***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
just had my second good shave using a shark. wont be going back to the derbys. they arent for me!

still got a good selection to work my way through too

Soldato
I ordered a few things from yourshaving.com today.

They just got the new Proraso green aftershave balm i wanted to try in stock (only released in Italy so far).

I'm also nearly out of Menthol stuff, so got a pre-shave and soap to go with it, along with the new Lea refill puck and Myrsol blue to try.

Soldato
Had my second shave last night. I'm quite enjoying the change. Its just taking me a little bit more time!

I've used a Derby blade for my first two shaves and I felt that last night that it just wasn't cutting. I could feel the resistance from the whiskers but they wouldn't cut cleanly. It took a long time to get a close enough shave. Maybe its just my technique at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Yep, try other blades and it's important to let your beard soak for a bit under your lather. Soften it up. Holding the blade correctly at a good angle will improve your technique.

Soldato
Folks, quick question please:

I've been de and/or straight shaving for some time now and obviously love it. My main problem is that I always get a spot or two in the shaved areas...it's not immediate, but after a day or two they will appear.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong; I never cut myself, very little alum sting after shaving, have used a variety of blades (all the usual), creams (tobs, trumper proraso etc) and a variety of post shave stuff and nothing seems to prevent it.

Any thoughts? Ta!

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;26712353 said:
What do you wash your face with? Did you get spots before you started shaving properly?

I don't typically wash my face...wait a second that sounds odd - what I mean is I just use water when I have a shower, no specific product.

I did have spots as a teen but don't get any now as an adult, aside from post shave...!

I have even tried cold water shaving - I think that makes it slightly better but not so much fun on cold winter mornings!

Soldato
My order from yourshaving.com arrived today from Spain (it took 1 week), very well packaged and great prices. I definitely recommend them and will use them again.

There is a 15% off voucher if you search google. Which helps out with the shipping costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;26717263 said:
Some good prices there :eek: Wonder if they ship here?

The prices are good aren't they, even UK soaps are cheaper there than if i walked down to St James's in London. Proraso/Floid etc.. much cheaper than normal.

The new Lea Classic soap is very nice, i used it yesterday - it pretty much acts like MWF, but with a mild sandalwood scent and light menthol.

Soldato
Very interesting site, Spaceman - thanks for sharing. Can you tell us how much the shipping cost and for how many items?

Soldato
I bought these, shipping was 13,50 euros, but the voucher took 4,85 euros off.

1x Proraso menthol soap
1x Proraso menthol pre
1x Proraso menthol aftershave balm
1x Lea classic soap refill
1x Myrsol Blue

Shipping costs for Europe
up to 500g: 7 euros
up to 1 kg: 10,50 euros
up to 2 kg: 13,50 euros
up to 5 kg: 23 euros

The Proraso menthol aftershave balm has only been released in Italy.

I asked them if they could get hold of it (as they have good prices for Proraso), 2-3 weeks later they email me to say they have it in stock :D

Soldato
My Above the Tie H2 plate arrived yesterday, i had an excellent shave with it last night, it shaves just like the R2 but closer.

I would compare the shave to a Fatip (with Bulldog handle) or iKon Standard (2013) as it is a very smooth shaver. Not at all like the R41 '13, but gives a very similar result.

Associate
tempted to place an order on yourshaving but can only find a 10% off voucher. anyone help me out with the 15%?

Last edited:
Associate
yourshaving order turned up yesterday. I ordered monday evening so pretty impressive delivery. sadly i was out and its been dropped at my local post office so cant pick up til saturday now

Back
Top Bottom