*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Caporegime
I'm in, still getting used to it really and working out what the keys all do etc. Managed most of the tutorials but not done a huge amount of combat yet, never mind flight assist off!

Soldato
Bought this, and splitting the cost with my 10yr old kid... He's the one who's going to drop hrs and hrs into it... hopefully..... I'll play it for a few hrs in an attempt to rekindle my youth, but in all honesty, i simply don't have enough time to play the likes of Pacman, let alone these sims that demand hrs of your attention !!

Had to refund my 10yr old his $20 back... :p The controls are a little too complicated for him... There's like a zillion of them just to move the ship around.

Was hoping that cos its on a console as its own game, the controls would be dumbed down enough for a 10yr old.. Maybe they are, and it just seems over complicated. I had to leave for work, but he did get upset, as i was bigging this game up to him last night. Then this morning he was struggling to do anything in it. I think he's going to just go back to Minecraft, which will be a shame.

Soldato
Had to refund my 10yr old his $20 back... :p The controls are a little too complicated for him... There's like a zillion of them just to move the ship around.

I'd suggest stripping it down to basics, pitch, roll, yaw and throttle, everything else can be added over time once he is used to standard flight controls.

Don
As above, in it's simplest form it is no more complicated than a traditional flight sim

Though compared to Minecraft point and click, I guess it's quite different!

Soldato
I'm trying to think back... I probably had my first Speccy and Elite at age 11 or 12..(maybe i was a little older hard to remember what exact yr it came out on the Speccy). We only had one button on that Kempston interface, and had to make do with all those rubber keys to get what we needed... Does anyone remember if it had all those keys in the original ?

Soldato
Oh you wont get me disagreeing, at all. But it still doesn't justify what a lot of people expect for that £40
Actually I DO expect everything that FD have said they'll be doing... I just know not to expect it right away and have had ample notice about it taking a while. ;)

I feel your pain - I'm in almost the exact same situation... except the person throwing a wobbly-rage-quit at my end passed his 50th birthday last month!! :D

Seriously, he's played hours and hours on my Beta access and done fine, but because he's now struggling to conquer the tutorial missions (a couple of which even I have difficulty with), he's refusing to even start up the game.
Kinda annoyed, since I bought it for him!

Associate
Well my partner caved in and brought herself a copy during the steam sale. She attempted to use the 360 controller and proper threw a hissy fit when trying to dock (it was painful)

So for now she's nicked my HOTAS while hers is on order, silly thing though, she never chose quicker shipping - 7 days wait hehe

Soldato
I'm trying to think back... I probably had my first Speccy and Elite at age 11 or 12..(maybe i was a little older hard to remember what exact yr it came out on the Speccy). We only had one button on that Kempston interface, and had to make do with all those rubber keys to get what we needed... Does anyone remember if it had all those keys in the original ?

Nope, the game was pitch, roll and throttle if I remember correctly, there wasn't even any yaw that I remember let alone lateral thrusters. Docking in ED is an absolute doddle in comparison :)

Soldato
Nope, the game was pitch, roll and throttle if I remember correctly, there wasn't even any yaw that I remember let alone lateral thrusters. Docking in ED is an absolute doddle in comparison :)
Especially as you don't have to match rotation except on the really big ships and even then, it's fairly easy!
It's fun to watch the new guys, but even better watching an experienced Warthog user try to dock with an XBone controller... especially when he doesn't know how the controls have been configured!

Soldato
Hehehe, and let us not forget that input devices at the time were predominantly digital in nature, analogue sticks were a massive luxury and I've no idea if elite could even use them. Match rotation was a question of tapping in the required direction just the right amount lol :)

Caporegime
Especially as you don't have to match rotation except on the really big ships and even then, it's fairly easy!
It's fun to watch the new guys, but even better watching an experienced Warthog user try to dock with an XBone controller... especially when he doesn't know how the controls have been configured!

Managed to dock fairly easily, matching the rotation was easy enough in my starting sidewinder.

Soldato
It's a good habit to get into even though the slot is mahoooosive in comparison to the sidewinder as is making sure you enter one way up, red lights to the right, that way you can learn the pad layout easier. A lot of people and AI will enter on the green side too, it's not law though.

Soldato
Well, finally bit the bullet last night and bought me a Cobra, funnily enough when px'ing my Sidewinder in against it they would have also given me just shy of 20k back, perhaps I had spent too much on the Sidey afterall lol..

Kept it anyways and just bought the Cobra outright, stripped out the weapons and a few other bits then chucked a load of cargo space in there and upgraded the FSD, will take it out for a spin later and see what its like..

Soldato
You can abandon cargo which leaves it clean to be picked up without it being marked as stolen :)

cool - didn't know that. In other news I decided to go back to my eagle because the viper isn't nimble enough. More guns yeah and great speed but cant turn for crap. I was getting out turned by a cobra! If I cant get the target in my sights I cant shoot him!

Soldato
Sounds like you need to learn to fight properly, if you cant turn then dont get pulled into a turning fight, use the speed to get out of dodge, turn back on the target and fire as you go past, then fly away, rinse, repeat..

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Crikey they really are deleting post`s left right and center atm.

Have they fixed the repair costs yet and general crazy wear and tear prices ?

Back
Top Bottom