The OCZ Vertex 3 Thread

Man of Honour
OP
How have gone around Uninstalling the Marvell 9128 Sata drivers in the past? Did you use the Device Manager or uninstall using the Control Panel > Uninstall Programs utility and then rebooting?
I think the 1.0.0.1051 drivers are causing Windows to freeze for a min or so every now and again.
Any chance you can let me now what you done?

Just an uninstall from control panel uninstall.

Associate
How have gone around Uninstalling the Marvell 9128 Sata drivers in the past? Did you use the Device Manager or uninstall using the Control Panel > Uninstall Programs utility and then rebooting?
I think the 1.0.0.1051 drivers are causing Windows to freeze for a min or so every now and again.
Any chance you can let me now what you done?

First check control panel for the Marvell app. Then go into device manager and find the Marvell controller under storage controllers. Uninstall/Rollback.

Associate
Just an uninstall from control panel uninstall.

First check control panel for the Marvell app. Then go into device manager and find the Marvell controller under storage controllers. Uninstall/Rollback.

So are both options pretty safe to use then? I thought there maybe a Driver Cleaner or Registry Cleaner involved.
Also if I reboot after I Uninstall the drivers will the Microsoft Sata controller drivers get installed automatically?

Associate
So are both options pretty safe to use then? I thought there maybe a Driver Cleaner or Registry Cleaner involved.
Also if I reboot after I Uninstall the drivers will the Microsoft Sata controller drivers get installed automatically?

This is the problem. Theoretically, yes they should. However I found that one time when I uninstalled the driver I ended up with a BSOD, make sure you have your W7 disc ready. If you can simply rollback to the standard windows driver then you should be fine, if however you uninstall the stock windows driver I think then you will get BSOD.

Associate
Word of caution - DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE TO 2.06.

Loads of folks over on the Corsair and OCZ forums are having major issues with the latest firmwares (either user-flashed or pre-loaded). Seems Sandforce fixed one bug and broke the drives in the process. Corsair are even (apparently according to one post on their forums) pulling the Force3 drives from retailers until it gets fixed and their forum tech guys admit it's a problem with the drives - OCZ on the other hand say it's all down to Vertex 3 owners not installing Windows properly (and boy are they getting flak for that lol) and so it's all our fault as all the drives RMA'ed so far by them test 100% ok... Make your own mind up about THAT lol.

My drive worked fine with 2.02 - 2.06 breaks it with the slowdown/freeze then BSOD at least 1-2 times a day. Serves me right for being an eager beaver I guess....

Associate
I had issues with 2.02 and Ubuntu 11.04 - the firmware upgrade fixed it. However it does sometimes appear to give me issues in Windows now, whereby it seems to just hang and the BSOD. On reboot, the BIOS can no longer see it, until I power cycle the PC..

Bit of give and take :)
I hear they're really pressuring Sandforce about the issue, so hopefully there should be another update soon..

Soldato
Soldato
JamesM - I ran a SATA III card but only had a PCIE 1.0 slot and no PCIE 2.0.

The throughput was (significantly) less than native SATA II. You will never get the same native SATA III throughput even on a PCIE 2.0 slot but close enough to warrant a SATA III current gen SSD.

I ended up just building a Sandybridge system instead but if you are not planning an immediate upgrade I would just get a SATA II drive which can saturate SATA II throughput.

Last edited:
Soldato
JamesM - I ran a SATA III card but only had a PCIE 1.0 slot and no PCIE 2.0.

The throughput was (significantly) less than native SATA II. You will never get the same native SATA III throughput even on a PCIE 2.0 slot but close enough to warrant a SATA III current gen SSD.

I ended up just building a Sandybridge system instead but if you are not planning an immediate upgrade I would just get a SATA II drive which can saturate SATA II throughput.

Thanks for that Sin. I kind of knew deep down it still wouldn't be as quick as native SATA III but was just wondering whether it was worth making the change or not.

Don't fancy changing to Sandybridge just yet, although it is very tempting, I feel that my current system can last an other year or so yet I hope!

I've got a Gigabyte P55-UD5 - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3159#sp - which I believe does have PCIE 2.0 so I may give it a whirl and see what happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to jump Intel ship and move over to AMD.. Came with SATA 3 as a bonus :)

Vertex 3 120GB

atto.jpg

Associate
I just had to RMA my 120GB Vertex 3.. was having loads of issues - iaStor0 errors, failing drivers and services, antivirus not working, system freezes, and the System Event Viewer log filled with errors and critical errors..

Tried Windows Clean Install on a normal HDD (taking the SSD out) and everything worked fine, including my BitDefender! Should have a replacement soon - will post some benchies :)

Back
Top Bottom