The OCZ Vertex 3 Thread

Man of Honour
Put your benchmarks, firmware and other bits and pieces in here.

The man from DPD delivered a small parcel today :D:

oczvert1.jpg

oczvert2.jpg

Time permitting I will do a clean install and post some benchmarks tomorrow.

Man of Honour
OP
I've got the same set up as you, they look like pretty good results considering its the Marvell. What driver are you using? Is TRIM working? (Only some drivers seem to support TRIM with Marvell).

I think that they are fairly good for Marvell on an X58 board. I’m certainly not ditching a great system to get better results on Sandy Bridge. I’ve given up with the TRIM argument with Marvell drivers, some say they support TRIM and others not. The only drivers to have given consistent results on my RE3 with my previous SSD were the original Marvell 1.0.0.1034 and I am using these with the Vertex 3. I will experiment with a few others later in the week. What are you using?

Man of Honour
OP
Hi simulatorman

Did you try the newer 1.0.0.1036 drivers listed on the Asus site??

Not on this drive. I suspect that drivers won't help and that the Marvell controller bandwidth is being limited its implementation on this and other X58 boards. I will try it and possibly a SATA 3 controller card as well.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the link! However I would like to point out it's actually version 1.2.0.1002.

Here is a Google Translation from the website:

"After version 1.0.0.1051 WHQL version, here today version 1.2.0.1002 WHQL 88SE91xx Marvell chipsets (eg: 9128.9123), not Raid Raid XP/Vista/7 Windows 32 or 64bit.
No information about the improvements but he first saw an improvement in startup.
For information, TRIM and supported since version 1.0.0.1051."

At least we know it supports TRIM!

The 1051 drivers look good to me and I'm sticking with them.

Man of Honour
OP
Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'm quite happy with the performance I'm getting from the V3 on my R3E board. Out of interest has anyone found a controller card which will give full Sata 3 performance on a X58 motherboard for the V3?

Man of Honour
OP
Mine kept freezing. Does the firmware update help with this?

These are the release notes:

Issues resolved since version 2.02
Fixed a rare corner case issue where a STOP error may occur during Windows OS 7 installation on a small number of platforms using Intel’s P67 Sandy bridge chipset
Improved boot up time during typical operation
Improved the drive’s power consumption when it was in an idle mode

Probably not but you should have a look/ask on OCZ forums:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...rtex2-Agility2-EX-Drives-REVO-and-HSDL-drives

The update thread is here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ilable-using-toolbox-to-update-vertex3-drives

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Although I wasn't going to go through the hassle of fiddling around with drives and making a windows boot disc to do the firmware upgrade I found this:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...vertex3-drives&p=638016&viewfull=1#post638016

A ready to go Linux ISO toolbox.. A 137MB download and the ISO takes a minute to burn.

Boot with the CD and leave your PC with a network connection. Let the CD load and then reboot itself with the first option. The screen will give you some options including Secure Erase and Firmware Update. Select Firmware Update and job done in a few seconds. Reset your PC to boot from your Vertex drive and you are ready to resume business.

It really is quick and painless and I am now on firmware 2.06. :)

Note: You never know so backup any important data before you start.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Do you know if you can roll back? I assume once it is updated as aboce, you can reboot and then boot from a windows install disk.

Firmware updates aren't reversible. I should have added that when you are done just set your windows disk (Vertex 3) to be the bootable drive again in your bios and away you go.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
How have gone around Uninstalling the Marvell 9128 Sata drivers in the past? Did you use the Device Manager or uninstall using the Control Panel > Uninstall Programs utility and then rebooting?
I think the 1.0.0.1051 drivers are causing Windows to freeze for a min or so every now and again.
Any chance you can let me now what you done?

Just an uninstall from control panel uninstall.

Back
Top Bottom