***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
I’m also interested in guitar #2 made with the leftovers and I’m also really interested if I can make a true temperament fretboard (wiggly frets). The down side is that you have to cut the frets rather than use fret wire and then make fretslots to match them precisely. Stainless steel would mean milling rather than a cnc router. I could print out, stick to the steel and then use an old drill press at low speed with a makeshift fluid flow system to cool it.
That would be a telecaster style, leftover laminate bolton neck with 25.5 scale true temperament :D

Food for thought once I’ve finished the build.

Current tune being learnt: https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/keith-merow-heart-of-sea-nymph-tab-s516084

Modes: https://youtu.be/juQVAFsdFMQ?feature=shared

Ta for posting that song- i'd never heard it befire, but it's a killer riff.

Soldato
I require a pedal PSU, what are people using?

I have a Williams Audio classic MK2 Fuzz which requires a reverse polarity 9v (assuming this is centre positive), a couple of bog standard 9v pedals and an old DOD pedal which needs a 10v DC centre negative which should be ok on 9v but it has a strange input so not sure on that.

Need some spare capacity and each output needs to be isolated. Quite like the look of the true tone 1 spot pro cs12 and the Fender Engine Room, the true tone I think has a 9v battery connector which might be a shout for the DOD i couldn't get a cable to fit it.

What have you people got?

Caporegime
I require a pedal PSU, what are people using?

I have a Williams Audio classic MK2 Fuzz which requires a reverse polarity 9v (assuming this is centre positive), a couple of bog standard 9v pedals and an old DOD pedal which needs a 10v DC centre negative which should be ok on 9v but it has a strange input so not sure on that.

Need some spare capacity and each output needs to be isolated. Quite like the look of the true tone 1 spot pro cs12 and the Fender Engine Room, the true tone I think has a 9v battery connector which might be a shout for the DOD i couldn't get a cable to fit it.

What have you people got?

Fan of Cioks stuff, I have the DC7, DC10 and Ciokolate.

DC7 is like Engine room but smaller, fits under a pedal train, 7 ports all 660mha, all adjustable outputs.

93WJsWP.jpg

For reverser polarity, you can just use the cable, but I think it comes with it, if not, it's £3

If you check What's in the Box, it's the
  • Standard Flex type 2 – red with 5,5/2,1mm centre positive DC plug x1

Last edited:
Soldato
Oookay.. here's an update - still have some additional carving but there's a lot of carving, cut the height of the top wing down etc. Now I still need to sort out some of the carving, some of the other bits and frets etc... but for now:

hQq6NXz.jpg

Soldato
Brought my old Art & Luthrie Cedar accoustic down from the loft - I thought I would teach the Mrs Shape of You by Ed Sheeran as she's asked about it before.

It gets a little hot up there in summer and it now needs some work
* frets and fretboard needs a clean and polish
* needs the crusty old strings replaced
* the bridge needs sticking back on due to the heat.. I can see the pegs under it (oh look I have glue(s) include hide glue)
* the bass side of the fretboard is straight as a you'd want but the treble side - just about the point it meets the body is warped to the eye
* the truss rod and action needs attention
* the scratch pad has slid about a millimetre towards the bridge. Got hot obviously..

It feels like a toy after the 7 string (closer to 8 string) and thick necked new guitar (34mm thick which works for me)!

I thought I may have some strings in the old strat case.. nope - just some slinkies for the strat. The stat feels even more like a kids guitar as it has a really thin neck (20mm) but the same string spacing at the 7string.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just tried to teach the Mrs some Ed Sheeran, in this case the four chords - D G Em and C. She has difficulty with hand spanning.. so i think some more exercises due I think.

Soldato
Just tried to teach the Mrs some Ed Sheeran, in this case the four chords - D G Em and C. She has difficulty with hand spanning.. so i think some more exercises due I think.

People really struggle with chords in my experience. How about trying power chords and then have her work one at a time on the barre chords?

D and C can be a real pain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Almost finished for a while. I just want to play it as I've missed it when trying to play the strat and accoustic.

There's a little string-neck alignment and the nut needs adjusting but as long as it plays right.

CgB0uuB.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Dup
Soldato
Bah... coming for support

I saw a guitar I have been lusting after for as long as I remember come up on Reverb, did not buy it immediately as I was trying to decide if I could justify it and then it got snapped up by another buyer before I talked myself into it :(

Won't see another one of those for ages

Edit: this one - very much a guitar which is not everyone's cup of tea but I like it a lot. I know they announced new models of it at this year's NAMM but imho the new ones don't have the mojo of this particular one and I see them pop up second hand so rarely; kicking myself for not instantly grabbing it
ibanez-iceman-ic520.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah an Iceman :D but this is the 2014 X-Series IC520 which were discontinued ages ago and were never super popular due to being quite a divisive so kind of rare! One popped up on Reverb in Poland for an okay price and I was so tempted to grab it but waited too long deliberating. It has got me thinking though about the new models which came out this year at NAMM, especially now that I watched some reviews of them and they seem absurdly good quality for the price - I quite like the blue one. Although I would want to remove the pickup covers because I much prefer them open

p_region_IC420_ABM_4L_01.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom