***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
Looking for some, probably basic, advice please.

I'm looking to pick up a DE razor. Fed up of using cartridges, I've fairly sensitive skin and they cause some mild irritation.

Other than a DE razor, what else do I need to pick up? I was looking at a shaving stick, brush and probably an alum block for post shaving. I'll pick up a sample pack of blades to test.

This might sound stupid but is it recommended to get a stand for the razor/brush to stand and drain on or are they purely decorative?

Lastly is the traditional shaving company a good place to buy from?

like you i have very sensitive skin add to that i'm a diabetic and on blood thinners skin irritation or nicks can be a real pain in the ass

this is what i use, but remember everyone is different.

yes i use a stand. stuck on a wall as i like to shave in the shower so it keep my brush up high out of the way.
for a brush i use a super badger brush sorry i just don't get on well with Synthetic

soap i use Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap, tried many soaps found this is the best for me and they way i like to shave

used the Merkur 34c hd for years with feather blades. it work for me but i had to be careful with the way i used it else i end up with skin irritation. switched to a Henson al13 mild about 6 months ago, and it changed the way i shave, i've never had any skin irritation or nicks with it, i'm a lot more relaxed with how i shave. it about twice the price of the 34c but i think it worth it

use to use a alum block all the time, but now i don't since i swapped shaver

i use Feather blades they just work for me

Soldato
Hidden budget gem in my opinion ( like everything price has risen in recent years but is still good value IMO )

Cella Crema da Barba - Almond Shaving Cream​

Soldato
I'm looking to get a DE Razor, I get on fine with cheap disposable ones, but the Mrs and teenage kid keep ******* using them (even though I tell them I'll buy them whatever one the want) no they just keep using mine which really ***** me off, because I have quite fine hair and shave in the shower, even a cheap disposable will last me ages, but I know they been using it when I go to us it after only using it once before and it's taking chunks of my face off and not the hair!

..... anyway rant over...breath.....

Looking online, I can see the Merkur ones are recommended here, are they worth paying the £35 quid over say a Gillette or generic brand that can be had for half/third of the price?

Any recommendations on which blades to get?

Soldato
I bought a Merkur 34c several years ago and it's still as good as the day I bought it. Blades can be a personal choice, probably try one of the sample variety packs you can get and pick the ones you like. I've always stuck to Astra's.

Associate
The standard quality starter razor is the Mekur 34C

Out of stock here it seems, but prices at Connaught usually competitive.

An Edwin Jagger would be an alternative

Or a Muhle R89 (NOT an R41 which is very aggressive)

Some men like to pay a bit more for a model with a longer handle, but you won't know your preference yet!

Blades are a very personal choice and can make an amazing difference to the shave. You MUST buy a sampler pack to find what suits you.

Though Boots own brand DE blade used to be a good general use blade ,and the Gillette Silver Blue you may easily find.

If you spend more than £50 at Connaught try the discount code TSR50

Make sure you have a good lathering technique when using a DE razor, preferably with a trad soap or cream and with a brush.

There are a great many You Tube tutorials eg

Soldato
This is really good advice, I started 10 years ago with a Muhle R89 and still use it regularly despite having several other handles now.

Try Shaving Shack as well as Connaught as both are good and have sales on, be careful buying blades from Amazon though as I got some Feather blades that I’m sure were fake as they were rough as hell but I got some others from Shaving Shack and they leave me with a face as smooth as a baby’s posterior

Associate
**SOS**

Need some help guys!

I rarely encounter problems nowadays shaving, though recently I have moved into a new works accommodation where I spend a few nights a week and it has very hard water. To the point it dries my skin out completely. I don't get a as close a shave, and i'm always coming out with razor bumps. ( i currently use Astra blades and whatever scented ToOBS cream I have stocked up and have used the same regime for 8 years. When I shave at home, absolutely no issues. Though i'm, really not having an enjoyable shave, shaving is compulsory at work.

Anyone have product recommendations or rituals to mitigate against horrible calcy water?

Soldato
Somehow lost both my Merkur DE (bought around 8 years ago, maybe 24C?) and Futur clone. One in the process of moving house, and the other somehow recently.

Never considered open comb before but thought it was a good way to go for a closer shave, have been getting by with a shavette in the mean time so I figure I can handle the extra aggression.

15C arrived today and going to try it out tonight. Only 22 quid, seems like an absolute bargain.

Associate
The 15C is indeed an open comb but judged to be mild. Aggressiveness is as much to do with angles as with head type.

Open comb razors were popular when working men did not shave every day as they were thought to handle long stubble better. It is now fashionable not to shave every day. That is one of the reasons for the increase in interest in open comb razors - aggressive or not.

I look forward to your next post - tell us how you got on with the 15C

Soldato
The 15C is indeed an open comb but judged to be mild. Aggressiveness is as much to do with angles as with head type.

Open comb razors were popular when working men did not shave every day as they were thought to handle long stubble better. It is now fashionable not to shave every day. That is one of the reasons for the increase in interest in open comb razors - aggressive or not.

I look forward to your next post - tell us how you got on with the 15C
Oh damn. Didn't get around to shaving yet so can't report back.

But this makes me definitely want to return the 15C. Sounds like my research definitely didn't go deep enough, I just read a few advice pages which said open comb = more aggressive and took that as read.

Now quite tempted by the R41...

Looked it up and it was a Merkur 33C I had before, which I would describe as very easy to use. Any idea how that rates on the aggression scale compared to others? My Futur clone (which was I think a Qshave) on setting 3 (1-5) felt like I had to be very careful, and didn't seem to really get any closer than the 33C. Don't know if that was just because it wasn't a particularly good razor though.

I guess I'd be after something a tad more aggressive than the 33C, and ideally open comb as I often shave with a few days growth at least.

Associate
The Merkur 33 and 34 (same head) are middle ranking along with the r89.

The R41 is one of the most aggressive razors on the market. I have one and used nothing else for quite a few years but have gone back to my Merkur Slant which does the job as well but is more forgiving on the skin.

The Merkur 33/34 and Slant, although supposedly safety bar rather than open comb, have slotted bars which must surely cope with longer stubble well. My Slant copes well with three or four days growth.

I have a Futur Clone which I open right up to 9 and use a Feather Blade - I always use a Feather.

I also have a vintage Slim Adjustable which I use opened up to 9.

If you are happy with the Futur half open that suggests you don't need extreme aggression.

You could try an adjustable.

Maybe try the Braveheart

See panel on the right.

It claims to be a little more aggressive than the 33/34 or the r89 - but not as aggressive as the r41

Good luck

Soldato
Thanks that's really useful info.

I often like to shave in the shower (no mirror), which thinking about it does call for something not very aggressive. So I'll try the 15C tonight and if it's good enough for daily usage great, if not I'll keep it as a shower razor and look for something more deadly.

Associate
If you like the 15C handle add the Braveheard Head as an option. You can buy the R41 head by itself.

Good luck

Reactions: UXB
Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions a few posts above, I went for the Merkur 34c and works fine.

A little on the small side it's a bit dinky in your hand but getting on fine.

Tried the blade it came with, Astra and Feather blades so far.

Getting on fine with Feather, Astra's are fine but found a little rough first shave or two until they "settled down".

I'm getting really good mileage out of the blades though, started using it early August and I'm only on my 4th blade in total.

I have subsequently discovered Astra blades are made in Russia, so I won't be buying those again.

I read somewhere there is a shortage of razer blades. Was looking for Feather blades on Amazon and couldn't find any.

A lot of the variety packs all seem sold out as well. Although some brands, Derby for example are available and cheap as chips.

Associate
The 38C is the long and heavy handled version of the 34C. I prefer the longer and heavier handle. All down to personal taste.

Connaught seem to have a good stock of blades.

Soldato
Connaught seem to have a good stock of blades.

Ok thanks.

I had been checking Connaughts last few weeks a lot of the sample pack bundles were sold out but can see they have stock now, I have ordered one the 75 pack bundles, at the rate I go through blades that'll probably last me more than 5 years.

I will say, aside from a bit of an upfront cost, its much cheaper to shave this way, I used to use cheap disposable razords, and MUCH better for the environment, the amount of plastic packaging it will save, I wish I had switched over years ago. I also get on fine with cheap shaving foam.

I find it funny how something that is cheaper and better for the envirment doesn't seem to be well advertised.....until seeing this thread a while back I had not even heard of double edged razors. Shame really.

Soldato
34c is excellent but yes the handle is short, I dont really have an issue with it though.

Derby are cheap for a reason, just my opinion but they are only good for the bin, others disagree though.

I dont know how much of the below is correct but the ones listed look like they are all made in Russia according to a site I found a while back.
  • Astra Superior Platinum & Stainless
  • Ladas Super Stainless
  • Rapira Chrome Stainless
  • Rapira Lux
  • Sputnik Teflon Coated
  • Voskhod Teflon Coated
  • Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Gillette Nacet
  • Gillette 7 O’Clock
  • PolSilver Super Iridium
  • Perma-Sharp Super (and half-blades)
I think I've used pretty much every one in the list apart from the Voskhod and possibly the ladas ones....I may have tried them but cant remember lol.

This way is cheaper in the long run, unless like most of us here you go and try every foam and blade under the sun, not so cheap but it actually makes a pretty boring "job" a little bit of fun for a while.

Back
Top Bottom