***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
if anyone is wanting to venture into an open combed aggresive razor then i am selling my muhle r41. This is well known amongst DE shavers as one of the closest shaves possible. Please see the pic you will get all what you see and im just looking for 30 pounds posted with all this extra stuff. I have a few open combs so this is surplus to requirements.

Associate
30 mate.the razor alone is 25 pounds, ive only used it about 6 times. comes with 30 of the best blades ive found in my years of de shaving, an arko stick lasts a few years. and theres some post shave cream and a budget brush unused

Last edited:
Soldato
hey guys. just ordering some new cologne... i saw this advertised on ebay, for 49 pounds. but something doesn't seem right, as everywhere else, 50ml of this cologne costs around 65 pounds. 49 quid for 100ml doesn't seem legit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penhaligo..._Fragrances_Aftershave_PP&hash=item35d2bd9d89

“The item is BRAND NEW and UNUSED however, it will not be in its original box but will be carefully wrapped in Penhaligon's tissue paper.”

is this to good to be true?

Soldato
Soldato
ah i see. even though they only have the 100ml? ahh.. i don't think i'll risk it. i'd rather pay a little more knowing that the product is 100% genuine.

Soldato
Caporegime
Not close enough!

Hi guys

After about a week of shaving with my Merkur 34C, I'm really enjoying the experience but my beard is quite tough around my chin and I'm finding it doesn't get quite close enough. I've gone straight into using Feather blades.

I have only nicked myself about three times, and very minor nicks they were too, so I'm already *fairly* comfortable with my technique.

Is my best bet to get a more aggressive razor? Or is it too soon for that and it's more likely that my blade angle is wrong? Or should I start exerting the tiniest bit of pressure in the difficult areas?

Don't get me wrong, three passes and most of my face is very smooth. However there are a few areas that are still rough after three passes and I feel that this shouldn't be the case, as I have to go back over them with a sort of shuffling action (which I read about in a YouTube video!).

One thing I have done is buy a fog free mirror for the shower, which should then allow me a spare hand to stretch my skin more as I currently do this by contorting my face into ridiculous gurning poses. I shave in the shower but need a spare hand to hold the shower head, to clear the mirror of fog every few strokes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Try a 4th pass and if you feel confident, exert some pressure on your chin. I've done that before though and gone on to cut myself. Slightest too much pressure and you're going to cut.

Caporegime
Cheers.

Getting some really close shaves now. If I prep my skin properly I can get a really close one with two pases (with and against) by using a tiny bit more pressure, stretching the skin, and buffing rough bits at the end.

Ordered an alum block and the main benefit I'm finding so far is that it's an amazing help when stretching the skin!

Here are my three Palmolive lather methods:

cAR4euP.jpg

Left to right:

- Shave cream, £1.80 from Tesco. I apply directly to a wet brush and lather on my face. Every brush stroke in a shave bowl is a brush stroke wasted imo, a stroke that could be exfoliating your face and getting the soap right under those hairs!

- Shave stick, 50p from Tesco, squished into a food container. I've since read about grating these so they're easier to compress. I'll try that next time!

- Shave stick again. Apply the wet stick directly to your prepared face, then lather on face with a brush. This is my favourite method so far because it seems to create the best lather and really grinds the soap into your face.

Next on the list: a proper shave brush, as I'm using an old badger and bristle from Crabtree & Evelyn that's not got much life left in it. It's lost a lot of hair and what hairs are left are very short and a bit stiff.

I also want to get a shave stick holder that rotates and pushes the stick out then retracts it again. This would make it easier for travelling too. Any ideas where I get get them?

And possibly my favourite shaving accessory, a fog free shaving mirror from Amazon:

JuVc5ECl.jpg

£18 but it works so well.

The Feather blades are working really well for me so far. Very sharp but very few nicks, which is lucky, as I went straight ahead and bought 100 of them after reading about their magical properties :p. Not had a single (what I would call) a cut yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I find that lathering up in a bowl is better for me. I lather in a bowl for a good minute to make decent creamy lather, get rid of all the bubbles in there and really work it. I can't do that so well on my face and I find a decent lather is key.

Feathers are the best for me too.

Back
Top Bottom