**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
Pre-ordered the Xiaomi 14 Ultra 16+512GB from Amazon last night, due to be delivered on the 19th March.

Got offered the Amazon monthly payment option thing over 12 months so took them up on that, no interest and no credit check or reporting. Money better in my account then theirs. :cool:

Associate
Pre-ordered the Xiaomi 14 Ultra 16+512GB from Amazon last night, due to be delivered on the 19th March.

Got offered the Amazon monthly payment option thing over 12 months so took them up on that, no interest and no credit check or reporting. Money better in my account then theirs. :cool:
Just out of interest how comes you didn't order from Xiaomi direct? They give you £50 , free camera grip worth £170 and table worth 300

Soldato
Just out of interest how comes you didn't order from Xiaomi direct? They give you £50 , free camera grip worth £170 and table worth 300

I didn't know, I think I'll cancel the Amazon order and buy direct from Xiaomi now. Nice one! :cool:

Update: Just gone and ordered direct from Xiaomi for the free goodies. Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
Quick question, can you change the launcher on new Xiaomi phones with Hyper OS? Want to use Nova

Really considering the 14 ultra having sold my S24 Ultra after being a bit disappointed with the camera . The camera on this looks pretty special

Saying that , I may just stick with my Pixel 8 pro as here is nothing wrong with it

Soldato
Quick question, can you change the launcher on new Xiaomi phones with Hyper OS? Want to use Nova
You'll probably have to wait and see. I've read that Nova doesn't work on the 14 Pro with HyperOS, but not sure if that's changed or been fixed.
Either way Xiaomi do not allow gesture navigation with 3rd party launchers, if you didn't already know.

I got rid of my 8Pro, great cameras, but the rest of the experience was very sub par sadly :(

Soldato

When I used a Xiaomi phone very briefly recently you could swap launcher but doing so would disable gesture navigation. There is no need for it to do that so it was Xiaomi trying to force people to use their launcher. That was on MIUI. Although HyperOS is basically MIUI anyway.

Associate
When I used a Xiaomi phone very briefly recently you could swap launcher but doing so would disable gesture navigation. There is no need for it to do that so it was Xiaomi trying to force people to use their launcher. That was on MIUI. Although HyperOS is basically MIUI anyway.
Thanks for the heads-up , may have to give that a miss

Associate
Got myself an Honor Magic V2 via the Three trade-in deal (£1,248 for the phone + a £500 bonus on trade-in value).

Hardware-wise it is incredible. Really thin. Decent screens. Great camera. Feels solidly built without being heavy. The only grumble I have with the hardware is that the hinge snaps open. It seems pretty clear that Honor intended for the phone to be used either open or closed, not partially open.

Software... meh. I'm back to faffing around with launchers and icon packs to try and get the phone looking good. I don't like the stock Honor apps. Gesture navigation is hit and miss, particularly when unfolded. And I've got a bug where the Microsoft Authenticator overlay simply doesn't work, so I keep having to grab my old phone for authentication. I miss the Pixel software experience already.

Just picked up one of these myself, hinge seems fine can be used in a range of angles, on the software side it's no OneUI but I've made its launcher and home screen a replica of my Fold 4 after enabling app drawer, no need for a new launcher or icons etc, just delete the Honor stuff or put it in a little folder :D, I'd say my main early gripes with it is it doesn't have individual front and inner screen setups like the Fold and the navigation bar is spread across the bottom rather than compressed to the right for one hand use on Samsung, for me gestures seem to be and easy solution for that though. The lack of an easy tri split is something I'll miss having got used to it but I can work around with bubbles or desktop mode.

for the authenticator issue have you tried forcing an aspect ratio? Have you got the B&O headphones yet, wondered how long they take to come?

Lovely hardware generally though, the extra bit of space on the front screen makes a lot of difference and the screens are noticeable improvement to the ones in the Fold4 bar one thing, fancy having a pinhole camera on the big screen, such a ruiner for media, pinhole camera cut out should not exist in any phone at this price point, I may have to run it with a black bar and cut the width, not sure I like that option either, Samsung's under display cam may not have been as good a camera but it makes the tablet screen better generally.

The form factor and weight reduction is a lovely improvement too, perhaps my trousers will now stay up :D Good charging speed too.

Still early days for me, gotta few things to trial before I decide to commit to it but I think this will replace my Fold4.

I think MagicOS 8 introduces 'swipe down for notifications' which has always been lacking for Honour/Huawei device and the worst aspect of their UI for me personally. Baffling why it's taken them so long.

It's there in 7, pretty sure it was there in 6 on my Honor 70 Lite, swipe down from top on left side of screen for notifications, right side for control panel

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I was referring to swiping down on any vertical position of the home screen like any generic android phone instead of the global search. The current implementation is ios like and not ideal for one handed use. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, Honor are not Samsung, not even close, can't split screen on the external screen, can't run multiple bubbles at the same time, all that power and you limit me, desktop mode does not have access to the browser, I have the browser on the phone but its not in the list of apps for Desktop mode, who tested this software :D I have had to try 3 browsers to find one that works properly, Opera for the win, except its a bit Urrgh.

I will say though having access to more than 5 apps in desktop mode is awesome, always a bit of a frustration on the Fold4.

I knew it was a bit of a risk this phone, I'll drop Honor some suggestions, see what happens.

Soldato
Got Xiaomi 14 today to upgrade from Galaxy S8.
Obviously haven't had much time yet and only been doing basic setting up etc and now getting ready to move data into it.
But so far feels good from physical aspects and such.

From specs I was expecting to be bigger to handle...
But with rather thick edged case in S8 to protect its curved screen vs simpler case in Xiaomi overall dimensions actually didn't even really increase at all...
Except for camera bumb.
So on that it met having looked for "compact" model.

Also battery seems to hold well for having done system update and other things/screen on time.
And performance is far snappier.
Exynos S8 felt like that even installing/updating 20MB app was significant work for it.
In this that size install (after downloading) goes by if you look elsewhere for a second!

Soldato
Got Xiaomi 14 today to upgrade from Galaxy S8.
Obviously haven't had much time yet and only been doing basic setting up etc and now getting ready to move data into it.
But so far feels good from physical aspects and such.

From specs I was expecting to be bigger to handle...
But with rather thick edged case in S8 to protect its curved screen vs simpler case in Xiaomi overall dimensions actually didn't even really increase at all...
Except for camera bumb.
So on that it met having looked for "compact" model.

Also battery seems to hold well for having done system update and other things/screen on time.
And performance is far snappier.
Exynos S8 felt like that even installing/updating 20MB app was significant work for it.
In this that size install (after downloading) goes by if you look elsewhere for a second!

Take some pictures! Do the cameras live up to the hype?

Back
Top Bottom