The OCZ Vertex 3 Thread

Man of Honour
OP
Firmware 2.15 is out! Apparently fixes the BSOD issue.

It fixes the ones they've managed to replicate:

Issues resolved since version 2.13:

Fixed a rare condition that may cause Windows Blue Screen error when the primary-configured drive woke up from either a SATA slumber mode or S3/S4 modes

Fixed a rare condition that may cause Windows Blue Screen error when the drive was configured as primary with OS installed

Fixed a corner-case issue that may cause the drive to stutter or Windows freezing screen when a media read error occurred

Further improved robustness of Secure Erase operation to prevent possible low-level data structure corruption

Significantly improved TRIM handling to enhance system stability

The 2.15 thread:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ead-for-questions-and-all-relevant-discussion.

Soldato
Just installed my Vertex 3 60Gb SSD, my results :D Should be noted it definately performs better in AHCI mode rather than IDE.

OCZVertex3.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
I'm still running firware 2.02 (no issues) should I upgrade?

If you haven’t had the BSOD problem then I wouldn’t bother. There have been so many firmware updates to sort this one out that you may bring on new problems if you do. I believe that they have also reduced some of the performance in the various releases so stay clear.

dww

dww

Associate
The latest firmware is 2.22; it came out in April. I finally installed it on my OCZ Agility 3 120GB a couple of weeks ago, and have had no SSD problems since, which is a great relief as on the previous firmware versions my PC would lock up every few days and need full power cycling before it could see the SSD again.

I still don't get anything like the "550/500 MB/sec" speed the OCZ spec promised - my top write speed is about 250 MB/sec. Turns out that you only get 500 MB/sec if you're writing highly compressible data (not real data which often isn't!) using the right Intel controller chips. My MB has a Marvell controller for the 6 GHz ports, which OCZ now say can't drive their SSD so fast.

So I won't be buying OCZ again, but at least the one I have now works.

I'm thinking about getting a Samsung 256GB SSD 830. Does that do what it says it does?

Soldato
The latest firmware is 2.22; it came out in April. I finally installed it on my OCZ Agility 3 120GB a couple of weeks ago, and have had no SSD problems since, which is a great relief as on the previous firmware versions my PC would lock up every few days and need full power cycling before it could see the SSD again.

I still don't get anything like the "550/500 MB/sec" speed the OCZ spec promised - my top write speed is about 250 MB/sec. Turns out that you only get 500 MB/sec if you're writing highly compressible data (not real data which often isn't!) using the right Intel controller chips. My MB has a Marvell controller for the 6 GHz ports, which OCZ now say can't drive their SSD so fast.

So I won't be buying OCZ again, but at least the one I have now works.

I'm thinking about getting a Samsung 256GB SSD 830. Does that do what it says it does?

Yup, I wouldn't wipe my backside with Marvell controllers so good luck getting a SSD to even think about being fast on them as they are complete and utter garbage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom