The new Arsenal Club Thread - *No Spoilers & Read OP Before Posting*

Soldato
Theres zero chance arteta would leave to go barca now hes doing a rebuild job at arsenal and trying to put final pieces in place at barca he would have to start from scratch!

Also his relationship with edu and the kroenkes is really strong

fez

fez

Caporegime
Theres zero chance arteta would leave to go barca now hes doing a rebuild job at arsenal and trying to put final pieces in place at barca he would have to start from scratch!

Also his relationship with edu and the kroenkes is really strong

Barca are still easily one of the biggest clubs in the world and Arteta is Spanish. You won't get too many chances to manage a club like Barca and managers know how ephemeral their jobs can be. You can be riding high one year and sacked within a few months the next.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If he goes so be it. He’s managed us well but were hardly drowning in trophies.

Nor are Liverpool and they have had easily one of the best managers of this era and easily one of the best PL teams ever...

Trophies are a reflection of your competition as much as they are a reflection of your own strengths. I think it would be a shame for him to leave. I certainly wouldn't be nonplussed at him leaving as an Arsenal fan.

Don
OP
He's not going to leave but he'll no doubt use it as leverage when it comes to discussions with the board over signings in the summer.

Man of Honour
The irony is arguably one of the best candidates to replace Arteta would normally be Emery (I think only Pep got more points in 2023?), but yeah, that's not happening.

Anyways, I think the plan is perhaps for Arteta to move to back to City when Pep's contract runs out next year.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Man of Honour
The more I mull it over the more problematic I think Arteta leaving would be. He seemingly has a good relationship with the board and is working on a 'project' to implement his philosophy. He's cast off the big money players like Ozil, Auba, Laca, Pepe etc to do that and you'd expect his relatively young team to keep progressing under his tutelage. Apart from anything else, he's got Arsenal back in the top4.

If a new manager came in, it might take some time to reset and go in a different direction. I also think there's one or two players like Raya (assuming he joins permanently), Jesus and Zinchenko that are very much 'Arteta men' and might not work so well in a different system.

I say this against a backdrop of not being his biggest fan, but it would be good to harvest the fruits of his labour over the next couple of years.

Soldato
He has got rid of Ozil, Pepe didn't seem all that bad to me (as backup for Saka which we don't have) and he's brought in a very expensive Havertz who could be our next Ozil.

We've definitely got a good group of players, better attitude, more fighting spirit and leadership than we've had for a long time.

He needs to stay and complete this, we will only get better and are a couple players shy of doing well IMO.

Soldato
We most definitely need to bring in a striker. We can't carry on without someone who can get you between 15-20+ goals a season.

Also if Partey is done, then we need a proper partner for Rice.

Havertz was a waste of money. Neither what we need in midfield nor what we need up top.

He's more like just an extra man in the squad which raises the over all squad quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, definitely need a striker...we've been missing that since Aubamayang had that stellar season when he signed a new contract

Caporegime
We simply have to cash in on Nketiah this summer. I also think Zinchenko could go as he’s never getting in over a fit again Timber, who literally will be like a new signing. Tierney can go as well. I’d like to offload Havertz, but that’s not happening.

Partey is now too unreliable, so let’s get a nice lorry load of that lovely Saudi cash in

Soldato
Can't argue, we can upgrade Nketiah for ~£30-40m, seems a good move...I like him but he's just not adding enough. Jesus is a bit hot and cold but some of his play is almost at WC levels at times...bring in Tony for ~£80m in the Summer and sell Nketiah seems a no brainer and fairly cheap way to make a big upgrade.

Then, as you say, replace Partey (Onana?), by all accounts we'll be abe to get a bit for Lakonga as well...or have him back as back-up as Elneny is off.

I think we could spend ~£100m, stay within FFP and make quite a step up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom