The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Why is that going through PB? That’s for solicitors to deal with. PB is basically just a Rightmove advert and a platform to book viewings before handing over to solicitors once the initial sale is agreed.

That’s why people say paying estate agents 1.5% of your house value as a fee is literally money for next to nothing.

Associate
I dealt with PB on a different house. It's a long story...absolute liars.

PB are the only EA that charges you for ID checks! Then tries to sign you up to a legal subscription...

Associate
Just had first offer for our place, £410k.....agents listed it for £425k which we thought was too high. If we could get another £5k would be ideal but we might just settle for what they offered now.

Soldato
We're close to putting our house up for sale. We've been looking on Zoopla etc and have seen a couple we like within our desired area but they are so few and far between. We could be in a situation where we sell our house but it takes us considerable time to purchase a new house. Has anybody been in this situation? How did the buyers of your place react? I guess the key is transparency with any prospective buyers.

Associate
We're close to putting our house up for sale. We've been looking on Zoopla etc and have seen a couple we like within our desired area but they are so few and far between. We could be in a situation where we sell our house but it takes us considerable time to purchase a new house. Has anybody been in this situation? How did the buyers of your place react? I guess the key is transparency with any prospective buyers.
People that bid on our house can move after two months as they are renting and have to give two months notice.
Meanwhile house we want is not on the market yet, there is probate that has to go through before it can be sold. We are trying to speak to the agent and see if we can buy it for asking price before it goes on the market as they want a quick sale.
Like you not sure what to do, there are mobile homes for renting in the are we are moving to so might rent one to tie us over......that's worst case scenario.

Man of Honour
The system in this country is utterly broken. If you have to sell a house to buy a new one, you're taking a huge risk that your buyer pulls out before you find the house you really want. Some get really lucky, others not so much. If you can afford to rent your house out and buy a new one that's one way around it, or move into rented/parents etc in the interim but it's not ideal.

Soldato
Is there a better system abroad .. or just higher turnover so more choice and less chance of chain breaking.

PB were going to the wall - lock in business model with very low conversion rate for sellers;
haven't got an estate agent in my chain, do wonder if advertising on the likes of gumtree/social media is the future.

Soldato
The system in this country is utterly broken. If you have to sell a house to buy a new one, you're taking a huge risk that your buyer pulls out before you find the house you really want. Some get really lucky, others not so much. If you can afford to rent your house out and buy a new one that's one way around it, or move into rented/parents etc in the interim but it's not ideal.
I bought a house and then put ours for sale, there was a two month gap inbetween where my directors loan account was a mess, but to be fair it was fairly easy. I did get very nervous towards the end as had so much riding on it all (£650k) i doubt many people are fortunate enough to do what i did no matter what country your in.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Is there a better system abroad .. or just higher turnover so more choice and less chance of chain breaking.

PB were going to the wall - lock in business model with very low conversion rate for sellers;
haven't got an estate agent in my chain, do wonder if advertising on the likes of gumtree/social media is the future.
Scotland?

offers/acceptance are legally binding AFAIK

Our first buyer took the absolute **** radio silence for weeks then on day of exchange around 2pm oh were no longer buying.
2nd buyer was a full on muppet understood exchange date (was a Monday) then on the Friday asked if he could have a Survey done >.>

Soldato
Why is that going through PB? That’s for solicitors to deal with. PB is basically just a Rightmove advert and a platform to book viewings before handing over to solicitors once the initial sale is agreed.

That’s why people say paying estate agents 1.5% of your house value as a fee is literally money for next to nothing.

I'm looking move later in the year and PB are really the way I want to go, I don't see the value of an estate agent tbh, after the advert and pictures on RM then the only value is checking the buyer can buy and handling the offer, all this for 1.5% plus VAT is outrageous imho. Last purchase I was forced into it to keep a house we wanted to buy but the thought of a 9k bill for selling my current house puts me off the whole thing!

Associate
Just had a friend sell with PB and he swears they were the best decision he made about moving.

Having dealt with **** estate agents in the past, I'm tempted to try them when we move. Hear a lot of horror stories about them but surely it can't be any worse than my local!

Soldato
Just had a friend sell with PB and he swears they were the best decision he made about moving.

Having dealt with **** estate agents in the past, I'm tempted to try them when we move. Hear a lot of horror stories about them but surely it can't be any worse than my local!

They were great for us. I wouldnt use a 'normal' estate agent again.

Associate
I dealt with PB on a different house. It's a long story...absolute liars.

PB are the only EA that charges you for ID checks! Then tries to sign you up to a legal subscription...
I've had similar dealing with PB too. Made an offer for a BTL property and was told by PB that the seller wants a higher off.er They told me that the seller has moved out and will include all the appliances, furniture etc as seen when we went to view the property. We made a £1k higher offer as we didnt want the stuff but thought we could sell the stuff later. Sale agreed, searches etc all done and as soon as we received the fixtures & fittings form there was no mention of the appliances etc being included in the sale. When questioned the seller said that he did not receive anything from PB to state that the £1k higher offer was for the appliances/furniture. Spoke to PB and apparently the PB agent no longer works for the company, They were a absolute joke to deal with.

Oh yeah and to charge the buyer a fee to confirm their identity?? Thats another con from them

Last edited:
Associate
It wasn't mentioned on the advert. I found out by accident AFTER searches/scummy ID checks etc. I withdrew and complained. They said it was acceptable to find out at solicitor stage! When actually all that was mentioned was the property had a 'flying freehold'! Then they said the EA told everyone all about the 'unwanted lodger' during the viewing! They didn't at all! It was an open house and there was 40 people there! Then they shove you in 'complaints limbo'. Honest to god, scummiest company ever! That's not even mentioning that for the ID checks, they MAKE you use a firm called 'Lifetime Legal' who sign you up to a 'free' subscription for 'legal services' and say it won't ever charge you. Then it does!! Then you have to argue for your money back, after it's charged you a monthly fee! Buying houses is awful...

That said, This time I've used a local solicitor and a MUCH better EA and I have my completion date for next week! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Our bidders have just come for their second viewing, as estate agent was late my wife showed them around and answered any questions they had. Just gotta wait now and see what they come back with.

Associate
As estate agent was late my wife showed them around and answered any questions they had.
Sounds like the estage agents should be paying you the 1% fee.

We had the same thing when we last sold, estate agents constantly late to viewings with potential buyers and in the end it was just easier for us to show them round as we actually knew the property, the neighbours, the areas, the answers to questions etc.

Back
Top Bottom