*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Wow the Archimedes i remember that machine,it was a 32bit RISC based computer if my memory is correct, It reminds me very much of the way the apple Mac is today, Big, Powerful, But hardly anygames on it.

I thought the only game that existed on that was Zarch/Virus which was another Braben game.

Yeah Archimedes definitely looks the best from the 1984 version by along way.

I do hope that They add even more ships this time around and make its so the big ships with big shields can still be killed instead of almost being invincible.

Yep, and then they went on to make the RISC PC as well which held a whole bunch of promise but just didn't have the backing either from a funding perspective nor a developer perspective.

Man of Honour
Reward tiers are a bit basic and quite expensive for very little. I expected better rewards spread through the tiers like a copy of the original at one tier level, 2 elite games at another and all past elite games at another level etc. Posters, maps, sound tracks, tshirts and all sorts.

Agreed seems pretty poor compared to Carmageddon Reincarnation but to be fair Stainless did add more rewards later on after launch.

Not a big kickstarter junkie but I'll probably bung them £20 even though I'm sure it will be a let-down, just on the basis that it is ****ing Elite. The original was, IMO, the best game ever made relative to the release date (in fact you could argue it was probably the best game of the 1980s).

Soldato
With regards to the reward tiers, giving away the original games would be nothing but problematic. Braben can't give away the original Elite due to issues with Ian Bell. Frontier and First Encounters were released a while back as shareware. None of the 3 games would run all that well (if at all) on Windows 7 without mods such as JJFFE. Most people pledging initially will also have played the games to death and will own (or have owned) the games on several platfoms. There would be little point in offering the original games again. You've also got clones such as Oolite which are freely downloadable and look and run better on modern hardware than the originals.

http://www.oolite.org/download.shtml

http://pioneerspacesim.net/

http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresffe.html

http://www.eliteclub.org.uk/jjffe/download.htm

A new novel may be a decent idea, I really liked the Dark Wheel. A full size "Elite" poster would be cool as would a t-shirt, im not all that sure what else would be worthwhile. The Elite icon/wing turned into a badge may be a idea. I personally don't think £20 is a bad price at all for just the game. The soundtrack is just likely to be classical music if Frontier is anything to go by.

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/dkwheel.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
No doubt at all that I'll be backing. I played on the BBC that my cousin had and was jealous.
Then when I got my Spectrum I could play too!!

So, what's the difference between the £20 and £30 pledge (except the obvious £10)?
Both seem to give you the same.

Soldato
A studio this size should be able to secure funding by themselves without needing to resort to these means.

I don't trust studios that want your money first then make the game. They should make the game first and sell it on the quality of their efforts.

Man of Honour
A studio this size should be able to secure funding by themselves without needing to resort to these means.

I don't trust studios that want your money first then make the game. They should make the game first and sell it on the quality of their efforts.

I think the basic premise is they want to use kickstarter to guage if theres enough of a broad interest in the product to put effort into fully developing it (kinda helps if they have a bit more promotional material tho) but also David Braben wants to be able to work outside the box on it without having a publisher calling the shots which usually means being dictated to avoid things that could be commercially disastrous - so higher chance this could all end in tears but also a better chance of pulling off something awesome.

Soldato
OP

I think you overestimate the size of Frontier and their available cashflow. They had a profit last year of just over £1mil which is not a whole lot. They've kinda been existing from one release to another. They just don't have the financials to spend a couple of years developing a game and then walk up to a publisher. Personally I think that £20-£30 is a small risk for what could end up being a fantastic game.

Soldato
I think you overestimate the size of Frontier and their available cashflow. They had a profit last year of just over £1mil which is not a whole lot. They've kinda been existing from one release to another. They just don't have the financials to spend a couple of years developing a game and then walk up to a publisher. Personally I think that £20-£30 is a small risk for what could end up being a fantastic game.

Yep, exactly ... http://companycheck.co.uk/company/02892559 - not the picture of health but 20 quid is hardly a risky investment.

Soldato
Looks like he's aiming to go back to the roots of the original Elite in regards to time management and controls.
I really hope he doesn't limit you to one ship, nothing beat completely selling up and buying something like the Eagle mk3 (or hacking a Hawk for more space :D), sticking a military drive in and going on a hunt!

Soldato
Looks like he's aiming to go back to the roots of the original Elite in regards to time management and controls.
I really hope he doesn't limit you to one ship, nothing beat completely selling up and buying something like the Eagle mk3 (or hacking a Hawk for more space :D), sticking a military drive in and going on a hunt!

I'm hoping that the ability to buy different ships and planetary landings are in the game. I would also like to be able to switch back and forward between previously purchased/upgraded craft.

I'd also quite like the ability to get some sort of player home/station where ships/stock can be stored. Perhaps it could also be used as some sort of guild/club base as well for multiplayer. What I wouldn't want to see is it traveling too far down the Eve or X franchise path.

Last edited:
Soldato

Sorry, Eagle mkIII? Hawk? If it's not a Cobra MkIII, my butt ain't getting in the seat.

By the way, has anyone else had trouble pledging?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I haven't tried yet, waiting till Friday just in case it's sucesfull befor then, but unlikely as its massively slowed down.

Soldato
Hmm seems to have stalled a bit, £322k now which is like 6k in the last four hours? I think they need to seriously start adding to that page, demo video, concept art, anything. Having a quick look around the web seems there are a lot of stallers who are waiting for the finished product or some kind of demo about it being more than vaporware and a lot that are just plain bitter about waiting for successors to Elite and TT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom