Poll: *** The official M3 MacBook Pro thread (it has the M3 chip, is available in Space Black and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an M3 MacBook Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 64.6%

• Total voters
Associate

Apple MacBook Pro, Apple M3 Max Chip 16-Core CPU, 40-Core GPU, 48GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 16 Inch Space Black - £3649​

Apple MacBook Pro, Apple M3 Max Chip 14-Core CPU, 30-Core GPU, 36GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 16 Inch, Space Black £3199​

Apple MacBook Pro, Apple M3 Max Chip 14-Core CPU, 30-Core GPU, 36GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 16 Inch, Space Black £3149.​

Space Black is stunning, I have it and really like it. It’s stellar.

Last edited:
Associate

Apple MacBook Pro, Apple M3 Max Chip 16-Core CPU, 40-Core GPU, 48GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 16 Inch Space Black - £3649​

Apple MacBook Pro, Apple M3 Max Chip 14-Core CPU, 30-Core GPU, 36GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 16 Inch, Space Black £3199​

Apple MacBook Pro, Apple M3 Max Chip 14-Core CPU, 30-Core GPU, 36GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 16 Inch, Space Black £3149.​

Space Black is stunning, I have it and really like it. It’s stellar.

These are the costco prices?

Soldato
I now have a 16 M3 max (12P4E/48GB) and a 14" M3 max (10P/4E/36GB) if anyone has any questions.

Main thoughts are I can't readily feel any performance difference between the two in day to day stuff except when running stuff in FCPX and Lightroom - when they're both exporting the 16 I can carry on doing other stuff easily, not so much on the 14. Also, the fans on the 14" kick in a lot earlier and more often than the 16.

If I had to buy one of them with my own money I'd go for the 14" tbh, the 16" is such a beast to carry it rarely leaves my desk.

Associate
If I had to buy one of them with my own money I'd go for the 14" tbh, the 16" is such a beast to carry it rarely leaves my desk.

When I picked up my 14 Pro M3 Pro from local Apple Store the other week, the lass that served me said the gaffer hates his 16 Max, and they're awkward in the store to put in the bags they give customers, tight fit, ripping bags etc... first world problems eh?!

Associate
2 months in owning my base model M3 Pro MBP 16 and it's easily the best piece of tech I've had the priviiege of using the battery just never dies it's amazing it puts my work windows laptop to shame!

Soldato
I now have a 16 M3 max (12P4E/48GB) and a 14" M3 max (10P/4E/36GB) if anyone has any questions.

Main thoughts are I can't readily feel any performance difference between the two in day to day stuff except when running stuff in FCPX and Lightroom - when they're both exporting the 16 I can carry on doing other stuff easily, not so much on the 14. Also, the fans on the 14" kick in a lot earlier and more often than the 16.

Did you ever have an old 15" MBP or an even older 17" MBP? If so, how do the new laptops compare?

I loved my 2008 17" MBP. And while I got used to my 2015 15" MBP, I always missed the extra screen size from the 17".

It seems everything I read online agrees with you that the current 16" is too big and the 14" is the one to go for, but I'm concerned that it's yet another step down in screen real estate (plus the multi-tasking and fan noise you mentioned).

I should probably visit an Apple store with my current 15" and compare them all side-by-side, but I'm struggling to find the time and inclination.

Soldato
When I picked up my 14 Pro M3 Pro from local Apple Store the other week, the lass that served me said the gaffer hates his 16 Max, and they're awkward in the store to put in the bags they give customers, tight fit, ripping bags etc... first world problems eh?!

Doesn't surprise me! I only go to site maybe a day or so a week, and even that's only a 15 minute walk from home. The 16" adds a chunk of mass to my backpack, annoyingly so. First world problem, 100%! I also have a client Lenovo in my bag too so that doesn't help.

I can't imagine using the 16" if I moved between sites like I used to - that would get old very quickly.

Soldato
Did you ever have an old 15" MBP or an even older 17" MBP? If so, how do the new laptops compare?

I loved my 2008 17" MBP. And while I got used to my 2015 15" MBP, I always missed the extra screen size from the 17".

It seems everything I read online agrees with you that the current 16" is too big and the 14" is the one to go for, but I'm concerned that it's yet another step down in screen real estate (plus the multi-tasking and fan noise you mentioned).

I should probably visit an Apple store with my current 15" and compare them all side-by-side, but I'm struggling to find the time and inclination.

I'm fortunate enough to pretty much get my hands on every generation for probably back to 2008 and the original poly ones. The 17" one was definitely one of my favorites - fab screen for the time, and the combination of an SSD & a spinning drive (replacing the DVD) was incredibly useful. Big machine, but I don't remember it feeling as bulk as the 16 - but then memory may change such things. EDITed to add, it was only a 1080 screen though wasn't it? 1920x1200.

I think if I had to only use the laptop screen when I go to our offices I think you're probably right, and I'd make more of an effort to take the 16. Fortunately we have twin 4k something or others in the office that work well enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom