*** The official Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" ultra-wide thread ***

Associate
huh?, so my rog swift is 2560x1440, so this monitor has the same as my existing monitor but the difference being its wider right? the 3440 bit?

So apart from the wide bit its basically the same as what i have now?

man i thought this was 4k gsync with 100hzt, is this not possible?

Not until at least the next version of Display port (1.3) will you see above 60Hz , 4k and g-sync due to bandwidth limitations

Last edited:
Associate
Hey guys!

I just got word that overclockers got 8 ASUS PG348Qs in their first batch, which have all already gone out to pre-orders. (lucky b*stards to those of you who will receive yours this weekend!)

The next batch is expected in 7-8 days... I'm 9th in the queue and there are 14 pre-orders still waiting! *fingers crossed I get mine in the next batch*

Associate
OP
Cool my thread got upgraded to the official one!

Anyways, got mine last night, super impressed with it... in a different league to the x34 - no g-sync lag/flickering at all (which was my biggest problem), OC straight to 100hz, build quality is bang on, all is good.

I've only one slight niggle and thats some blacklight bleed in the top LH corner. Before anyone says, I know the difference between BLB and IPS glow, this is defiantly BLB. Given this monitor ticks every other box, I'm reluctant to RMA as sods law I'll get a worse one, so I'm prepared to attempt a fix myself - has anyone tried the tap and rub or credit card "repair" before on this panel, or others? Any advice? Might the top fixing tightness not be uniform - if so, are they accessible without voiding the warranty?

Thanks guys

Associate
Anyways, got mine last night, super impressed with it...

You lucky B*stard! :p

on your question about 'credit card' fix for BLB? - I'll have to google and find out what that is. However! on my Dell WFP3008, I had some BLB on the top right of the monitor, which I found that if I pushed the LCD lightly in that corner, the BLB would go away or at least lessen... so I took a piece of card and wedged it inbetween the LCD and the bezel/frame (under the frame), basically applying permanent pressure in that area, BLB never came back!

However, looking at the pictures of the ASUS, there doesn't appear to even be a bezel at all... so this wouldn't work :O

PS, take a pic of your monitor so I can drool over it whilst I wait for mine! :(

Associate
Cool my thread got upgraded to the official one!

Anyways, got mine last night, super impressed with it... in a different league to the x34 - no g-sync lag/flickering at all (which was my biggest problem), OC straight to 100hz, build quality is bang on, all is good.

I've only one slight niggle and thats some blacklight bleed in the top LH corner. Before anyone says, I know the difference between BLB and IPS glow, this is defiantly BLB. Given this monitor ticks every other box, I'm reluctant to RMA as sods law I'll get a worse one, so I'm prepared to attempt a fix myself - has anyone tried the tap and rub or credit card "repair" before on this panel, or others? Any advice? Might the top fixing tightness not be uniform - if so, are they accessible without voiding the warranty?

Thanks guys
Any sign of the monitor whining/buzzing ?

You could try rubbing the area quite firmly with a microfibre cloth.
Do it in low light with the monitor displaying a black screen so you can see it disappearing.
That worked many years ago with my Hazro

Associate
OP
Ha thanks, I had it on pre-order as soon as it came on the website!

Thanks guys, I'll try that tonight and get some pics up. I really don't want to RMA this bad boy. I didn't get much chance to put it through its paces but I couldn't detect any coil wine at all, not sure if this is related, but the transformer is external - I nearly flipped when I saw the super small power lead and was like.. oh yea.. there's more!

Associate
Hi overclockers got mine today thanks ocuk and nothing but amazing this monitor wipes acer x34 to the ground in the level of build quality it's like a tank and more sturdy and the issues of my old x34 is non existing on the asus I guess they took their time with monitor to minimize any known issues Iam in my first day of using .....Iam in love
I will report any thing soon I encounter through the night so far so good
back to the rise of the tomb rider

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK chaps, update:

I got back home and realised I was being pretty anal, but decided to try to remove the very minor BLB in the top left anyway. All I can say is it worked a treat!! All I'm now getting it (pretty minor) IPS glow in the corners - the worse is the btm left - the pics below are an exaggeration really.

Touch wood* I've not yet to have a proper gaming session (that's this weekend!) but so far this is a REALLY good monitor guys, I can barely fault it - sorry to rub your nose in it Drazek!

Before fix:

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_185720_zps4colt1iw.jpg

After

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_192830_zpsjdjp2pge.jpg

Few others:

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_191534_zpsacbywuff.jpg

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_191507_zpsevvyjebx.jpg

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_191642_zpsmzyzevdl.jpg

Sorry I used my phone, couldn't be bothered to get my SLR!!

Associate
OP
What did you do to remove it?

I used a fine cloth - the ones that come with screen cleaner, and gently applied enough pressure to the screen surface to get concentric circles on the screen when on and pushed along the frame edge (no bezel)) and into the corner. I was thinking the panel might not be "glued" or seated perfectly flush and it seemed to do the trick, literally going away after seconds, I've only IPS glow now.

EDIT:

I hope none of these screens suffer from scan lines, for the sake of the people who buy them :)

No scan lines at all on mine - it was the main reason my x34 went back and was the first thing I looked for on this one

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I didn't use the supplied cable, but the USB hub input could have been a bit longer for me as my PC is about 1m from the screen. Logic tells me the DP will be about the same, so say 1m ish at a guess. To be safe, buy a longer one, they're not expensive

Soldato
Trying so hard not to look in this thread, almost hoping it was bad and as dodgy as the Acer, seeing yours now the bit of backlight bleed is gone, now having bad thoughts about a monitor upgrade I really didn't think I wanted. Curse you :)

Associate
OP
Na, it's not cheap, but nice things generally aren't! Do it buddy, you won't be disappointed!

I've come from tri-surround and just couldn't go back to a single 16:9 now. This is the perfect compromise, you get immersion, without the excessive FOV distortion on the last third of both end screens, hence wasted pixels. Oh and, the big one - no effin pi***ng about with compatibility and drivers! Surround gamers will know what I mean here!

The ONLY real negative thing is the IPS glow in the corners, but you simply just will get that on a monitor this wide. A little design niggle, I always assumed the fancy lighting effect on the bottom was a g-sync indicator which (I don't think) is the case, g-sync is indicated when the power light glows red - I have to move my head to see it, again would it be distracting if I could always see the power light, IDK.

Given the 27" IPS ROG Swift is 700 quid, this is defiantly worth the difference IMO!

Back
Top Bottom