's the combat that really makes the game shine. It's very much in the vein of Dark Souls in terms of how you need to play things smart, as even very basic enemies will mess you up if you go in wildly flailing around. And like Souls games, enemies all have 'tells' for their attacks so things are always fair and attacks avoidable so long as you are focusing. The game can sometimes throw a fair amount of enemies at you, so this can be difficult at times, but I never felt any encounter was unmanageable or unfair. I also thought the interplay between your sword, dash and guns were perfectly well balanced and implemented, making you take advantage of all of them if you want to do well.

Another Souls-like aspect are the bosses. Oh man, the bosses. There aren't a ton of them, but those that are there are really, really good. They are all fairly brutal and will probably take a fair amount of attempts to learn the best way to avoid attacks and when to strike. Most are multi-stage bosses in terms of how they get significantly faster and more deadly as the fight goes on, ramping up the tension considerably and making the satisfaction of victory a fist-pumping moment nearly every time.

The last Souls-like comparison comes from the story/storytelling. There's no dialogue or text. It's all very vague and cryptic and forces the user to kind of piece things together themselves through the little cutscenes and images that certain NPC's display to you. I never really put a ton of thought into it, just like I dont with Souls games, but it might be more interesting for those who like that kind of thing.

Progression is generally well handled. It's not super intensive, but you collect nodes that you can buy a limited amount of upgrades with. It keeps a decent enough carrot for people to be happy about exploring and getting new upgrades.

I do have a few criticisms, though. Secrets rely a bit too much on wall hugging. And there are a LOT of secrets and you'll have to find most all of them if you want all the bonus equipment. It rewards completionist-types well, but maybe not those that are happy with just a reasonable amount of secrets found, like myself. Also, I found the game a bit more satisfying before I got a bunch of upgrades. Not that things became easy afterwards, but generally, the first and second areas you go to will probably be the hardest because you'll have the least amount of upgrades at the time.

Maybe there's some other little nitpicks, but overall, I'll happily claim this as another indie classic and basically a must-play. Took me 9 hours to beat and I could see it taking a good bit more to find all the secrets. A very healthy amount of content all in all.

9.25/10

Last edited:
Soldato
divinity original sin ee 9/10

find myself getting bored with most games after several hours but this one kept me hooked till the end.

I'm just having an EE run through myself at the moment. Think this is the first playthrough where I pretty much understood all the mechanics (including crafting) from the start. It's made a huge difference :)

Associate
Just lost 2 days to Massive Chalice.

Fabulous, 9/10.
It's frustration free fantasy take on the X-Com formula, but without any of the tediousness that sometimes creeps into X-Com. I paid £3.74 in a Steam Sale for it, absolute bargain.

Soldato
Half Life 2 9/10

Just played through this game again for the last few weeks. Awesome game. Cut scenes that further a game not take over a game. Truly one of the best games ever IMO.

Soldato
Half Life 2 9/10

Just played through this game again for the last few weeks. Awesome game. Cut scenes that further a game not take over a game. Truly one of the best games ever IMO.

Amazing game, remember playing it after release. Great engine and attention to detail. Physics were also superb.

Associate
Finally finished both of these games today, I feel so productive...

The Witcher 3 - 8/10 despite it been a really great overall package it really lacked the story depth of The Witcher 2. I think the open world nature really didn't help with this as well, some of the side quest seemed soo much more interesting to me.

Dragons Dogma - It's really hard to put a number on this one. It's such a great blend of action rpg's, taking all of the great bits from games past and putting them all in one place. Both story and graphics are mediocre (even by 2012 standards) but the combat and gameplay really makes the experience enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom