***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Really enjoying my shaving. I'm still on my first Wilkinson sword blade and have got 4 or 5 shaves out of it. It still seems sharp with no tugging :)

Associate
picked up my order from the post office today. Everything was very well packaged and Jose chucked in a couple of freebies.

Had a slight issue which Jose resolved immediately demonstrating excellent after sales care.

Postage was less than a week and his prices are really good. I will be buying most of my stuff from here now. thanks spaceman for mentioning yourshaving

Caporegime
Just bought a gillette fusion proglide to see if it saves me any time in the morning.

Thoroughly underwhelming shave, annoying and tuggy and takes a million passes to get as close as the 34c. This morning I went back to the DE and did one pass (for speed) against the grain with a new feather blade...ahhh, that's better! I think this might be my weekday method from now on. Not sure how forgiving a used blade will be with a single pass (with buffing) against the grain, but we'll see.

Associate
IMG_20140823_103531.jpg

Soldato
OP
I have somehow finally began to run out of shaving cream (I had half a dozen pots).

Just ordered some more and gone for the old faithful TOBS Sandalwood plus some Truefitt and hill West Indian Limes.

21% Cashback at Shaving Shack through topcashback.co.uk

Associate
Question, how long should I expect a real badger brush to live? I've replaced one already (within a year) as it was leaving lots of hairs on my soap. I replaced it and this has started to do the same thing. I'm generally pretty careful with them. The only thing is I rinse it under a running tap and give it a gentle squeeze to get the excess water out. It then sits on its bottom to dry rather than upside down in a drop stand.

Don
I had to go through a "burn-in" period with my brush before it stopped shedding regularly (I'm talking months).

I store my brush in the same way you do

Associate
worked my way through quite a few blades and finally got to the feather. seems the best for me so far with the DE89. still got one or two more to try though plus a fa tip to use

Associate
Decided to have DE shaving a go and bought the following:

Edwin Jaggar DE89L
Proraso Shaving Soap Jar
Proraso Pre Post Shave Cream
Edwin Jagger Badger Shaving Brush
Derby Blades

First shave went well no cuts/bleeding :D
Really like the Proraso menthol smell its like vapor rub which is nice/relaxing
The derby blade Im not sure yet as Im still adjusting my shaving method

Couple of questions though for the experienced DE shavers

Is it normal that the blade seems far away from edge? I had to tilt the razor a bit for the blade to touch the skin
Also when using the Proraso Pre Post Shave Cream as a post shaving balm do I rinse it off or just leave it there?
I havent used a combo cream before so Im not sure

Soldato
I hold the razor at more or less 45 degrees.
Derbys are very forgiving though, I think most consider them a beginner blade (only used 2 before I moved on to the next set)
I've just ordered the Pre/Post cream myself, my guess is treat it like an aftershave balm but if someone could answer....

Associate
Cheers for the clarification about the razor positioning. Just need to get used to the angled shaving process then.

Ye I read that the derby blades are good for beginners that why I chose it. I will give other blades a go after I finish this 10 pack

Back
Top Bottom