The Offical Lian Li PC-A05 Owners Discussion/Modding Thread!

Caporegime
OP
I WILL get pics later... just been a busy few days. My cable management REALLY sucks though, it's like spaghetti junction in there even with a HX620. :D

Associate
Hi all, nice thread and some nice links.

I'm gonna be ordering me one of these baby's now!
Regarding the front, such a gorgeous case I don't want to go slapping cheap plastic on it.
I'll be getting a Lian Li C-01B Bezel to cover the DVD, for the other 2 slots I was going to try and find a good fan controller with temp readouts and a multi card reader for the smaller slot.

Any recommendations for which ones wont ruin the looks of this case? Or better ideas for the front?

Thanks!

Associate
Thanks, ordered one, will see how it fits in, also ordered the Scythe Kama-Meter looks like it should blend in nicely.

Associate
Ive just picked up one of these cases today. Can anyone tell me which way up I should put the PSU? Should the fan face up into the case or face the bottom?

Associate
I've currently got a cheap and nasty iCute case, and I want something smaller but with enough room to fit ATX and my Accelero.

My only concern with case is the heat buildup at the top - i'm not confident enough to start cutting blowholes etc, so would a slot-blower be good enough? Anyone here use one/recommend a decent one?

edit-

Got my A05B last night and built this morning. Build was easier than I expected, and it is running pretty quiet so far. CPU temps are down 5C to 25C idle and GPU is up 5C to 45C idle. I'm missing my slot blower just now, so i expect i'll be able to lower the GPU down to what is was before once that arrives.

Last edited:
Soldato
guess im going to find out as ive just ordered this for my uber sff system.

i assume its best to have the psu fan point upwards?

Opt

Opt

Associate
American Scumbag jumps in on the fun.

Hey I actually purchased this case before I ever saw all the forums about it and I am delightfully surprised! I've always loved Lian Li cases and this is my first official lian li build; previously only used Antec and others etc. All I know is right now my system is a beast, and the air flow is so great, minus some minor draw backs prior to modding. Although I actually right now added a PCI Coolor which is sucking the air outta the hotspot at the top near the back allowing me to maintain 40c thru out the system but 60-70c on my cores during dual boxing MMO's.

Will be modding it on the top like you guys did with 2 scythe fans soon! I'm really sad though because I can't locate those bolts in America! I want the M5 x 20 BLACK ANODISED ALUMINIUM ALLEN BOLTS 8 PACK but I can't find them anywhere state side and was wondering if you or anyone else may have some advice about a site that has them that can do international shipping or is Amerikan based?

Also I was pondering, How did you guys take the black top off without removing the rivets it has on it? Does it slide off some secret way? Did you drill out the rivets? Did you do the mod work with the Black top attatched to the Case skeleton?

Thanks a ton ahead of time!

I'll post all my pictures if you guys wanna see my case! =-D

Lian-Li A05,AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black , 4gigz OCZ Reaper 5-5-5-18 1066
1 TB, soon Raid Raptors or previous mentioned Samsung, right now ATI HD 3850, Soon to be ATI 4870!
LG FLATRON W1952TQ

Last edited:
Associate
I'm part way through my modding of an A05 into a NAS box for my home theatre system. It's going to use most of the parts that I've been saving from previous upgrades as a base with a raid 5 array for storage.

Here are a couple of bad phone shots, I'll get some better ones up when I have time.

DSC00674.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

Opt

Opt

Associate
Nice

Nice man, I really like the mod you did on the front face for your..raid drives right? I'm not sure to be honest due to never dealing with Raid myself yet.. did you use the front mod on the face for cooling the RAID? If so where are your Cd Trays? Again sorry for my lack of knowledge on this front, I have yet to do RAID....soon! Next step in my current rig.

I think this case is geat though, I think the one Achilles heal of the A05 that I have seen thru my perception that effects me, is not having a grated front on the face of the Tower where the exhaust 120mm fan and PSU are located. The choice with air slots along the side of the face is while very cool aesthetically, isn't very efficient, no matter how you spin it, when I take the face off my degrees go down!

Although what the respectable Caporegime said still holds true in my mind,

Hmm not sure i'd have them as intakes... would impede the airflow going out of the case. I'm actually thinking of having the rear AND the front fan as intakes and using the top fans only as exhaust... would create a lot of positive airflow and ensure cool air is being drawn in both two sides into the case.
:(

Even with the PSU drag heat the one poster commented about may be a small con I believe the top exhaust while the mechanics of our current reality and dimension functions, heat rises, and the front facing being an intake and the back as well is what I believe is the best fan setup for this case if your going dry. Other additions are great, and adding a CPU HSF that Rifles air with a 120mm will go perfect with the Rear 120mm causing a good relay to go back into the top exhaust! This case is very HQ and has a a lot of options, like all Lian Li cases very proffesional.

Getting off on a tangent..but that previous paragraph just explains that I believe the one Achilles heal for me, the front face having the side vents instead of a front 120mm grate for the front fan, is completely mod by passable, by using it as an intake and the back as an intake and a top Rad grill double 120mm exhaust. It moreover is a an added filter when you throw on a fan filter and the vents around the outside only suck in a small amount not a direct amount from the air, and with the positive air flow guided to the top of the case, which functions as a vacuum, you will have a perfect amount of CFM even with filters to cool maybe even some SLIGHT or adventuresome yet aggressive OC'ing.

Just proving this case is near invulnerable to speculation =P the only weakness can be corrected with a little elbow grease.

I'll be posting pic's soon I'm lazy!(usb camera cord is in my car) :cool:

Associate
As it's going to be a NAS box I'm going to use an external DVD drive when it's needed as it will not need one usually.

The drive bay mods were done so I could fit one of these Icybox Caddies as I wanted 8 drive bays.

I think with the 1 or 2 120mm fans in the roof there will be sufficient cooling with the 120mm at the front just pulling air through the internal drives and the caddy has it's own 80mm fan drawing air through the drives as well. I've swapped the fans in the case so it will be all Noctua S12's.

Back
Top Bottom