Poll: *** The Official 2024 iPad thread (the Pro has the M4 chip and everything!) ***

Which 2024 iPad are you going to buy?

• Total voters
Soldato
I’m just failing to see a use scenario where these new iPads are needed. If they opened up the O/S a bit I could see but they won’t do that as that’s what a Mac is for. The M1 Pro is still limited mainly by thermals rather than performance.

Soldato
I defected to an S9 Ultra with the crazy deals on in April (£550 for the S9 Ultra/keyboard/Buds Pro 2). Was wondering if I'd regret it after the new releases yesterday but the pricing and iterative changes aren't leaving me too bothered.

iPad Pro 13"/Apple Pencil/Keyboard Case and headphones would be 2k ish.
Yep did the same , cost me a lot more than that though . If the pro had gone the same size 14.6 inch as the my S9 I might of swapped . I also discovered Google photos so I phone to Andoid tablet picture transfer is now seemless .

Last edited:
Soldato
Once again, impressive hardware. But largely useless as the software......once again.........doesn't back it up !

If they'd just put Mac OS on an iPad, that would be perfect, then a shortcut key maybe to flip between Ipad OS & Mac OS.

I would want to run proper Lightroom on this (classic not the web nonsense), with folders on the SSD or external drive - I understand I can run Final Cut Pro now also on the iPad, but ill be honest, I've never tried it - also how easy is it to get footage on and off it?

I also find the lack of proper mouse pointer and desktop env clunky, iPad os is 'Disney' mouse pointer, it functions but its not as accurate.

Hopefully the next iPad OS will move it closer to something more productive.

Caporegime
It seemed an odd choice to debut M4 in the iPad, the hardware that can make least use of the power.

Android is ahead of iPad OS in several ways that I can see (proper mouse support/DEX/multi-window support). If Apple want to sell their hardware at these prices they need to sort the software.

Last edited:
Associate
It seemed an odd choice to debut M4 in the iPad, the hardware that can make least use of the power.

Not really as the improved power efficiency will benefit a tablet with a relatively small battery. Also they are using binned M4's for the 256/512 iPad Pro which is a good way to get rid of ones they wouldn't use in Macbooks etc.

Soldato
Still really annoyed at Apple for making none of the existing accessories compatible with the new one. I was still ever so slightly tempted to upgrade but sticking to my guns, they ain’t getting my cash. The fact remains the new one can do absolutely nothing that the old one can’t.

And also the design is virtually the same, no one cares how thin it is… where were the large cohort of users shouting about it being too fat? A much narrower bezel would been a step in the right direction, inevitably they will do this, at which point the new accessories will once again be incompatible with the new model, and the not so virtuous cycle continues.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not really as the improved power efficiency will benefit a tablet with a relatively small battery. Also they are using binned M4's for the 256/512 iPad Pro which is a good way to get rid of ones they wouldn't use in Macbooks etc.
The battery life isn't really much better though is it? They even got a larger battery in. I guess they did get it thinner and the OLED probably is pretty power hungry so they needed the efficiency to not take a backwards step.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom