The new Arsenal Club Thread - *No Spoilers & Read OP Before Posting*

Man of Honour
What I don't understand about this 'over celebration' thing is why it is acceptable to celebrate a goal and not a win? A goal is an even smaller milestone, I mean you could score a goal, celebrate it and then fail to win the match. At least a match win is a step closer to winning something that won't change within minutes.

Soldato
Absolutely, it seems to be just aimed at Arsenal too...how many times do we see Klopp (for example) celebrating wildly - I think it's perfectly fine, it's why I'm hovering over the 'channel change' button near full-time when we're losing lol - hate it when we lose, but like to bask a bit when we win. The atmosphere was amazing at the ground, there's a real connection and the fans want to enjoy their time in the glory of the moment...as we know it doesn't last forever!

Caporegime
Absolutely, it seems to be just aimed at Arsenal too...how many times do we see Klopp (for example) celebrating wildly - I think it's perfectly fine, it's why I'm hovering over the 'channel change' button near full-time when we're losing lol - hate it when we lose, but like to bask a bit when we win. The atmosphere was amazing at the ground, there's a real connection and the fans want to enjoy their time in the glory of the moment...as we know it doesn't last forever!
You’re like me. If we lose, TV is switched over the instant the FT whistle goes

Associate
I can't believe anyone took what Carragher was saying seriously, its obvious he was just in a complete strop over Liverpool loosing but no one seems to mention that. Also, while West Ham were bad, to be fair Arsenal made them look bad, they were taken apart. This is a 3 way battle for the championship if Arsenal can maintain that intensity without a doubt.

Caporegime
I can't believe anyone took what Carragher was saying seriously, its obvious he was just in a complete strop over Liverpool loosing but no one seems to mention that. Also, while West Ham were bad, to be fair Arsenal made them look bad, they were taken apart. This is a 3 way battle for the championship if Arsenal can maintain that intensity without a doubt.
It always happens. Everytime we win people bleat on about how poor our opposition have played.

We’ve won every game in 2024. You can’t pin records like as down to facing poor opposition. I don’t see people accusing City of that

Last edited:
Man of Honour
To be fair, Arsenal didn't even play any league matches until the 20th of Jan, so that was their first win in over a month in any competition (lost every single match except 1 draw).
Typical form guide for the league might be last 6 matches, during that Arsenal have lost to Fulham, lost at home to West Ham etc. Both Liverpool and Man City have more wins and fewer defeats than Arsenal in the last six league matches.
Obviously with Haaland and KDB both back, you'd expect City to improve, and they are already at 100% wins over those six matches.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair, Arsenal didn't even play any league matches until the 20th of Jan, so that was their first win in over a month in any competition (lost every single match except 1 draw).
Typical form guide for the league might be last 6 matches, during that Arsenal have lost to Fulham, lost at home to West Ham etc. Both Liverpool and Man City have more wins and fewer defeats than Arsenal in the last six league matches.
Obviously with Haaland and KDB both back, you'd expect City to improve, and they are already at 100% wins over those six matches.
All teams have played the same no. of games this year except Liverpool (who matter), Newcastle, West Ham and Brighton due to the break. Point is, since our 'blip' and the break we have won every game...we can do no more than that. Add to that, last 5 matches we are 2nd to City, joint with Liverpool but superior GF and GA...you can count the 5th and 6th games if you really want to go back so far that it's not really what you'd consider a part of what you'd consider recent form.

But yeah, the usual, when we play well it's always the other team not turning up. lol

Last edited:
Associate
Pundits can't keep saying it's always the other team being bad, arsenal are playing incredible football right now, they make the opposition look awful. Odeguard back to his best, if not better than he's ever played for us before to be fair. Different class lately. Hope they keep it going.

Noticed, after Roy Keane said the other day Saka always cuts inside from the right, that this time he went outside and scored !

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I don't think we're seriously saying we don't need one - a striker would have earned points when we've drawn or lost and struggled to score.

Talking of xG - everyone waxes lyrical about Liverpool, but they are scoring way above xG which is not sustainable.

Soldato
No we're not :confused:

We have 59 goals from a xG of 58.29. Arsenal have 58 goals from a xG of 54.53.

*Figures from Understat.
Sorry, I meant xPTS (also xGA) - I totally worded it wrong - point being, you've got more point's than you should have based on what is expected by quite a bit (over 8pts);

Last edited:
Don
OP
Sorry, I meant xPTS (also xGA) - point being, you've got more point's than you should have based on what is expected by quite a bit (over 8pts);

Expected points is based on the difference in xG & xGA in each game and it's only xGA where we're outperforming and if you look back through every season since signing Alisson, we always massively outperform xGA. It's a perk of having the best keeper in the world.

Over the last 5 seasons, which obviously include 2 very poor seasons, we've out performed xPTS by an average of 8+ points so it is sustainable. In fact sides at the top of the table almost always outperform xPTS by similar, if not bigger margins.

Back
Top Bottom