***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
I'm really enjoying the experience but my beard is quite tough around my chin and I'm finding it doesn't get quite close enough.

Is my best bet to get a more aggressive razor? Or is it too soon for that and it's more likely that my blade angle is wrong? Or should I start exerting the tiniest bit of pressure in the difficult areas?

Don't get me wrong, three passes and most of my face is very smooth. However there are a few areas that are still rough after three passes and I feel that this shouldn't be the case, as I have to go back over them with a sort of shuffling action (which I read about in a YouTube video!).

I've no idea about the products you've used other than the Palmolive stuff, so sorry if you've already tried what I'm about to write.

I find that I'm a lot more confident during against-the-grain passes if I have popped a shaving oil on first. It just adds that extra layer of lubrication. You can get them cheap, too (around a pound). Also, have you used any of the better shaving creams? I like the Palmolive products, but have found St. James of London, Truefitt & Hill (currently on sale), and above allow me to be bolder with the blade.

This all means that I can apply some pressure, and even go back and forth over troublesome spots. If in doubt, use short strokes.

Caporegime
something like this mate? its perfect for arko sticks etc

Exactly that! What is it called and where did you get it please? :D

I find that I'm a lot more confident during against-the-grain passes if I have popped a shaving oil on first. It just adds that extra layer of lubrication. You can get them cheap, too (around a pound). Also, have you used any of the better shaving creams? I like the Palmolive products, but have found St. James of London, Truefitt & Hill (currently on sale), and above allow me to be bolder with the blade.

This all means that I can apply some pressure, and even go back and forth over troublesome spots. If in doubt, use short strokes.

Thanks for that. I might treat myself to a better cream at some point then. Didn't know the oils were so cheap.

I think I'm still at the stage where I'll get the best results by improving my technique, as I've only been doing this for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Soldato
No problem! There's Nuage (with a handy pump) and 4Men which I'm sure were both around £1. Nuage was from Superdrug, I think, and 4Men was from Wilkinson's - if you can stand the dirty prols. ;)

I also have King of Shaves oil (Tesco), which is about £3, but I haven't noticed any advantage over the cheaper things besides a prettier colour. Some people don't like oils as they gunk up your blade a little, but it's one of those classic DE shaving things: you just gotta try it all and keep the stuff that works for you.

Associate
Exactly that! What is it called and where did you get it please? :D

Thanks for that. I might treat myself to a better cream at some point then. Didn't know the oils were so cheap.

I think I'm still at the stage where I'll get the best results by improving my technique, as I've only been doing this for a few weeks.

i got a few of them from the states mate last year when i first got into shaving properly etc, ** no trading outside MM **

Caporegime
What gives the closest shave is an interesting question, and one I see tackled surprisingly rarely in discussions reviewing the various shaving methods. People always seem more concerned with difficultly and propensity to cut, whereas I am mainly interested in what will theoretically give the closest possible shave assuming a high level of skill.

From reading around, some people say that a straight razor gives the closest but must be maintained impeccably. Some day shavette, as the blades are very sharp and require no skill from the shaver to maintain this sharpness.

Others say a de razor gives as good a shave as either if you have an aggressive enough razor.

I can't find concensus on what gives the closest shave all other things being equal. One thing that does come up is that if you want to use a shavette, it's very unforgiving and a long learning process to get anything useful in speed terms.

dod

dod

Soldato
Interesting day. Was coming home and was going past Castle Forbes so popped in. Met the Lord himself, got some products and they're far better value obtained direct than they are online. Apparently they have no official online distribution so anything online is "grey".

Picked up a 200ml Lavender shaving cream, 1445 after shave and balm for £50 all in :) And got invited into the Castle :p

Soldato
Just thought i would pop back in after a good while with my slant razor. After using shaving shacks Israeli made blades exclusively for the past god knows how many months i ran out, the only blades i had to hand being feathers i set forth.... Oh how i forgot the harshness these have.
Needless to say i went ahead and ordered some green derby to try along with some Mitchels wool fat. I have heard great things about this shave soap saying that it has great post shave property's as well as being excellent at softening the skin and beard.

Any one else tried this soap?

Soldato
A friend went to London the other week and picked me up some Taylors Luxury Shave Cream, jesus I thought (and loved) Proraso Sensitive but this stuff is much better, I recommend this to anyone and everyone.

He's going again in a few weeks so is going to pick me a Jermyn Street & an Avocado up.

Man of Honour
Heard a lpt of good things about MWF soap, I've still got 1 and a half pucks of Dr Harris soap and a tub of TOBS cream to work through before I buy any more.

Looking through the bathroom cupboards a couple of weeks ago and found a 1970 Gillette Super Adjustable, by god its a good razor. It's in another league compared to my DE89, paired with a feather even a weeks growth and it's a buttery smooth shave with no irritation even on its most aggressive setting.

Associate
Does anyone here regularly shave with an electric razor, but their head rather than their chin?

I have a clippers and usually just let my hair grow a bit then clip it off, but I'm feeling I'd rather just keep it short and the clippers are a bit fiddly with head stubble. I have a Merkur open comb razor but also don't fancy wet shaving my head all the time either.

I figured a Phillips razor might be best because of the curvature and circular motions you might use when shaving your head, however I don't want to spend a fortune and just wondered how anyone else tackled the upkeep of their chrome dome?

Caporegime
Best i have found so far is palmolive stick from the local supermarket, can be picked up as low as 50p, Great when my face is feeling particularly tender.

Ditto. Tesco and Morrisons sell them for 50p and so far it's the nicest I've found for razor glide. Only thing is it doesn't smell special, it just smells of soap.

I like being able to grind the soap into my face and it's also very quick and convenient to apply and lather, even on the face. Only thing is, use plenty of water or it dries out.

jcr

jcr

Associate
Anyone got recommendations on cream/soap for sensitive skin? I'm currently using a Merkur 38C with Treet blades and a badger brush for applying.

Thanks.

Mitchell's wool fat soap. Great stuff. And for cream the body shops maca root shaving cream. You can't go wrong with either product.

Soldato
Best i have found so far is palmolive stick from the local supermarket, can be picked up as low as 50p, Great when my face is feeling particularly tender.

Ditto. Tesco and Morrisons sell them for 50p and so far it's the nicest I've found for razor glide. Only thing is it doesn't smell special, it just smells of soap.

I like being able to grind the soap into my face and it's also very quick and convenient to apply and lather, even on the face. Only thing is, use plenty of water or it dries out.

Mitchell's wool fat soap. Great stuff. And for cream the body shops maca root shaving cream. You can't go wrong with either product.

I was looking at the Mitchell's wool fat, I'll check that out and for the princely sum of 50p I'll try the palmolive too! Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom