***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
I'm about to order the following:

Edwin Jagger DE89L Lined Detail Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor
Edwin Jagger Super Badger Shaving Brush with Drip Stand - Medium, Imitation Ebony
Edwin Jagger Black Porcelain Shaving Soap Bowl With Handle Rn46
Proraso Shaving Soap Jar (large) 150ml
Gillette 7 O' Clock Double Edged Razor Blades
The Executive Shaving Company Black Acrylic Razor Stand

This will be my first foray into "manly" shaving. Only ever used the usual cartridges up to now.

I haven't left anything off the list have I?

Soldato
Swarfega is right. While I want feathers now, it's because I originally bought a 'selection pack' and have found they're the ones that suit me best.
Perma-Sharps I also found good.
Shark on the other hand I had to throw away my pack of after one shave each with two of the blades.

Soldato
I'm about to order the following:

Edwin Jagger DE89L Lined Detail Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor
Edwin Jagger Super Badger Shaving Brush with Drip Stand - Medium, Imitation Ebony
Edwin Jagger Black Porcelain Shaving Soap Bowl With Handle Rn46
Proraso Shaving Soap Jar (large) 150ml
Gillette 7 O' Clock Double Edged Razor Blades
The Executive Shaving Company Black Acrylic Razor Stand

This will be my first foray into "manly" shaving. Only ever used the usual cartridges up to now.

I haven't left anything off the list have I?

Pre-shave oil, Alum bloc, balm (unless you already have this stuff)

Soldato
I bought a H2 plate to compare to my Above the Tie razor R2 yesterday, just got to wait for it to cross the pond.

My iKon Slant head should be on its way to it's new owner in Sweden at the weekend.

Soldato
OP
Had my first "incident" this morning. Dropped my blade in the sink and on the way down it managed to skin the back of my thumb on my other hand. A very neat and tidy slice right down the back of it, just like the butcher had done it on his meat slicer :p queue much blood and manly teeth baring.

I bought a H2 plate to compare to my Above the Tie razor R2 yesterday, just got to wait for it to cross the pond.

My iKon Slant head should be on its way to it's new owner in Sweden at the weekend.

Let me know how you get on. I wan't to try some new razors soon!

Soldato
Let me know how you get on. I wan't to try some new razors soon!

Will do, the R2 is my favourite modern razor head, i use it on my Weber bulldog or UFO handle. The ATT Atlas and iKon bulldog handles will probably be the next things i sell on.

The H2 is meant to be around a Fatip/R41 '13/iKon Standard. The R2 is a touch milder than those, but very efficient.

Associate
Recently joined the DE club. Started on derbys but they seem to tug a bit but might by my technique. I have got a nice sample pack to work my way through if i dont get on with them

Soldato
Tried Gillette 7o'clocks the other day as a free gift from ShavingShack. The first few err.. motions? were amazing but it went blunt and scratchy very quickly, disappointing. Back to the lovely Feathers.

Associate
just bought a tub of proraso sandalwood & shea butter soap.

it smells divine ! also got 30 wilkinson sword blades to go with the soap, good times.

Soldato
Which are the right personna blades, they are one of the few I have yet to try.

I have found some on connaught shaving which say "hospital use", are those the ones?

Associate
after three goes with the derbys and making a right mess of my neck i moved on to the sharks and had a much better shave. i think my technique has got better so its not all down to the blade but i wont be going back to them soon

Caporegime
If you have a lot of the Derby blades lying around, it's always worth going back to them when you really know what you're doing. You might be surprised at how much a difference in your technique works with a blade you previously found unusable.

Having said that, I don't rate Derbys at all so you should throw them in the bin.

Soldato
OP
Yep, there are very mixed reviews on the Derby's, I don't get on with them. I've now finished all my Gillette 7 o'clocks and on to my 100 pack of feathers. These will definitely be my blade of choice always.

Back
Top Bottom