***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Commissario
Arko gives a good shave but you end up smelling like a public urinal. I only use it every few months as I can't stand the smell. I know it's bad but I sort of forget how bad it is until I use it again.

Soldato
Arko gives a good shave but you end up smelling like a public urinal. I only use it every few months as I can't stand the smell. I know it's bad but I sort of forget how bad it is until I use it again.

LOL it does smell rough but gives a good shave, I also rate Bodyshop's Maca Root shaving cream.

Associate
Thought I'd drop in a quick thank you to all those with suggestions in this thread. I picked up plenty of advice, tips and, of course, product.

I got my DE89L for Christmas and have been on the DE train ever since. Still a new boy, but not sure you could tell that from the bathroom -- tis littered with stuff.

Anyway, cheers all.

Soldato

I loved the scent at first, but then another website mentioned that it smelt like a urinal cake, and now I can't get it out of my head!

Soldato
Thought i would report back on the wool fat.

Had one shave with it along with the derby extra blades. The wool fat soap is fantastic, not cheap but the glide and feel of the soap is second to none. Found it tricky getting a good lather but when it hits it is thick and creamy but is so sensitive to moisture, within seconds it can just wash away to nothing. Worth all the effort though as the post shave feeling is great, soft smooth skin that feels hydrated and fresh.

The Derbys. Strange with these, they feel almost blunt on the face but return a good shave. Wierd thing is with my limited knowledge of blades i don't know if this is an attractive feature in a blade, some short and long growth shaves will let me know how good they are. My ultimate goal is to find a soap and blade that can return a good shave with a short stiff stubble, 2 days of growth abouts. Daily shaves are something of a pipe dream im afraid.

Associate
Just ordered:

Edwin Jagger Double Edge Razor DE89L + 15 Derby Blades
30x Feather Hi-Stainless Double Edged Razor Blades
The Bluebeards Revenge Post Shave Balm (100ml)
The Bluebeards Revenge Luxury Shaving Cream (100ml)
Alum Block

The balm and cream are expensive, but I wanted to try it :p. I already have Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream and Nivea Post Shave Balm, but wanted to try something different. Just need a good, cheap badger brush. I have one my dad gave me, but don't know how it compares too ones from the likes of Edwin Jagger.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Send em my way? Loving my Feathers, even though I've not tried anything else!

Shavettes

This is pretty much the safety razor thread from what I can see, but has anyone braved a shavette or a straight razor? As much as I like my safety, I have really tough stubble (yet baby-fine head hair - go figure) and fancy dabbling in the world of ultimate control. However I don't fancy the hassle of stropping and honing, so I'm thinking that learning how to use a shavette would be a good skill to learn.

Thoughts? They're not exactly expensive, and I have the blades already.

Soldato
trust me your address mate and they are yours.

Love my shavette, it is a tricky ordeal on some of the more awkward areas of my face and i only really use it as something a little different now and again, as you say though they cost peanuts and the blades are no extra cost.
100d5161-e0f2-433c-8af5-553b02379165_zps3fbc30e2.jpg

Soldato
I bought the Bluebeards Revenge shavette and am struggling, watched a video on youtube and thought sod it I'm going for it, face looked like Freddy Kreugers on one side :(

Been trying little areas but still struggling to get the hang of it, missus can do the back of my neck a treat though so she may have to do my face from now on!

Soldato
With the shavette the sides of my face and neck are a doddle, my chin with its dimple and underneath and my top lip are sketchy, you need to focus on stretching areas on to flat sections of your jaw, if you don't have very movable skin it becomes a challenge.

Multiple passes are not an option with these they are a must!

Soldato
Good morning.

After a short break I am ready to give this another go and I was hoping for some more advice.

I have the Muhle R89 closed comb and the R41 Grande open comb. Would anyone recommend me a different razor or are these two that good that I should be having a great shave with these and it is my technique or something else?

On the blades front I have tried most blades except feathers. I wonder if it is time to try feathers?

I have several creams etc on hand

My previous results left me patchy in places and irritated and raw. What annoyed me most was that I was telling a friend in work who then bought a wilko plastic de shaver and came in the next day with a face smoother than glass. grrr

Associate
I have been de shaving for a couple years now and tried everything. The simple best setup for me is wilkinsons shave oil which is a pound a bottle. Green astra blades 5 quid for 100 from bestshave.net and a merkur 37c slant. It is a 2 pass perfect shave every time and very quick for in those mornings your in a hurry.

Associate
My previous results left me patchy in places and irritated and raw. What annoyed me most was that I was telling a friend in work who then bought a wilko plastic de shaver and came in the next day with a face smoother than glass. grrr

I started the same way but within a few days got rid of this. Key items were knowing the direction of hair growth, applying no pressure on the razor. I also stopped doing WTG, XTG, ATG and now only ever do a WTG and XTG. Before DE I was going ATG on my first pass without knowing hence getting mass neck irritation. My neck hair grows from a west to east direction and slowly ends up in a S/W to N/E direction.

Back
Top Bottom