The Militaria Thread: Collecting and Identification

Tea Drinker
Don
Needs a proper clean, it stinks of pledge, I assume it's been sat in a shop for years. But overall it's pretty good and not even been sharpened, it's still got a factory finish to the blade edge

Soldato
OP
Looks great fixed, Macca! Are you going to weather the current storm or sell your Bren on? There has been lots of panic buying and selling.

A new cutlass for me (bit of a mystery so far):

7IAkf1fl.jpg

And a project piece (an 1853 Enfield rifled musket, this one from the Royal Nepalese Armoury):

L7Mw2dAl.jpg

LOTS of hard work later:

fDCnY9Wl.jpg

There's still lots to do but I'm going to leave it as-is for a while as it's all new ground for me, such as re-seating the barrel in the stock, fixing splits in the wood, rebuilding lost sections of stock, and so on.

Tea Drinker
Don
Awesome work. I have no real patience for that sort of thing. I just make sure they aren't getting any worse and store them.

Me I'm not panicking.

I might get a free FAC if they want all antiques on FAC which is a bonus.

Did you see crimestoppers last night? Usual clap trap about gangsters running around with flint locks in the Midlands

Soldato
I wonder if anyone has actually been shot with an antique, I'm guessing not, they'll come back with intimidation during a robbery no doubt but surely a toy or a £30 ornamental gun would be a crims choice over a £1000 pin fire which would look comical to any hold up victim and be a danger to anyone who made bullets to fire from it.

A gas pipe with some fireworks and fishing weights shoved in it with a touch hole would be a better weapon than any antique imho.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got the clock back after being serviced by the local watchmaker, running beautifully and keeping perfect time.

ZDzb2pH.jpg

Soldato
OP
Awesome work. I have no real patience for that sort of thing. I just make sure they aren't getting any worse and store them.

Me I'm not panicking.

I think it'll work out okay in the end and the value of your collection will go up, hopefully.

I wonder if anyone has actually been shot with an antique, I'm guessing not, they'll come back with intimidation during a robbery no doubt but surely a toy or a £30 ornamental gun would be a crims choice over a £1000 pin fire which would look comical to any hold up victim and be a danger to anyone who made bullets to fire from it.

A gas pipe with some fireworks and fishing weights shoved in it with a touch hole would be a better weapon than any antique imho.

Mine is long past its shooting days, if it even saw any in the first place. :)

Man of Honour
Just got the clock back after being serviced by the local watchmaker, running beautifully and keeping perfect time.

http://i.imgur.com/ZDzb2pH.jpg

Nice. :D I've got a couple of chronographs from Migs. A lovely Jaeger 8 day chronograph and a Molnija 2 day one I removed from the Mig29 myself which was cool as hell. Both need servicing once we've moved house, but one will become my desk clock.

Mmmm... radium... Nicely radioactive .:D

Soldato
Nice. :D I've got a couple of chronographs from Migs. A lovely Jaeger 8 day chronograph and a Molnija 2 day one I removed from the Mig29 myself which was cool as hell. Both need servicing once we've moved house, but one will become my desk clock.

Mmmm... radium... Nicely radioactive .:D

ooh Mig29 clock, one of my favourite planes, very nice :)

I wonder if anyone has actually been shot with an antique, I'm guessing not,

close, my Dad was once the proud owner of many flintlock and percussion muskets and rifles, particularly a long land pattern Enfield musket which he would often demonstrate to the family or any guest by filling the pan with a dab of black powder and firing the flint.

One day he did this unaware there was a centuries old musketball , wadding and powder in the gun, there was an unusual bang (more of a THUMP) and we all ran into the living room to find it full of smoke , he blown a neat hole through an antique bedpan hanging on the wall and punched through the wall behind right through to the cavity.

Mum went berserk.

Soldato
OP
Wow, what a story! And that's why you always measure the barrel against the ramrod then ram home to see if anything's in the 'chamber'! What happened to his collection?

Soldato
Wow, what a story! And that's why you always measure the barrel against the ramrod then ram home to see if anything's in the 'chamber'! What happened to his collection?

He had some amazing stuff, short and long landpattern Brown Bess, a Baker rifle, Whitworth rifle , a Brunswick, the Whitworth and Brunswick were fascinating as they had early rifiling designs,

All got sold on as he realised his "hobby" was getting too expensive and obsessive , he still has a Martini Henry and a Colt Dragoon but the collection is a fraction of what it used to be :(

Soldato
OP
There was some serious values there, I hope he got some good deals. I'd love a Baker but I doubt I'll ever be able to own one, sadly.

Soldato
He had some amazing stuff, short and long landpattern Brown Bess, a Baker rifle, Whitworth rifle , a Brunswick, the Whitworth and Brunswick were fascinating as they had early rifiling designs,

All got sold on as he realised his "hobby" was getting too expensive and obsessive , he still has a Martini Henry and a Colt Dragoon but the collection is a fraction of what it used to be :(

Ha, I'd have kept what your dad kept too though tbh I doubt I'd have sold the Bess or Baker either unless bank or bird made me lol.

Soldato
OP
A new arrival, this time it's a mysterious cutlass:

Wynwnpdl.jpg
agCbq6ql.jpg
f2qjdlXl.jpg
nYrnsDAl.jpg

This seems to be an 1860 Italian heavy cavalry hilt married to a blade that I cannot identify. It's a short sword but it's a beast and I can quite imagine clambering over to the enemy's deck and knocking out some teeth.

Tea Drinker
Don
Today is the day folks if you want any current special deacs. Athe midnight all retailers are stopping selling till they firm up the regs.

World wide arms have stopped all online sales already

D&B militaria are still selling

Cold war collectibles are selling at cost (allegedly)

Back
Top Bottom