***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Soldato
i'm still diving in as long as it can be had for under £550.

for me i WANT a google phone, my S2 is fantastic, and i can understand why S2 owners would not consider upgrading/downgrading (however u view it)

but i hate the fact i need roms/roots/hacks to get my updates timely and to remove software i simple don't want on my phone.

for that reason i wish to get this.

Caporegime
Once again FOR LIKE THE 10TH TIME!!!!!!!

Higher MP number does not mean much better camera automatically, honestly you would think most people on these forums would know that:

iphone 4 5MP = takes very good pics and videos, it is known for that and was the best up till the GS 2

Exactly jim +1 from me!

EDIT:

And another example my old mobile was 5MP and my new one 3.2MP, guess what!? My new mobile takes far better pics than the 5MP. Shock horror! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato

Higher MP number does not mean much better camera automatically, honestly you would think most people on these forums would know that:

iphone 4 5MP = takes very good pics and videos, it is known for that and was the best up till the GS 2

Exactly jim +1 from me!

lol I think he meant the camera design on the back :p

If the camera quality is below that of the SGS2 I'll be disappointed.

And I don't think people are disputing that MP's aren't everything - but people are wondering why they didn't use the same unit as in the SGS2.

Soldato

Exactly jim +1 from me!

EDIT:

And another example my old mobile was 5MP and my new one 3.2MP, guess what!? My new mobile takes far better pics than the 5MP. Shock horror! :eek:

lol, you're not doing yourself any favours by using that example are you?

I'm aware that higher mp doesn't mean better, but there is often a link. Can you name any 3mp phone cameras that are better than any 8mp phone cameras?

Man of Honour
So, after a busy day I've managed to sit down and read through all the guff about this.

It looks to be a great phone. While I'm sure the 5MP camera will be good, not having 8MP is a bizarre omission though I suppose this isn't a phone that is designed to sell in massive numbers (for most people, MP = better), the camera quality isn't massively important on a developer phone.

ICS looks very good and I look forward to trying it.

The screen is the key point of any smartphone really when it comes to the hardware, and this one sounds absolutely brilliant, but I'll believe that when I see it because people were saying the Galaxy S II screen is 'super crisp' for small text and it really isn't.

I'd definitely get one over the Galaxy S II and I wouldn't be too concerned about the internals. Obviously the internals can easily run ICS and there aren't really any demanding games on Android yet, and even then it would handle most of the iOS ones absolutely fine (except the latest ones optimised for the 4S).

I'm a bit worried about what effect the high-res (and screen size itself) will have on the battery, it could be a bit poor.

So, it's nothing massively special, especially given the SGS II will likely have a stable ICS ROM before this phone is even released, but if you prefer 'pure' Android as many people do, then it's a good shout.

I'm also slightly disappointed (though not surprised) by the large amounts of bitching this early in the thread. Wait until people have tested it properly for goodness sake. There are people far too keen to try and condemn it and people who won't see a bad word said against it. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
lol I think he meant the camera design on the back :p

If the camera quality is below that of the SGS2 I'll be disappointed.

And I don't think people are disputing that MP's aren't everything - but people are wondering why they didn't use the same unit as in the SGS2.

Lol it wasn't to him :p It was aimed to the people whining about "oh but only 5MP"

If it is I will also be a bit disappointed as well, how ever we don't know yet, just wait for reviews first and then will judge instead of people just assuming "oh 5MP must suck and be really bad compared to the GS2"

lol, you're not doing yourself any favours by using that example are you?

I'm aware that higher mp doesn't mean better, but there is often a link. Can you name any 3mp phone cameras that are better than any 8mp phone cameras?

Which example?

The iphone 4 one? It is true though, so why is it a bad example?

Going by some peoples logic here it seems that lower MP means crappier quality.

Well generally for starters mobiles with 3MP camera are often the cheaper equivalents compared to 5MP let alone 8MP (which is only for high end handsets), so obviously there aren't going to be many, if any at all 3MP mobiles better than 8MP unless the 8MP mobile is piece of old xxxx and the 3MP is new with a great sensor etc.

TBH I think MRK is the best person to explain this and what else there is apart from MP that help take a good pic.

Also have google and samsung and the specs not show/confirm that the sensor being used is much better than the GS 2, right?

And BTW I said my 3MP is better than my old mobile which is 5MP.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The difference between the iPhone 4 camera and Galaxy S II camera is actually pretty small.

In real world use you won't really notice the difference most of the time (believe me, I've tried).

Man of Honour
Which example?

Going by some peoples logic here it seems that lower MP means crap quality.

It's a bad example because the iphone 4S has an 8MP camera and is better than the 5MP camera found in the iphone 4.

But yes you are correct, we should not jump to conclusions about the camera being 'poor'. There were rumours weeks ago about a 5MP camera in the 'Prime' with a larger better sensor, the first part has been proven true we are yet to find out about the sensor.

Anyway, not long to find out.

Caporegime
Yup I know although the recording on GS 2 is much better.

As I said the iphone 4 even with "only 5MP" camera is still one of the best mobiles for that, 3rd best, 1st being the GS 2 and 2nd is the 4s IMO and how old is the iphone 4 now?

Hmm, just thinking isn't there a nokia xxx something that is better than both for just taking pics?

EDIT:

Forgot about the 4s :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm also slightly disappointed (though not surprised) by the large amounts of bitching this early in the thread. Wait until people have tested it properly for goodness sake. There are people far too keen to try and condemn it and people who won't see a bad word said against it. :rolleyes:

Exactly, I'm waiting for proper reviews before falling for the hype/falling into disappointment yet.

Just appeared on Clove for £514.80:

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-nexus-16gb

So probably means we will see it for around £480ish.

Saw £429.00 and was like OMFGBUYBUYBUYDERP for a second there.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's a bad example because the iphone 4S has an 8MP camera and is better than the 5MP camera found in the iphone 4.

But yes you are correct, we should not jump to conclusions about the camera being 'poor'. There were rumours weeks ago about a 5MP camera in the 'Prime' with a larger better sensor, the first part has been proven true we are yet to find out about the sensor.

Anyway, not long to find out.

Well IMO I think the GS 2 camera/recording is better than the 4s especially the video recording, but there really is a very small difference though.

And I wouldn't say the difference for photos between the 4 and 4s is massive either IMO.

Going by logic here, you would expect the pics etc. to be much better!!!!!!!!! :p

Associate
The screen sells it for me, it looks utterly gorgeous. I want to move on from ios and must admit apples retina screen is awesome, however I feel its a tad too small for my liking. This phone looks awesome, I can live without an SD slot, the camera will be fine for what I need it to do. Anything else i've got a dslr. Ice cream sandwich looks very polished and I love the new font, looks like google are stepping it up a notch. Never a bad thing. :)

Soldato
Which example?

just made me lol how you said the iphone 4's 5mp was the best camera until the sgs2's 8mp camera came along:p

Of course we shouldn't assume a better camera is only due to mp rating but you cannot deny there is often a link between better cameras and higher mp ratings.

Caporegime
Why?

It is better, however not by a lot for photos as robbo said and again how old is the iphone 4 and how new is the GS 2?

It is not solely better just cause of the higher MP.

Back
Top Bottom