*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Sounds like you need to learn to fight properly, if you cant turn then dont get pulled into a turning fight, use the speed to get out of dodge, turn back on the target and fire as you go past, then fly away, rinse, repeat..
Pffft. fight like a man and get into the turn :p

Soldato
Managed to dock fairly easily, matching the rotation was easy enough in my starting sidewinder.
In ED, it is.
In 1984 Elite, it was a pain in the...!!!
It was so commonly thought thus that one of the recent tie-in novels is called 'Docking Is Difficult' in reference! :D

A lot of people and AI will enter on the green side too, it's not law though.
It's law when the oncoming ship is bigger than you!! :D

Pffft. fight like a man and get into the turn :p
Nah, fight like a hippo and annihilate them!!

Soldato
Sounds like you need to learn to fight properly, if you cant turn then dont get pulled into a turning fight, use the speed to get out of dodge, turn back on the target and fire as you go past, then fly away, rinse, repeat..

Yeah but thats a bit boring no? :D I am a bit crap at combat though...i have this absurd notion that my weapons will do tons more damage the closer i am to their hull.

I think the manoevrability depends on stuff like thrusters and overrall mass as well so possibly thats something i didnt tweak on the Viper.

Soldato
Folks, I got a Saitek X52 which I have been using with this game, but I don't like the cabling (i.e. have to connect the throttle to the joystick. And then the throttle also connects with another cable to USB.

I was thinking of getting the X55 Rhino since it uses two individual USbs which can be more tidier.

Any thoughts on this folks? Is the X55 any much better than the X52?

Associate
Well this was my last Steam sale purchase (along with Project Cars, Witcher 3 and a few others). Just spent the first few hours in the tutorials! Took a while to work out the controls and which would suit but the 360 joypad seems fine with the basic Joypad setting.

Soldato
Folks, I got a Saitek X52 which I have been using with this game, but I don't like the cabling (i.e. have to connect the throttle to the joystick. And then the throttle also connects with another cable to USB.

I was thinking of getting the X55 Rhino since it uses two individual USbs which can be more tidier.

Any thoughts on this folks? Is the X55 any much better than the X52?

No, it's certainly not worth spending out on to re-route a single cable.

Soldato
Like I said. No. I don't see it being worth the outlay, unless you are desperate for more buttons, or a new stick or your is faulty. Cables, one to the pc is fine, the cable between the throttle and stick I just run along behind my keyboard, it'd be marginally clearer with both having separate USB connections but not anything to be concerned over for me.

Soldato
And as a stick compared to the x52. Not much difference?
Based on my friends' experiences - The X55 is of lower quality, poorer design, breaks quite a lot and has more buttons.
Your call, though I'd rather spend a bit more cash and get something that will last decades... which is pretty much what I did!

i have this absurd notion that my weapons will do tons more damage the closer i am to their hull.
Depending on what weapons you're using, that's not necessarily wrong...
Being closer means you're less likely to lose the bead with small movements, so more of your shots will hit and you'll drop the target in less time. More so if you're using gimballed projectile weapons.

I think the manoevrability depends on stuff like thrusters and overrall mass as well so possibly thats something i didnt tweak on the Viper.
That is one side of it, yes.
From what I recall, though it's been a while since I've flown one, the Cobra III has the turning advantage, whereas the Viper is better for high speed strafing runs, or Shoot & Scoot - That's what a lot of the higher-end NPCs still do against me.

Basically: Go head-to-head with your target (or even better, aim to pass them at right angles) speed in to almost within combat range, then slow it down and chuck full power to WEP. Open fire with everything you've got and give them a damn good faceful of firepower. Done right, you'll just about exhaust the WEP capacitor as you come to pass them. Max throttle, ideally just before you pass, so as to give yourself enough acceleration time, then Boost away before they can start to turn toward you. Get some distance, spin round and repeat.
Try different angles for different ships, as those with turrets are more of a PITA...

Back
Top Bottom