***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Tried the feathers in my last couple of shaves and they've not really worked for me. Decent shave on the face, but the neck was still a little bristly afterwards.

To be fair I did have 3 day's growth rather than the two I normally have, but I did trim it down first.

They weren't as fearsome as I was expecting though.

Caporegime
Feathers are some of the sharpest blades you can buy. They're not fearsome unless you don't know how to hold a razor.

What did you trim your growth down with? What do you use to shave with? Which blades have worked better?

Soldato
Tried the feathers in my last couple of shaves and they've not really worked for me. Decent shave on the face, but the neck was still a little bristly afterwards.

To be fair I did have 3 day's growth rather than the two I normally have, but I did trim it down first.

Are you doing the three passes and tidying up? With a good DE safety shaver, the correct technique and Feather blades, I don't see why you'd have bristles left.

Soldato

Which razor are you using out of interest?

Any of my OC razors take off a week+ worth of stubble for me with any blade, they don't clog up with longer hair like safety bar razors, especially mild ones with a small blade gap.

Feathers are good for the first shave for me, the 2nd they are just ok.

I prefer smooth blades like Astra SP's, 7 O'Clock Black's & Polsilver SI's in medium to aggressive razors.

7 O'Clock Yellow & Greens (Russian & Indian) along with Rapira Super Stainless in milder razors.

Caporegime
So I have my technique down with both Derbys and Astras, but I just can't get as smooth as I can with a Fusion Proglide without going against the grain, which results in ingrown hairs.

I'm doing 4 passes, down, right to left, left to right, and another down, and it's fine for 24 hours, but I am quite stubbly after that.

I can do 2 days stubble free with Proglides and, weirdly, even my Braun electric shaver (used it on holiday, took much longer, but baby smooth in the end).

FFS

Soldato
Cheers I might start doing that too. I was changing them every 5 or so shaves but on the 4th and 5th shave I can feel them becoming blunt and the shave isn't as smooth. I'm using a mix of Derby's and Wilkinson Sword.

Soldato
Do you really need to change it that often?

Ive seen some people say they get 10+ shaves out of a blade but I never get more than 3-4 out of a Feather, it just starts to pull at hairs instead of chopping through them.

Plus the blades are so cheap why not experiance a nice sharp blade every 3 shaves?

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;26670166 said:
Sharper blades and shave daily. I'd be astonished if a Fusion is giving you better results than a good blade/cream/razor/technique combo.

Shaving daily defeats the purpose, I'm trying to get the most number of non-stubbly days per shave I can.

Shaving daily means using up more of my time, and eats in to the cost saving of DE Razors.

Soldato
Shaving daily defeats the purpose, I'm trying to get the most number of non-stubbly days per shave I can.

Shaving daily means using up more of my time, and eats in to the cost saving of DE Razors.

But it's great man-time!

Seriously though, if you have a good, researched technique and all the correct products, but your Pro-glide thingy is doing a better job then don't feel bad. Everyone's skin, beard and facial structure are different, so there's always one weirdo like you Krooton! :)

Soldato
Well I've joined the bang wagon.

I was looking for a new electric shaver. My current shaver needs new foils but they don't seem to be readily available any more. Where they are available they cost £50 ish.

So I figured I fancied a change. :)

Man of Honour
I still rely on the Mach 3. I did used to use a cut throat then moved to a safety razor, but as I've got lazier I've moved to "easier" shaving.

What astounds me is the fact that you can buy a new Mach 3 + lots of blades for the same prices as 8pack of replacement blades. It's infuriatingly expensive.

Tempted to go back to a safety razor - don't think I have it in me do use a cut throat any more :(

Back
Top Bottom